Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I repeat: JL award seats are never displayed on aa.com. You must call AA, or use some third-party website, to check JL award-seat availability.

I'm not sure what you mean by "standard" awards. AA offers "SAAver" and "AAnytime" awards; AAnytime awards are only valid on AA metal.
I was just checking anytime rewards not standard to see if JAL was even listed. I can call AA to see if JAL is offering any Saver Award seats.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by imprezu
Hello all.. I'm trying to book a flight from PNS,MOB,GPT, or MSY to NRT one way on the 27th. If I have to I will fly out of LAX but I am not seeing any availability for Milesaaver or any availability from JAL. When will AA or JAL release their award seats in that time frame?
You're trying to go tomorrow?? AA has economy availability tomorrow from DFW-NRT on two non-stop flights. JL has availability from LAX tomorrow in all class except F, but it leaves at 1:35 p.m.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
You're trying to go tomorrow?? AA has economy availability tomorrow from DFW-NRT on two non-stop flights. JL has availability from LAX tomorrow in all class except F, but it leaves at 1:35 p.m.
Oops.. I typo'd and did not include the month. I meant March 27th 2015.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imprezu
I was just checking anytime rewards not standard to see if JAL was even listed. I can call AA to see if JAL is offering any Saver Award seats.
Do you really understand what guv1976 tries to tell you, TWICE?

JL flights are NOT shown on aa.com. It is one of the partners that aa chose NOT to show their flights online but you must call to find out IF you do not learn how to find the availability via other means.

Standard award means Anytime award - they are one and the same. Partner flights are only available in Saaver award.

To save yourself time and effort before calling AA to randomly checking your dates, sign yourself up a BA account or a JL account, then do your search over their sites. Once you find the seats work for you, call AA and tell the agent EXACT city pair, date and flight you want. This way the agent could immediately zero in to check if they are there.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Do you really understand what guv1976 tries to tell you, TWICE?

JL flights are NOT shown on aa.com. It is one of the partners that aa chose NOT to show their flights online but you must call to find out IF you do not learn how to find the availability via other means.

Standard award means Anytime award - they are one and the same. Partner flights are only available in Saaver award.

To save yourself time and effort before calling AA to randomly checking your dates, sign yourself up a BA account or a JL account, then do your search over their sites. Once you find the seats work for you, call AA and tell the agent EXACT city pair, date and flight you want. This way the agent could immediately zero in to check if they are there.
I found the flight I wanted on JAL using BA and contacted AA. I was able to book 2 seats at 25k per person. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
checking Qatar or Etihad award availability

Never tried myself but heard earlier that I can check partner airlines award availability on their websites by creating an account say for Qatar, and then calling AA to ask agent to book those tickets.

Part of me says it's not possible since Qatar award booking through AA miles, might have different availability than Qatar award booking through Qatar miles.

Thoughts?

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy in addition to AA agents who I spend lots of time checking random dates for international flights, because I can't see their availability online on AA.com. This will give me more control.

Another question - if an itinerary involves both Qatar and AA, then I'll need to piecemeal together looking on both websites right?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Never tried myself but heard earlier that I can check partner airlines award availability on their websites by creating an account say for Qatar, and then calling AA to ask agent to book those tickets.

Part of me says it's not possible since Qatar award booking through AA miles, might have different availability than Qatar award booking through Qatar miles.

Thoughts?

If I'm wrong, I'll be happy in addition to AA agents who I spend lots of time checking random dates for international flights, because I can't see their availability online on AA.com. This will give me more control.

Another question - if an itinerary involves both Qatar and AA, then I'll need to piecemeal together looking on both websites right?
I would recommend creating a BA or JL account and then getting a sub to KVS. Well worth it - you can get a two month trial for something like $20. Much, much easier than creating a bunch of different accounts which won't sync with actual AA availability anyway.

If you use KVS and find availability, then it's easy to call in to AA and ask an agent to piece together your desired itinerary.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Finnair

I'm looking for a Finnair Business MileSAAver award ticket.
I checked both aa.com and also ba.com.
The ticket I want is not available at aa.com, but ba.com shows it's available.

Does that happen all the time?
If I call AA, does the phone agent find different availabilities from aa.com?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I'm looking for a Finnair Business MileSAAver award ticket.
I checked both aa.com and also ba.com.
The ticket I want is not available at aa.com, but ba.com shows it's available.

Does that happen all the time?
If I call AA, does the phone agent find different availabilities from aa.com?
Did you search for individual flights, or is there a connection? It's possible AA won't show something if for example one leg has an award available in business but the other does not.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by rrgg
Did you search for individual flights, or is there a connection? It's possible AA won't show something if for example one leg has an award available in business but the other does not.
There is a connection at HEL.
I also checked individual flights but both two flights were not available on the date at aa.com...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
What is KVS?

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I would recommend creating a BA or JL account and then getting a sub to KVS. Well worth it - you can get a two month trial for something like $20. Much, much easier than creating a bunch of different accounts which won't sync with actual AA availability anyway.

If you use KVS and find availability, then it's easy to call in to AA and ask an agent to piece together your desired itinerary.
What is KVS?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:59 pm

What is KVS?
A tool that allows one to search many airlines for award seats, among other tasks. Be aware that it is a subscription service (though many, including myself, consider it money well-spent).

KVS Tool website

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lity-tool.html
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
A tool that allows one to search many airlines for award seats, among other tasks. Be aware that it is a subscription service (though many, including myself, consider it money well-spent).

KVS Tool website

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lity-tool.html
Definitely money well spent when you consider that for $75/year, you can find mileage awards that otherwise would cost thousands. It takes some getting used to but is the best $75 I've ever spent.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 pm

What is KVS?
A service that takes data from the airline websites and sells it to you. There are web-based alternatives such as http://AwardNexus.com which has a free version for FT members.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Looking to book a business class multi city trip to Europe for next year and so far I've found availability but involving overnight connections in one direction and airport changes in the other. Am I right that I can book whatever I can find now and then as long as the origination and destination change, I can change when I find better routings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.