Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2015 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of. This Wiki covers both AA and US flights, but as of September 2014, AA and US offers identical meal service domestically, so that part of the merger has its' harmonization completed.

Basically, in its' best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Last updated: 7/26/2015 2:33pm, MrAndy1369
Print Wikipost

2015 Combined AA/US Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
I strongly disagree that the pre-9/1 meals were never dry. I had chicken MANY breasts especially that I could have (and probably should have) used as either door stops or shoe heels. Some were fine, but some of them could definitely have used a little better production planning and were deficient by design, not by cooking mistakes

You may be on to something with the draining! I think the liquid is fine in some cases, but someone definitely needs to pour off the omelette.
Do you remember which any of these were by any chance? I never had a problem with the cornmeal or almond encrusted chickens, italian/herb chicken, barbecue chicken, chicken marsala, or any of the chicken offered with the salads. Maybe the chicken with Bearnaise and fava beans, though I admittedly can't remember the last time I had that one.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:21 pm

Anyone interested in seeing a review/have suggestions of any of these? Upcoming lunch/dinner flights this weekend.

Roasted Vegetable Ravioli
With roasted vegetables and tomatoes in a light cream sauce
OR
Grilled Chicken
Served chilled with cobb salad and creamy cilantro dressing

Chicken with Red Pepper and Olive Tapenade
With quinoa polenta
OR
Four Cheese Ravioli
With lemon Alfredo sauce and tomato bruschetta

Last edited by TheSkyGuy; Aug 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by DylanOakes
Anyone interested in seeing a review/have suggestions of any of these? Upcoming lunch/dinner flights this weekend.

Roasted Vegetable Ravioli
With roasted vegetables and tomatoes in a light cream sauce
OR
Grilled Chicken
Served chilled with cobb salad and creamy cilantro dressing

Chicken with Red Pepper and Olive Tapenade
With quinoa polenta
OR
Four Cheese Ravioli
With lemon Alfredo sauce and tomato bruschetta
Interested to see the pasta dishes and how they are different from pre-8/1. They were the safest dishes post 9/1.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by Longboater
Interested to see the pasta dishes and how they are different from pre-8/1. They were the safest dishes post 9/1.
8/3: 5 cheese tortellini or blackened shrimp with grits. Had the tortellini - was practically inedible. The other choice didn't look too good either - the grits looked like something from a construction site.

My $0.02: the food has been going downhill fast. Even the nuts were stale. The guy in front of me gave me Subway envy.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
Flew F on this flight. Seat was great, tons of room and the FA made the entire trip here are some links to food pics. Food was all very very good. Presentation was just as nice as the pictures too. Only negative was your standard beef being overcooked on airplanes

http://gyazo.com/0b838d1d30ce83d33fea1f8d24fba973

bread/drinks. The pretzel bread was beyond amazing. Absolutely incredible

http://gyazo.com/a7bcf3a5c1df62fe06c6602b7e03a4c6

spicy crab cake with sushi rice and avocado. Basically a massive piece of sushi. This was incredible and im certainly not a fish eater usually. Avocado was awesome. Also had a side of wasabi

http://gyazo.com/266e2160405fa906fe8d8ffffa1aab63

field green salad with watermelon radish. I choice the vinaigrette dressing. There was not nearly enough for my liking

http://gyazo.com/fe6e3fdb3689038ef52e2775a31b50bc

The main event, Beef Oscar! Beef with crab on top (i received like a triple helping for some reason). Crab was light on flavor but was good. Steak cooked to death as always (should have asked for rare). Potato was spot on and asparagus was delicious and not over cooked. Very impressed

http://gyazo.com/76d475953bbc7fba3fb93a52b6e81d72

This beauty here was delicious! Also interesting wasnt on the menu lol. Espresso mousse cake. I decided to get it because im tired of ice cream (although my friend with me had it ((ben & jerry's)) and said it was incredible). The mousse was extremely light, great flavor and nice crust. Great way to end the meal!

