Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(ARCHIVE) 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Welcome to the "2015 Guide to, and listing of, compensation" thread!

In keeping with tradition, we'd like to ask members to report their compensation in the following format:

• Date
  • AAdvantage Status
  • Fare class
  • What happened
  • Compensation
  • Comments
Please, do NOT post names of non-management employees, in accordance with FlyerTalk TOS (q#69) "Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name."

JGR01 has created a spreadsheet parsing posts in this thread from 2003-2007, available for download here

AA's official policy regarding compensation for delays, cancellations, and diversions is as follows (thanks to tom911 for posting):
DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS AND DIVERSIONS

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.
• The U. S. Department of Transportation's official policy regarding compensation for delays or cancellations is as follows (thanks to hillrider for posting):
Contrary to the belief of some, airlines are not required to compensate passengers for “damages” when flights are delayed or canceled. Compensation is required by law only when you are “bumped” from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra time and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations are not unusual, and defensive planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration.
Flights to/from/within Europe carry specific compensation rights, as outlined at: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passen.../en/index.html

Also see (FT) EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

(The other compensation threads are archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

2014 Questions about, guide to, listing of, compensation (consolidated - archived)

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of compensation (archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012 - archived)

Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011 archived)

AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
When you accepted the re-route, did you discuss reimbursement for the car rental, etc... If so then you should have no problem. If you didn't work that out in advance, it might be more challenging.

A voucher is far less likely. Usually a mx cancellation yields RDM miles.
I was denied a car reimbursement verbally while rerouting.. I think they are given boilerplate answers for questions from a script and have little flexibility. This guy who was rerouting people was a contracted agent so I don't know whether or not to believe him or not. It was the same guy who put the bags on the plane who boarded people who rerouted people. The guy kinda did it all.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
I was denied a car reimbursement verbally while rerouting.. I think they are given boilerplate answers for questions from a script and have little flexibility. This guy who was rerouting people was a contracted agent so I don't know whether or not to believe him or not. It was the same guy who put the bags on the plane who boarded people who rerouted people. The guy kinda did it all.
I recognize that the following advice won't help w/the current situation - but in the future - call AA rather than dealing w/the contract agent at a small out station.

As for this situation: if you verbally denied car reimbursement, then it may be far more difficult to obtain - but call AA customer service and give it a try.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:01 am

As an update, I emailed them back, and they responded saying they apologize they thought my concerns weren't being properly addressed. Offered me and my traveling companion 10000 points each.

I am a new AAdvantage member, so no status.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by JuvenileJay
Hello,

I received my response from messaging AACustomerRelations. Any ideas on next steps? The message is below:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. On behalf of US Airways and American we welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

I'm sorry your flight didn't operate as scheduled when you traveled with us on February 18. Our records indicate that the disruption of flight 2295 from St. Lucia was due to adverse weather conditions. I know you were inconvenienced. Without question, we did not provide the level of service you expected.

While it is certainly our goal to operate each and every flight as planned, we have the responsibility to make changes to our schedules to resolve problems caused by weather, flight conditions, mechanical difficulties or other operational challenges. Accordingly, it is not an airline industry practice to assume financial responsibility for our customers' personal time lost or for out-of-pocket expenses when extenuating circumstances prevent us from operating as planned nor do we offer compensation for weather related delays . I am sorry.

We are disappointed to learn about the unsatisfactory level of service provided at our ticket counter in Miami during your flight delay. Meeting the highest expectations of our customers is our primary goal and we are sorry we failed to deliver the level of service you expect and certainly deserve from us.

Your observations with regard to the lines and shortage of agents available for assistance with delayed passengers have been reviewed with the Passenger Service Managers responsible for this area of our operation.

We value your opinion of our service and appreciate your business. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to address your valid concerns and to correct the service issues you mentioned. We look forward to serving you again soon as you travel through our Miami hub.

Sincerely,

Brenda L.
Customer Relations
American Airlines

My original message below:
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I recognize that the following advice won't help w/the current situation - but in the future - call AA rather than dealing w/the contract agent at a small out station.

As for this situation: if you verbally denied car reimbursement, then it may be far more difficult to obtain - but call AA customer service and give it a try.
Thanks for the advice, I did try that. AA had a 2 hour estimated wait, even on the Gold hotline. Given the storm brewing at DFW, I couldn't afford to spend 2 hours in limbo. Will call now and see what they can do.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Blue :-) AA Gold Million Miler; Accor Platinum; IHG Spire Elite Ambassador;
Flight AA106 JFK LHR departing 7.31pm delayed for 2 1/2 hours Sunday night due to being short 100 meals!! Saturday 90% of flights were cancelled due to a snow storm so who wasn't joining up the dots for Sunday?

Flying in Business Class, didn't make a Monday morning meeting, couldn't take advantage of any meals as I was staying on UK time zone as it was only a weekend trip and had been up by 4.00am so by the time the plane took off at 10.00pm I was done in and slept the entire 6 hour flight.

Called AA today, I am AA Gold, 1 Million Miler, was routed to a supervisor who offered me 2,000 miles as that was his authorization limit. I said that was pretty derisory and restated my case, he added 4,000 miles to make it 6,000. I told him I was a member of Flyertalk :-) and that typical compensation for someone with my status flying Business should be 12,500 miles. Magically, he upped his authorization ability to 10,000 miles, which I accepted, it was enough to stop me having to go through the hassle of writing to AA and having a protracted issue to deal with.

