Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
On the contrary. Sifting through whitty and charming replies is my true hobby.
Touché!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Anyone else unable to select meals on their flights? Currently unable on all upcoming flights and trying to book a new one doesn't give me the chance at booking like usual...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
You have to go back out of the reservation and get back into a new one to get the meal reservation to hold.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:35 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by SquareRainbow
I emailed US customer service and commented that ice cream should be served AFTER the meals. (just as a friendly reminder to them)

Got an email back 30 minutes ago. It was a canned reply and offered me 7,500 miles to thank me for my troubles. I sure hope I didn't get the flight attendant in trouble.(which was NOT my intent)
Gotta love their consistency.

You get ice cream served out of order and get 7,500 miles.

I dealt with the angriest, rudest ticket agent ever and get a 'we will look at it' and zero miles.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sky303
Anyone else unable to select meals on their flights? Currently unable on all upcoming flights and trying to book a new one doesn't give me the chance at booking like usual...
It was down for me a couple days ago also but came back the next day. Check tomorrow assuming you aren't within 24 hours.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

I dealt with the angriest, rudest ticket agent ever and get a 'we will look at it' and zero miles.
Ice cream is the most important meal of the day.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Be thankful for that-- otherwise you'd have to find a new hobby.
LOL best comment all year
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
AUS-LAX S80 Dinner

It was described as prime rib, but I would say pot roast is more accurate.

https://goo.gl/photos/2kyJQ9jbft2jFUZX7
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Dan6681

Please make this nasty dish go away
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

I knew I should have "complained" more. Could have easily scored another 7,500 miles.

The FA brought out the breads AFTER everybody had nearly finished their meals.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Important question, what day was the flight that you had this on?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Please make this nasty dish go away
Could be a pre-change leftover.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
From the pictures, still no tray liners. While it's nice to hear the food MAY be better (but probably not what it was pre - 9/1), still disgusting to see it served on gross hospital cafeteria style trays with cheap paper liners. So unappetizing.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Personally, while I hope they sort the linen thing out, I'm reasonably pleased to see what looks like genuine improvement. Good enough that it may be worthy of "almost as good as pre-9/1" praise

What pleases me most is that transcons also seem to have been somewhat improved, on top of minor positive changes in recent months. Watermelon radish in the salad is a decidedly neat touch, for example. I have a couple of three class F trips in September and am actually thinking they might be outright good.

At this rate, they may even figure out the deal with the steaks by then
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by camachinist
If mine was the 'bad' one, that's likely because I don't normally photograph food and was using my cell phone. Even under the best of circumstances, the dish looked 'disheveled', meaning presented in a mediocre manner. The lobster was buried under the cheese and everything was kind of pushed together. Looking at the picture another member posted of their meal after I'd posted mine, yep, it's obvious. Theirs was plated in a superior manner and they photographed it better.

However, IMO, it was quite tasty and with good seasoning, to my palate anyway. Yes, as I was disserviced and had no idea what was being served, it came as a surprise, a pleasant one. Then came the fear, based on what I'd been reading on FT. I said screw it, ordered another G&T and went for it Yep, makes sense. IMO, if they were to add a hot vegetable, it should be heated and plated separately, using a small plate like the appetizer on my other flight came in, or a salad plate. As it was, that steak dinner seemed spartan.

I hope you're not disappointed. For myself, a full meal service helps pass the time when flying, besides being food, since I fly for pleasure and don't work on the plane. Yesterday, it was a pleasant way to pass about six hours of flying.
Actually, I think yours looked a little better to me, but when I saw the close-up on Kurt's I saw the sear that I missed originally... So I think they both look good.

There are some challenges with plating things separately... One being that it's better to keep the same number of dishes floating consistently around the system by using the same number of service pieces per tray as much as you can. Another is that the US flights already don't have enough oven space to keep up with the current meal specs without painful juggling -- any vegetable added would almost certainly have to be cold.

There are plenty of reasons I think it's important for airlines to serve meals in first class, but this is one of the less tangible ones that is closest to my heart. Nothing makes time pass faster and more enjoyably, for me at least, than being fed a nice meal.

Originally Posted by cmd320
On the dishes that are sauce, I really wish they would plate it separately in a side ramekin as they used to pre-9/1. That was really the ideal way of presenting that IMO. Peoples' taste for amount of sauce varies greatly and by offering it on the side, it accommodates pretty much everyone. Pre-9/1 they were able to keep the proteins from drying out without saucing them before cooking, so if they could maybe get back to that prep method that would be preferable. Another possibility would be to train FAs to 'drain' the dishes prior to serving on the ones which don't really have a sauce component, but still encounter some level of flash flooding.
I strongly disagree that the pre-9/1 meals were never dry. I had chicken MANY breasts especially that I could have (and probably should have) used as either door stops or shoe heels. Some were fine, but some of them could definitely have used a little better production planning and were deficient by design, not by cooking mistakes

You may be on to something with the draining! I think the liquid is fine in some cases, but someone definitely needs to pour off the omelette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.