Shortly before landing they brought ''warmed on board" cookies. These definitely arent as good as the baked on board were but it was still very tasty. Nice and hot, not burned at all. Overall I rated this meal as an A-/B+. I have flown on US/AA/DL/UA and had many meals domestic,tcon, intl and this ranked VERY favorably. Overall better than DL transcon food. Service as mentioned was incredible. Awesome FA really enhances the experience!
You rock, I was curious when we would see the new offerings, I have this at the end of the month (same order actually), and it looks great, thanks for sharing!

I've got the breakfast offering on the flight to JFK (turkey, bacon, and herbed cream cheese omelet)...

Last edited by popoemt; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:46 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Dan6681
It was described as prime rib, but I would say pot roast is more accurate.

https://goo.gl/photos/2kyJQ9jbft2jFUZX7
At least the beef tasted exactly the same as the rice..............
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plt, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold
Sfo-mia 763

Originally Posted by aw
I agree with you. SFO-MIA used to be treated as a premium transcon before the merger with printed menus and similar catering. I used to take the afternoon nonstop and now it has gone from a 767 to a 738. There is a lot of connecting passengers on that flight to different parts of South America and I remember the premium cabin being occupied by a large percentage of them.
It looks like they're bringing back the 763 (with the new business class config) for the 11:30 SFO-MIA flight (AA68) in November. I have pretty great memories of the soft product on that aircraft on that route (incl. the 7:00 a.m. MIA-SFO return), but I never had similar warm and fuzzies when flying the 757 or 738s on the same route. Any chance the soft product/service might improve with the aircraft?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysTheTourist
Any chance the soft product/service might improve with the aircraft?
No. The aircraft does not determine the soft product unfortunately. The day MIA-SFO sees a service upgrade will be the day the rest of the standard transcons see the same. At the moment, that day is only a dream.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
No. The aircraft does not determine the soft product unfortunately. The day MIA-SFO sees a service upgrade will be the day the rest of the standard transcons see the same. At the moment, that day is only a dream.
True.

Competition and the market determines the level of service not distance, a route with zero competition isn't going to see an upgrade. The only possible contender for an upgrade right now would be LAX/BOS if JetBlue is successful with their Mint product on this route and the legacies decide to upgrade to match.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
True.

Competition and the market determines the level of service not distance, a route with zero competition isn't going to see an upgrade. The only possible contender for an upgrade right now would be LAX/BOS if JetBlue is successful with their Mint product on this route and the legacies decide to upgrade to match.
There are many gourmet TV dinners at the frozen foods sections that are 10 times better than what these airlines serve in domestic first class. (sure, the TV dinners are the higher priced ones, around $6 to $9, but at least they taste great)

If airlines provide microwaves, I'm bringing my own TV dinner.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Alright is anyone able to tell me if they just have no meal service on the 6:20PM DFW-TPA. I can't select meals for my flights upcoming (first one is 8/9) and even when trying to book future flights on that particular segment, I don't get the option... If anyone is able to see them please let me know what the options will be for the flight on 8/9 just so I can hope for one of them lol...
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sky303
Alright is anyone able to tell me if they just have no meal service on the 6:20PM DFW-TPA. I can't select meals for my flights upcoming (first one is 8/9) and even when trying to book future flights on that particular segment, I don't get the option... If anyone is able to see them please let me know what the options will be for the flight on 8/9 just so I can hope for one of them lol...
I would guess that's its just a glitch with the pre-ordering system. When you look at the schedule, it's flagged as a "dinner" flight.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sky303
It should have a dinner service. Pre-order has its ons and offs. You probably just caught an off time.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Had the shrimp and grits lax-rdu today for the first time. They were ok. The appetizer was mozzarella and tomatoes which was ok but had no sauce or balsamic which was odd. The salad - a wedge with blue cheese bacon etc was much better. All in all it was ok, but no where near as good as transcontinental food lax-jfk. The presentation of the grits was odd. Like a brick, but tasty.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:59 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
I asked what the policy was so someone can plan ahead. I asked if it was Eastbound from forward and Westbound from aft or even FEBO (none of which happened on this flight)

I got to chat with the angriest FA ever. Heard about how the company does not care about them, how the FAs hate the pilots (unless they are sleeping with them) and how the pilot have fistfights. She was an East FA, and it definately showed.

Here is the response from AA:

There's no official guideline for meal service. It doesn't depend on flight number or direction of travel.

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Aug 9, 2015 at 10:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.