Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
AA has become a greedy grinch this season, and AA's releasing of space for standard priced ("SAAver"-level) mileage tickets at this time for US-LHR travel (in economy class at least) has become worse than it's ever been. AA is making even CO and DL at their worst look relatively generous for this time of year.

The relative lack of attention to this issue on FT seems to indicate that AA can easily get away with these kind of customer-unfriendly shenanigans with very little scrutiny and barely a whimper from even those who are pretty well focused on developments in the airline "loyalty" program(s).
After a quick look at the loads for US-LHR flights, it does seem strange that there isn't more award availability. Maybe everyone at IM is off for the holidays??
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sensei
After a quick look at the loads for US-LHR flights, it does seem strange that there isn't more award availability. Maybe everyone at IM is off for the holidays??
It's AA saying "BAh, humbug!".

It's been like this for quite some time this year, and it has nothing to do with IM being off for the holidays. AA has become greedy in this regard, well before this week and the prior couple; and customers recognizing such has nothing to do with any sort of grumpiness. AA's just not as generous as before with customers, and AA is a lot more greedy than usual for this time of year.

AA as the US airline "loyalty" program industry Scrooge when it comes to US-Europe travel.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Have you tried LAX MIA LHR?
Or LAX DFW LHR?
Or above via ORD?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
fwiw re greedy grinch mrs soho and i were upgraded with evips lax--lhr RT this xmas, a few days before our trip from supersaver coach tix.

AA has become a greedy grinch this season, and AA's releasing of space for standard priced ("SAAver"-level) mileage tickets at this time for US-LHR travel (in economy class at least) has become worse than it's ever been. AA is making even CO and DL at their worst look relatively generous for this time of year.

The relative lack of attention to this issue on FT seems to indicate that AA can easily get away with these kind of customer-unfriendly shenanigans with very little scrutiny and barely a whimper from even those who are pretty well focused on developments in the airline "loyalty" program(s).

With mileage ticket inventory release and related pricing practices like this, the idea of accumulating AA miles becomes a lot less attractive.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:14 am

AA not very Christmas spirited

I posted same issue for Caribbean destinations last week. Every place like Belize, Jamica, Grand Caymans is at least 35,000 miles every day one way next Nov. after mid month. Obviously they can not be sold out already. So our dream trip of 50,000 miles both ways now jumps to 140,000 miles if taken after Nov 15. Not seen any helpful options except buy a ticket or travel in summer!.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold
It's AA saying "BAh, humbug!".

It's been like this for quite some time this year, and it has nothing to do with IM being off for the holidays. AA has become greedy in this regard, well before this week and the prior couple; and customers recognizing such has nothing to do with any sort of grumpiness. AA's just not as generous as before with customers, and AA is a lot more greedy than usual for this time of year.
They are also being very stingy in releasing more than one business seat per flight to other European destinations, like Madrid. I was able to get one seat only for outbound AA36 and return AA 37 DFW-MAD-DFW for Oct.-Nov. I checked very single day next year for 2 bus seats at the saaver level of 50K each way. There isn't a single day in all of 2012 that there are 2 business seats available on the AA flights to/from Madrid. So I ticketed my husband and I one bus and one coach seat so we'd be on the same flights. IB hasn't released any business seats either for their flight ORD-MAD.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregillinois
I posted same issue for Caribbean destinations last week. Every place like Belize, Jamica, Grand Caymans is at least 35,000 miles every day one way next Nov. after mid month. Obviously they can not be sold out already. So our dream trip of 50,000 miles both ways now jumps to 140,000 miles if taken after Nov 15. Not seen any helpful options except buy a ticket or travel in summer!.
I would chalk it up as AA now are far more "dynamic" when it comes to releasing award seats - instead of a set amount of seats at set time, now they release the seats more closely related to actual demand. For period several months out, let along 10 - 11 months out, when there is no discernable revenue sales pattern yet, they simply dont release award seats.

I have a MIA-LIM that I really want to change the date to May or June from the January date. The best I could do now is to move it to April which has only 3 days in the whole month have Saaver seats - after I took the 2 on one day, now there are only 2 days left. The whole May has 0, the whole June has one date which is outside the offpeak period.

So, it has nothing to do with holiday as April, May and June certainly dont fall into any kind of holidays, not even school holidays but there are no Saaver coach offpeak seats MIA-LIM, not even on the redeye.

I would just check periodically, especially when one to two months out from departure.

Meanwhile on another award, there is no J award seat out from 8 daily MIA-LAX direct flights 3 weeks from now - but there are enough connection flights via DFW or other airports so I can get a MIA-DFW-LAX-HKG in J booked, and even able to extend it once. (It has to have award seats in the next 5 days before the agent can extend it for 5 more days.) I can see at least half of the MIA-LAX direct flights the F section is pretty full - like only 1/4 or less space left - so naturally AA would not release the award seats until very close to departure if it ever does it.

With the reduction in capacity, this is going to be the norm that we all have to deal with it.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"The whole May has 0, the whole June has one date which is outside the offpeak period."

Happy, is this a stand-alone MIA-LIM award, or is it the tail end of something like Hawaii-MIA-LIM? If the latter, you do not have to worry about whether the MIA-LIM segment falls within the peak or off-peak period. It is only the date of the first segment on the award itinerary that has to fall within the off-peak period.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if i were aa, i'd rather have have 1 paid seat than a few decreases in the mi's outstanding...
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: Various
When folks post here about the difficulty of getting SAAver awards, please state your status level if it is not shown in your profile.

I have been satisfied with getting award availabilty for the past 6 years or so that I have held different levels of elite status (mostly EXP). Over the past few months (now PLT) I've noticed less available, and less agents willing to offer to help out. If would be nice to know if this is the direction AA is taking (not EXPECTING anything) so we can gauge how to work it all out.

I caved in and used miles for an AAnytime award for my flight ORD-LAX this week. Understandably it is the holiday season, but it still seems they are not even releasing seats during the last 24hrs, even if seats are open.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Or wait until more award seats are released.... You seem to be under the erroneous impression that all award seats are released at 330 days out.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by clacko
if i were aa, i'd rather have have 1 paid seat than a few decreases in the mi's outstanding...
That seems to be the approach AA is taking on some routes, even when the seats are available for deep discount economy class regular paid ticket bookings but not for the traditionally standard mileage ticket price level.

It is customer-unfriendly changes like this (including on same day or next day bookings) and the AA fuel surcharges on mileage tickets that reconfirm my decision to diversify away from AA's program more than would be the case prior to last year.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, BA
AA Milesaaver Redemption

I have been trying to schedule four seats using AA Milesaavers for any dates Nov. 16 through Nov. 19 from DFW to Kona, Hawaii. The onsale date should have been Dec. 21.

I've checked morning, noon, night, and late night everyday since Dec. 21 with no luck. I've also checked HNL and OGG. There are also no Milesaavers from DFW to LAX, SFO, ORD, NYC. Can I assume they have not released Milesaavers yet? Anyone have some insight into this?

I am AA Gold and and will be using BA miles for the AA tickets to Hawaii.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
they may have released some & they are gone....others may be released from time to time....have you looked for 1 award?.....there may not be 4, but maybe 1,2, or 3 could be done now....
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Clacko, I wondered about them being gone as well but thought it odd there seem to be no milesaaver flights to anywhere during that time. I checked for 1 as well with no luck. Thought it could be because of Thanksgiving but was wondering if someone else knew something more. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.