Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The 10% mileage rebate (to a maximum of 10,000 miles per card per year) is ending 1 May 2019.

FAQ: Holders of certain Citi and Barclays cards receive a 10% miles rebate on awards

Q. What are the basic contours of the AA 10% rebate on miles redemptions?
A. Holders of certain "open and active" credit cards issued by Citibank and Barclays are eligible for a 10% rebate (up to 10,000 miles per calendar year) on award redemptions. Having more than one qualifying card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate (no "double dipping").
Which Citibank credit cards qualify for this benefit?
The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Citi-issued cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or other Citi Business cards.
Q. Which Barclays credit cards qualify for this benefit?
A. The rebate program applies only to primary card holders of these Barclays-issued cards:
  • AA Aviator Red
  • AA Aviator Silver
  • US Airways Premier World (no longer issued)
It does not apply to the Aviator or Aviator Blue cards.
Q. So if I have a qualifying Citibank card and and qualifying Barclays card, will I get double the rebate?
A. No. As stated above, having more than one qualifying card does not increase your rebate.

Note that if you have at least one qualifying Citi card and at least one qualifying Barclays card, your rebate will be processed as two separate transactions with half attributed to each card. (For example, if you redeem 40,000 miles, you will see two separate AA mileage credits of 2,000 miles.)
Q. How soon should I receive the rebate?
A. In most cases, the rebate posts within minutes after processing of an award redemption. On your AA transaction details it will show a 10% deposit on the same line as the mileage redemption, so it's all in one place.
Q. What if I redeem miles now for an award flight next year?
A. For purposes of the 10,000-mile annual rebate cap, the date that matters is the date the award is issued, not the date on which the award will be used.
Q. Do I have to use my AA card to pay any taxes/fees in order to receive the rebate?
A. No. You do not have to pay with your AA card.
Q. Does the rebate apply to AA partner flights?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book an award for someone else?
A. The rebate--subject to the annual 10K cap--applies to all award redemptions of AA miles.
Q. Does the rebate apply if I book a Citi/Barclays Reduced Miles Award?
Q. What happens if I claim an award, get the rebate but later cancel the award?
A. The rebated miles for an award that is canceled will be "clawed back" by the card issuer.
Q. What happens if I'm short a few miles for my award, but the rebate would fulfill the miles needed when applied?
A. Nothing. This is a rebate. The miles are rebated (soon) after you secure the award, not before or during.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: AAdvantage Citi / Barclays 10% miles / mileage rebate (ends 1 May 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
According to OMAAT, this benefit will be eliminated on all CC:

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-credit-cards/
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Calboy9903
I see reports of ticket cancellations restoring and not restoring the 10% rebate used. Can someone who has changed or cancelled recently tell me if the a new award was able to use the restored rebate?
you have to call in to aa custom service.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
You may be right. I was recalling, or perhaps misrecalling, that Citi had switched it up & started charging for the first year.
Definitely not. 1st year AF is still waived, both on public and targeted offers, both business and personal.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/co...e-credit-cards for public offers.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:37 pm

So if Barclays is eliminating this benefit as of 05.01 would I get miles back if I book before that but fly after?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tenant13
So if Barclays is eliminating this benefit as of 05.01 would I get miles back if I book before that but fly after?
You would. The posting actually is NET of the 10K rebate when your miles are deducted at ticketing.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to buy 4 mileage upgrades, without having them attached to a flight yet?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have read about rumors of eliminating the 10K anniversary night for the AAviator. Has that been confirmed?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Yes, it has
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:57 am
In memoriam

How can Citi justify canceling the 10% benefit on May 1 if the card renewal date is say, September 1? It doesn't make sense, since when a card is renewed it should not be possible for Citi to remove benefits before the renewal period expires. After all, the benefits were "purchased" at renewal.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:06 pm

They don’t have to justify it, they just do it. I believe there may be federal restrictions on brand new cards which is why some folks still get 6k EQD on the Silver Aviator), but none if you’ve had the card more than a year (although I’m not an expert and would love to be proven wrong).

seems particularly deceptive on the part of Barclay who announced new benefits in place of the EQD loss on the Aviator card. Maybe some people care about the free food on the plane but I don’t as I get it free now.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
They don’t have to justify it, they just do it. I believe there may be federal restrictions on brand new cards which is why some folks still get 6k EQD on the Silver Aviator), but none if you’ve had the card more than a year (although I’m not an expert and would love to be proven wrong).

seems particularly deceptive on the part of Barclay who announced new benefits in place of the EQD loss on the Aviator card. Maybe some people care about the new free food on the plane benefit but I don’t as I get it free now.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:58 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by normcpa
How can Citi justify canceling the 10% benefit on May 1 if the card renewal date is say, September 1? It doesn't make sense, since when a card is renewed it should not be possible for Citi to remove benefits before the renewal period expires. After all, the benefits were "purchased" at renewal.
I just received an email from Citi confirming the the 10% benefit will discontinue on May 1st. Still stings even though I knew it was coming. I guess I was holding out hope for a different outcome.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 6, 2019 at 4:36 pm Reason: Highlight for readers
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by normcpa
You might be able to cancel the card and get a partial refund of the annual fee. Use the exact argument you are raising -- you renewed the card for the 10k benefit. Since the benefit is now being cancelled mid-year, you should be able to cancel the card and get a refund.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
LIkely for Hotel redemptions as wlel?

I know that most of the discussion is about the bonus for award flight redemptions. Is it expected that this will also cease for hotel reservations? Currently, elites already get a mileage discount off the published rate (when last I checked, EXP was 40%). The additional 10% made it an even 50%. Assume that this goes away as well?

And, in that case, seems no reason to keep the Platinum card as we don't spend on that and just kept it around for the deductions (and maybe wasn't even a good value there)?

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:22 pm

I was just approved for a new AAdvantage platinum personal card. I was hoping to make an award redemption in 6 days, but doubt I'll have the card by then. Is it correct to assume that the 10% miles rebate only applies after I've activated the card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.