Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There is no consensus about the second type of fare, as it is constructed.
Well, the thousands of examples of people around here having used such routing rules to ticket AAwards seems to indicate that AA uses them. I've even changed OMA-ORD-HKG-BKK to OMA-DFW-LGA(stopover)JFK-HKG-BKK without incident. The rules for OMA-BKK are of the exact same type as those I pasted for HKG-SLC. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 25, 2013 at 1:36 am
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The routings for HKG-SLC on CX in EF are of the following two types:

The consensus seems to be that AA does not like routings of the first type, since it's constructed with connecting points specified, but will accept the MPM-based version shown later. HKG-NYC-DFW-SLC is within the 25M level.

Thank you everyone for the replies!!

Probably won't try again for a few months, but will try at some point and see what happens with attempting to change the date on the lga-dfw-slc leg.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have no status with AA. If I want to change my award

1) from HKG-SFO (CX)
SFO-JFK (AA)

to HKG-JFK (CX)

2) from SIN-NRT-YVR (JL)
to SIN-HKG-YVR (CX)

Do I have to pay change fee in these 2 cases ?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by choupeo

1) from HKG-SFO (CX)
SFO-JFK (AA)

to HKG-JFK (CX)

2) from SIN-NRT-YVR (JL)
to SIN-HKG-YVR (CX)

No fee required (AFAIK) - others will correct me if I am wrong
Old Apr 23, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choupeo

1) from HKG-SFO (CX)
SFO-JFK (AA)

to HKG-JFK (CX)

2) from SIN-NRT-YVR (JL)
to SIN-HKG-YVR (CX)

No fee.

As long as your O/D remain the same, (HKG-JFK, SIN-YVR), routing changes among OneWorld MEMBERs are free to anyone. Note: emphasis is on Members. AS for example, is NOT member. Therefore if your itinerary has AS, that would incur $150 fee.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Well, the thousands of examples of people around here having used such routing rules to ticket AAwards seems to indicate that AA uses them. I've even changed OMA-ORD-HKG-BKK to OMA-DFW-LGA(stopover)JFK-HKG-BKK without incident. The rules for OMA-BKK are of the exact same type as those I pasted for HKG-SLC.
There is no consensus about the second type of fare, as it is constructed.
<redacted> for everybody else it's pretty definite as per the abundant evidence provided in the thread. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 25, 2013 at 1:38 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
A couple of posts have been redacted or removed to clean up some unnecessarily personal exchanges.

A gentle reminder to avoid letting things get personal. If you disagree with another member, put forward facts and logical arguments. Don't get personal. If you feel another member has violated one of the FlyerTalk Guidelines & Rules, please take the steps as outlined in those rules rather than posting a personal reply in public. Thank you!

~Moderator
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: AA, Delta
LAX-JFK-FCO

Dose anyone know if AA offers a MileSAAver award seat on LAX to JFK to FCO?
and if they do how many seats usually are offered at 20,000 miles?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
You can book this award as NA-Europe Off-peak (Oct 15-May15). You will not necessarily get direct flights but you can have a NY stopover. The earlier you book the better. A dummy booking as LAX-JFK/JFK-FCO will let you know what seats are available now but of course this can change. Estimating future award availability is in the lap of the Gods!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mitchandjeanette
Dose anyone know if AA offers a MileSAAver award seat on LAX to JFK to FCO?
and if they do how many seats usually are offered at 20,000 miles?
AA only flies its own metal to FCO seasonally (from ORD & JFK), generally from around early April to late October. As mentioned above, the 20k off-peak award to Europe is only available Oct. 15 - May 15.

If you must be on AA metal and have the LAX-JFK-FCO routing, that's a small window. Otherwise, there are plenty of other ways to get to FCO using partner carriers in the off-season. Some of these require a call to AA to book.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:23 pm

I'm currently in first on flight 2456 from SFO to LAX on 5/7 at 12:30 and would much prefer to be on the later flight 741 at 2:30.

Has AA been releasing more saver award inventory in the final days before a flight?

Are there any other ways to get onto the later flight in first short of buying a ticket outright?

I unfortunately don't have any status.

Last edited by Comenius; Apr 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:08 am

Attempting to book 4 award tickets to Oceania next spring for 4-6 weeks Feb.-March. Not too much trouble except I cant find any availability on return leg to home airport (MSP) from HNL or LAX or DFW in mid to late March. I think I may be running into a spring break blackout, but am not sure. Any advice? On a side note I would love to fly Hawaiian airlines new HNL-AKL route, but HA is only releasing award space to Hawaiian mile users right now. Anyone had any success getting a partner airline to release award space?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm planning 2 international trips for 2014 and need some assistance in figuring out how to book award travel when the return date is >330 days.

1. My daughter is attending a study-abroad program in Sydney from Feb-June 2014. I can book an award ticket right now for the outbound, but the return is obviously not available. Do I just book a dummy return date, and then in July 2013 hope & pray a ticket for her return date is open to move to? There's no fee for this, right? (she'll be flying on a COACH award ticket!)

2. Hubby and I want to book a summer 2014 Europe Business Class trip. We'll be able to be flexible with dates only within a few days on either end, because there will be a cruise involved. (possible destination: BCN, although this might change as we haven't made a firm decision on the cruise yet). So, again, we'd like to grab outbound seats if/when they become available, but with the return 2-3 weeks later, how can we book those if the availability window isn't open yet? Edited to say - we might be willing to fly coach on one of the legs if absolutely necessary - and have enough miles that we could fly first on one of the legs if business is not available.

Any advice is appreciated (or even if you can point me to a past post that addresses this - I promise I've read dozens of random pages in this thread looking for answers!)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ehallison
My daughter is attending a study-abroad program in Sydney from Feb-June 2014. I can book an award ticket right now for the outbound, but the return is obviously not available. Do I just book a dummy return date, and then in July 2013 hope & pray a ticket for her return date is open to move to? There's no fee for this, right? (she'll be flying on a COACH award ticket!)
No urgent need to do that. All awards are one-way now. Book the outbound now. Book the inbound when it becomes available.

Originally Posted by ehallison
Hubby and I want to book a summer 2014 Europe Business Class trip. We'll be able to be flexible with dates only within a few days on either end, because there will be a cruise involved. (possible destination: BCN, although this might change as we haven't made a firm decision on the cruise yet). So, again, we'd like to grab outbound seats if/when they become available, but with the return 2-3 weeks later, how can we book those if the availability window isn't open yet?
You cannot book a flight before its availability window opens.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
No urgent need to do that. All awards are one-way now. Book the outbound now. Book the inbound when it becomes available.
Thank you! I've never had to book anything other than routine round-trip awards, so I hadn't paid attention to that.

I guess the same is true for our Europe trip, then. Book the outbound as soon as we can find it, and then book return when it becomes available.

This whole Sydney thing makes me a little nervous; I'm trying to picture me telling our 20yo: Sorry, honey, you can't come home yet, there's no milesaaver availability!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.