Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by PhilWW262
I'm really interested to why why I can't find AA flights to OGG that link to AA TATLs fro 12-16th February 14. And will that stick or will they become available at a later date?
I'm sure you know the answer-Hawaii is a popular destination in February and AA can sell a lot of tickets so awards are limited. You're trying to get 6 tickets on two popular routes-TATL and US-Hawaii. Welcome to the world of reward redemption.

If you can cancel without penalty, you have a huge tool at your disposal. In such case, I would definitely lock-in the TATL portion, them set-up alerts on Expert Flyer for the connections to Hawaii. Also, I don't recall if you mention going thru HNL to get to OGG but if not, I'd put those on alert too.

Another thought is that I think when setting up a Hawaii trip recently I saw that if you look for, say, LAX-HNL, you can book LAX-SFO-HNL. If you can get to LAX with what's available now, you might be able to get to one of those AS flights that way. Then you would know you can at least get there and set alerts for the better routing directly from LAX.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:05 pm
Suspended

No weekend First class award availability on AA?!

Hi,

I am trying to get a First Class award ticket to LAX from PHL via DFW in July, but it looks like there is no availability... I checked every weekend and everything looks close. When I check DFW-LAX I find something open, but when I look at PHL-DFW everything is closed... I find it hard to believe that all these flights to/drom PHL are already full?! What's going on??!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you need to drop off something at dfw?

there are 1st awards phl-lax every day in july....

edit to add... 6/13 shows multiple flights via dfw in front...

Last edited by clacko; Apr 6, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I would suggest you try to book by phone rather than on line. I wanted to book to EZE or MVD, could find nothing in J or F on line, but got just what I wanted by phone.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:31 pm
Suspended

I did call indeed. Even the agent found it strange - especially because in at least 2 flights she found zero bookings...
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
No weekend First class award availability on AA?!

Are you looking for aanytime or saaver? If you're trying saaver then you're likely just SOL. Try the seating chart to see if there are available seats and if so, aanytime may be your only option. Though as it gets closer to your flight, more may open up, though unlikely on a DFW flight.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:57 pm

We have a consolidated thread for assistance and discussion of MileSAAver availability.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Keep in mind that FT T&Cs require you to search for an existing thread before creating a new one.

I see Z availability PHL-DFW-LAX on:

7/9, 7/10, 7/13, 7/16, 7/17, 7/20, 7/23, 7/24, 7/27, 7/30, 7/31.

You don't specify why you need to connect in DFW, but removing that restriction, there is First Class MileSAAver availability literally every day in July from PHL-->LAX.

I am curious as to how exactly you checked for PHL-DFW and what you asked the agent to lead you to say there is no availability.

Edit: I missed that you wanted flights on weekends. 7/13, 7/20, and 7/27 are all Saturdays. There is also Z inventory on PHL-DFW-LAX flights on 8/3.

Also, AA has no obligation to release SAAver availability on any route, although I consider AA decent at doing so (better than DL, at any rate). You always have the option of using an AAnytime award. You are not booking early by any means, so there is a good chance many Z seats have already been taken.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Apr 6, 2013 at 8:05 pm
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed; we have merged the new query into the existing thread. Also note the title information - there are probably plenty of award seats, it's just that most are undoubtedly AAnytime awards.

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
We have a consolidated thread for assistance and discussion of MileSAAver availability.

Keep in mind that FT T&Cs require you to search for an existing thread before creating a new one.
Originally Posted by CXtoQF
Hi,

I am trying to get a First Class award ticket to LAX from PHL via DFW in July, but it looks like there is no availability... I checked every weekend and everything looks close. When I check DFW-LAX I find something open, but when I look at PHL-DFW everything is closed... I find it hard to believe that all these flights to/drom PHL are already full?! What's going on??!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
Hi all -
Just wondering if anyone has experience with saaver availability opening up closer to a flight date.

I'm looking for an evening JFK-LAX on 11/15/13 in Y but right now its all connections, business, or aanytime.. and i need saaver since i'm connecting to QF12 in my itinerary.