The advice here is, keep persevering when agents offer silly amounts of compensation, politely keep making your point about the disappointment and inconvenience and there is a chance that you might get a favourable result. And dropping in FT I am sure didn't do any harm either!!! :-)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 5:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Ralphy63
I told him I was a member of Flyertalk :-) and that typical compensation for someone with my status flying Business should be 12,500 miles.
For a 2.5 hour delay? That's going to be a surprise to some here. I looked at the last few months of posts in the compensation threads and I see 10,000 for a 12 hour delay, 7,500 for a 5 hour delay, and 4,000 miles for something just over 2 hours. I'd say AA is being very generous giving you 10,000 miles for 2.5 hours.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tom911
For a 2.5 hour delay? That's going to be a surprise to some here. I looked at the last few months of posts in the compensation threads and I see 10,000 for a 12 hour delay, 7,500 for a 5 hour delay, and 4,000 miles for something just over 2 hours. I'd say AA is being very generous giving you 10,000 miles for 2.5 hours.
Agreed! But Ralphy seems to be a very good negotiator, so I must offer a "well done!"
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Is it reasonable to expect compensation? (US and AA)

I am currently on my 3rd day of trying to fly out of CLT. I flew into CLT on US Airways heading home on Friday. My connections on Friday (on AA but booked through US) out of CLT were canceled due to weather at DFW. I was booked on flights the following day on US (AA booked these flights over the phone). Now these flights were delayed (waiting for a crew) for nearly 3 hours causing me to miss my connection in ORD so AA booked me on a flight out of CLT today on US. My luggage could not be taken off of the plane according to the gate agent so now I am left with whatever is in my backpack. My final destination has been TUS until this flight was booked only putting me through to PHX where I was told that I would need to find my way via rental car to TUS because all flights PHX->TUS were booked until Monday. I have had to stay in hotels and purchase the basics (under-clothes, deodorant, etc)to get me through to today since I didn't have my luggage.

This all being said, US and AA have not provided any sort of compensation and I have been out of pocket hundreds just in hotels the past two nights. Is it a reasonable expectation to request some sort of compensation?

Last edited by Screamin03; Mar 1, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Screamin03
I am currently on my 3rd day of trying to fly out of CLT. I flew into CLT on US Airways heading home on Friday. My connections on Friday (on AA but booked through US) out of CLT were canceled due to weather at DFW. I was booked on flights the following day on US (AA booked these flights over the phone). Now these flights were delayed (waiting for a crew) for nearly 3 hours causing me to miss my connection in ORD so AA booked me on a flight out of CLT today on US. My luggage could not be taken off of the plane according to the gate agent so now I am left with whatever is in my backpack. My final destination has been TUS until this flight was booked only putting me through to PHX where I was told that I would need to find my way via rental car to TUS because all flights PHX->TUS were booked until Monday. I have had to stay in hotels and purchase the basics (under-clothes, deodorant, etc)to get me through to today since I didn't have my luggage.

This all being said, US and AA have not provided any sort of compensation and I have been out of pocket hundreds just in hotels the past two nights. Is it a reasonable expectation to demand some sort of compensation?
I'm assuming these are all weather delays so technically, no. With your status as a CP I'm assuming AA will help offset the costs with some type of compensation as a courtesy but don't expect much. The old AA put me in a hotel the few times I had an overnight weather delay and ticketed me on an oversold flight that did bump some poor slob with no status. Not sure how the new AA is handling things but sounds to me they leave you flailing now.

I'd say be courteous and polite and explain situation but praise any employees that went above and beyond trying to help in this hectic mess.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Thanks for the reply AA-FLYER-SAN. I am assuming exactly what you stated but having never been in a situation like this I was curious to hear what others have to say.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Screamin03
This all being said, US and AA have not provided any sort of compensation and I have been out of pocket hundreds just in hotels the past two nights. Is it a reasonable expectation to demand some sort of compensation?
No, it is not reasonable to expect or demand any compensation. You are the unfortunate victim of icy winter weather. There might be travel insurance coverage available for purchase that would cover such expenses, but it's unreasonable to expect airlines to insure against weather events for free.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, it is not reasonable to expect or demand any compensation. You are the unfortunate victim of icy winter weather. There might be travel insurance coverage available for purchase that would cover such expenses, but it's unreasonable to expect airlines to insure against weather events for free.
Not necessarily. Last year, PIT-weather caused my PIT-LAX flight to be so late that I missed my LAX-DEN flight, the last one of the day. AC AAngel rebooked me on the first flight out the next morning and, without prompting, gave me a voucher for The Westin LAX.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Not necessarily. Last year, PIT-weather caused my PIT-LAX flight to be so late that I missed my LAX-DEN flight, the last one of the day. AC AAngel rebooked me on the first flight out the next morning and, without prompting, gave me a voucher for The Westin LAX.
I didn't say it's unreasonable to be thankful when the airline covers some expenses for which it is not liable - only that it's unreasonable to expect or demand compensation for those expenses. Big difference.

Over the years, AA has occasionally provided me a room when AA had no liability to do so, but those experiences don't translate into a reasonable "expectation" that AA will do it every time. Same as the occasional operational upgrade.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
it's unreasonable to expect or demand compensation for those expenses.
What to expect is up to the person making the expectations whether or not it is reasonable.

For demanding, unless you were really screwed over because of the airline screwing up, it is probably unreasonable to ever demand.

However, I believe it is ALWAYS reasonable to ask airlines questions. If someone feels they deserve compensation for something, it is reasonable to ask for it. They may be denied, whether fairly or unfairly. However, I don't think it is ever unreasonable to ask if you believe you've been "wronged".
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Compensation? No. Customer service gesture? Most likely. But, tends to be token.

When you get home, shoot US a short note listing your costs and offering receipts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.