Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:05 pm
Suspended

There are many worse places in the world to be stranded.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ehallison
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
No urgent need to do that. All awards are one-way now. Book the outbound now. Book the inbound when it becomes available.
Thank you! I've never had to book anything other than routine round-trip awards, so I hadn't paid attention to that.

I guess the same is true for our Europe trip, then. Book the outbound as soon as we can find it, and then book return when it becomes available.

This whole Sydney thing makes me a little nervous; I'm trying to picture me telling our 20yo: Sorry, honey, you can't come home yet, there's no milesaaver availability!
I would be more concerned about whether the Australian authorities would admit her into the country if she did not already hold a ticket for the flight home. But I expect that award seats for the return flight will open up well before she actually flies to Australia.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Thanks everyone you are the best. One more question on award booking if anyone has experience

I am actually trying to fly JFK-MIA-LAX and it keeps coming up in search engines. Its 25k first class JFK-MIA then business on the 777 from MIA-LAX.

When i select this flight it says "The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request." Just called to try to it and the agent said she sees it keeps coming up in searches for her too but wants to charge me for both a business and first class award for 50k. Is it not allowed to combined them. It keeps coming up in AA searches for multiple days. Are you not allowed to combined these awards on a 3 class aircraft?

It keeps popping up on multiple days this summer but wont book on any. Both flights are available as single segments.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bdlman
It keeps popping up on multiple days this summer but wont book on any. Both flights are available as single segments.
It sounds like the res system won't accept JFK-MIA-LAX as a valid routing for a single JFK-LAX award. That is consistent with a couple fare rules I checked (quickly).
Old May 1, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bdlman
Thanks everyone you are the best. One more question on award booking if anyone has experience

I am actually trying to fly JFK-MIA-LAX and it keeps coming up in search engines. Its 25k first class JFK-MIA then business on the 777 from MIA-LAX.

When i select this flight it says "The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request." Just called to try to it and the agent said she sees it keeps coming up in searches for her too but wants to charge me for both a business and first class award for 50k. Is it not allowed to combined them. It keeps coming up in AA searches for multiple days. Are you not allowed to combined these awards on a 3 class aircraft?

Do you get the same result when attempting to book the award using the multi-city booking engine?
Old May 1, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by ehallison

1. My daughter is attending a study-abroad program in Sydney from Feb-June 2014. I can book an award ticket right now for the outbound, but the return is obviously not available. Do I just book a dummy return date, and then in July 2013 hope & pray a ticket for her return date is open to move to? There's no fee for this, right? (she'll be flying on a COACH award ticket!)
If you join Qantas Frequent Flyer (QFF) you can get an idea of return flights as they become available. QF lists awards online about 22 days before they are seen on AA. You won't be able to book them on QF course but it will give you an idea of what's coming up. Remember to search for awards from SYD/MEL/BNE to both LAX and DFW. She can also travel via HNL or NAN using a muli-city search.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by guv1976

Do you get the same result when attempting to book the award using the multi-city booking engine?
The multi city brings it up at 50k. Just tried.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:15 pm

Saaver for kids - Paid tiks for adults
This was my plan to get the family to Hawaii for spring break 2014:
Book First Saavers for 2 kids (age 12 and 9 next year) as each one-way becomes available;
Book RT coach for my husband and I as soon as return date is available and upgrade to First with miles/copay (been tracking availability on ExpertFlyer for both buckets).
Today, I tried to book the ORD-DFW-HNL First Saaver awards, but could not do it for two kids. I called AA to confirm they could change names and they said no problem as long as it's only on hold and not ticketed. So I changed one of the kids' names to mine and put it on hold. Problem is that I really need a 10 day hold and not 5 because the return date for our purchase won't be available for 10 more days. I had really wanted the two paid tiks under my husband and me because we want to earn the miles on this trip. But is that not going to be possible? Any way around this?
Old May 2, 2013, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Could you explain concisely what the exact problem is and how that relates to awards instead of purchased tickets?
Old May 2, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by chosmom
Saaver for kids - Paid tiks for adults
This was my plan to get the family to Hawaii for spring break 2014:
Book First Saavers for 2 kids (age 12 and 9 next year) as each one-way becomes available;
Book RT coach for my husband and I as soon as return date is available and upgrade to First with miles/copay (been tracking availability on ExpertFlyer for both buckets).
Today, I tried to book the ORD-DFW-HNL First Saaver awards, but could not do it for two kids. I called AA to confirm they could change names and they said no problem as long as it's only on hold and not ticketed. So I changed one of the kids' names to mine and put it on hold. Problem is that I really need a 10 day hold and not 5 because the return date for our purchase won't be available for 10 more days. I had really wanted the two paid tiks under my husband and me because we want to earn the miles on this trip. But is that not going to be possible? Any way around this?
One possibility is you book a dummy return date and then change it later (if I've understood you correctly).
Old May 3, 2013, 7:53 am

Sorry for not explaining my question very well. It comes down to trying to book 2 Saaver awards for kids only - no adult on the itinerary. The adults would get added as purchased tickets later (when return date becomes available). Is there any way to do this?
Old May 3, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by grussellt
If you join Qantas Frequent Flyer (QFF) you can get an idea of return flights as they become available. QF lists awards online about 22 days before they are seen on AA. You won't be able to book them on QF course but it will give you an idea of what's coming up. Remember to search for awards from SYD/MEL/BNE to both LAX and DFW. She can also travel via HNL or NAN using a muli-city search.
Thanks for those ideas, too.

Another complication is that she won't be accepted to the program until October. I don't want to wait until then to get the ticket, and risk having to pay $2500 for the ticket. So I think we'll get it fairly soon and risk having to redeposit the miles.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Easy to get

5 MS in J/First from LAX -NRT-Bkk Bkk-HKG-LAX early 2014. I continue to have little problem using my miles.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
This is my first year AAdvantage elite; I really want to like the airline and its partners, but I am finding it increasingly frustrating to find any meaningful award travel out of SFO, my home base. From what I can gather, any award redemption to europe is severely bottlenecked by limited availability to ORD, JFK or LAX. For example, there are quite a few ORD-HEL Saaver award flights still available over the summer, but none of them are available out of SFO.

I'm trying to be optimistic and hope it gets better with the merger, but I notice that US has almost nothing out of SFO either.

Are my options either to "grin & bear it" or switch to UA, who shares a major hub with my home base? I'm afraid that due to convenience I'm tending towards the latter right now...
Old May 9, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sanfran767
This is my first year AAdvantage elite; I really want to like the airline and its partners, but I am finding it increasingly frustrating to find any meaningful award travel out of SFO, my home base. From what I can gather, any award redemption to europe is severely bottlenecked by limited availability to ORD, JFK or LAX. For example, there are quite a few ORD-HEL Saaver award flights still available over the summer, but none of them are available out of SFO.
I'm trying to be optimistic and hope it gets better with the merger, but I notice that US has almost nothing out of SFO either.
Are my options either to "grin & bear it" or switch to UA, who shares a major hub with my home base? I'm afraid that due to convenience I'm tending towards the latter right now...
As an AA EXP in the Bay Area, I never had a problem. Then again, I would usually use my AA miles to go west on CX. Your first problem is that you are looking for summer travel in May. Most award seats are long gone.

If you like AA, but prefer *A options to Europe, you don't have to "switch to UA". Just load up on Chase credit cards. Lots of options and lots of sign up/threshold bonuses. I "earned" 750K UA miles last year but less than 10K came from actually flying UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.