Would anyone recommend I wait? or just cut my losses and book business with an additional 25k miles?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Mingiunate
Hi all -
Just wondering if anyone has experience with saaver availability opening up closer to a flight date.

I'm looking for an evening JFK-LAX on 11/15/13 in Y but right now its all connections, business, or aanytime.. and i need saaver since i'm connecting to QF12 in my itinerary.

Would anyone recommend I wait? or just cut my losses and book business with an additional 25k miles?
Does it have to be an evening (or even a same-day) flight? Since this is an international award, you are entitled to a stopover at LAX. Also, is there award space available on the QF JFK-LAX flight? (I don't think that flight will show up on a JFK-LAX search because of cabotage restrictions, but if you are connecting to another QF flight at LAX, AA should be able to add the QF JFK-LAX flight to your award if award seats are available.)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
there is availability on the QF JFK-LAX, it arrives too late however and then I'd have to fly the 747 LAX-SYD vs the A380 (was hoping to stay on QF12)

I am considering a layover in LAX - but since this the beginning of a 3 week trip in AU, I'd rather not add on extra expenses/days (hotels in LAX, cabs, etc)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
To all the experts, I am looking for 2 business class seats from uio(Quito) to ord on oct 11 or late evening oct.10 on aa or LAN . I joined expert flyer as some suggested here but nothing yet. From what I can see there is only one seat filled but mayb I am not reading it correctly. I want to use the saver award not the anytime. Do you think there is a chance? Also read that LAN seats are difficult to secure. I have tried most suggestions offered but getting anxious.
Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Mingiunate
there is availability on the QF JFK-LAX, it arrives too late however and then I'd have to fly the 747 LAX-SYD vs the A380 (was hoping to stay on QF12)

I am considering a layover in LAX - but since this the beginning of a 3 week trip in AU, I'd rather not add on extra expenses/days (hotels in LAX, cabs, etc)
Whether or not to buy now depends on how lucky you're feeling. It's possible they'll add availability, but it's far from certain. Seem safer to lock something in, especially since you're connecting. As they say, a bird in the hand ...
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
JNB-ORD AA Miles - Only economy available?

I'm trying to book a one way award ticket from JNB to ORD (well really all the way to MLI, but i'm flexible) for May. That's 6 to 8 weeks out. I looked it up on expertflyer and they say there's tons of open seats in J & F and plenty of award inventory open as well.

Looking on aa.com and calling the exp desk all they can find is Y inventory. I don't get it. I booked a ticket in Y but really would rather not subject my 70 year old mother to a double redeye if i didn't have to. I was able to get here BA J on the outbound and have the miles to do it on the return if there was availably.

Anybody know why EF would show space but AA not be able to see it or book it? Any hints on how to get this booked? IB has codeshares for that JNB->LHR flight, maybe miles on the codeshare?

CX does appear to fly to JNB. That's kind of my last hope if i can't figure out how to get BA to give me an biz/first reward ticket.

Suggestions?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by rabble
I'm trying to book a one way award ticket from JNB to ORD (well really all the way to MLI, but i'm flexible) for May. That's 6 to 8 weeks out. I looked it up on expertflyer and they say there's tons of open seats in J & F and plenty of award inventory open as well.

Looking on aa.com and calling the exp desk all they can find is Y inventory. I don't get it. I booked a ticket in Y but really would rather not subject my 70 year old mother to a double redeye if i didn't have to. I was able to get here BA J on the outbound and have the miles to do it on the return if there was availably.

Anybody know why EF would show space but AA not be able to see it or book it? Any hints on how to get this booked? IB has codeshares for that JNB->LHR flight, maybe miles on the codeshare?

CX does appear to fly to JNB. That's kind of my last hope if i can't figure out how to get BA to give me an biz/first reward ticket.

Suggestions?
Several AA partners serve JNB, including CX, EY, LY, and QF. However, use of any of these carriers would require (at least) two awards, as AA's one-way awards between Africa and North America do not permit transits via AA's Asia 2, South Pacific, or Middle East/India zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.