Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guests / visitors allowed in First Class? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

We're traveling with another couple and just upgraded to First, leaving our friends a couple of rows back in Business. We recently flew VS Upper Class and their "suites" had a guest seat - and it was allowable to invite guests for a drink.

Do the F seats/suites on AA international 777 (flying DFW-EZE) have a similar design and would it be acceptable to ask the crew if we could invite them up for a pre-dinner drink once at cruising altitude?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF
We're traveling with another couple and just upgraded to First, leaving our friends a couple of rows back in Business. We recently flew VS Upper Class and their "suites" had a guest seat - and it was allowable to invite guests for a drink.

Do the F seats/suites on AA international 777 (flying DFW-EZE) have a similar design and would it be acceptable to ask the crew if we could invite them up for a pre-dinner drink once at cruising altitude?
The old suites had a seat so that you could do that. As for being acceptable, I can't imagine that happening.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Flagship Suite ottoman permits another First Class passenger to sit and eat their meal with you, not to permit someone from a lower cabin to visit First Class.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for the prompt replies. (I knew I'd get an answer here).
Thanks for helping me avoid a faux pas.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not a faux pas to ask a FA and to make it clear that the guest won't be eating with you or interfering with service in any way. Expect a "no" and be pleased if it is a "yes". Do not be surprised if the FA tells you that security rules prohibit movement between cabins.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:46 am

There's honestly no harm in asking, and I personally don't see it as a big deal. I'd have to think there's a reasonably good chance the FA will be OK with a quick drink. If you don't ask, you do of course guarantee that the answer will be no
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Boy, tough call....

How would I feel if a couple next to be, across from me, etc, was having a cocktail party in my cabin? In the new 777 it is a 25% increase in cabin load. In the old 777 only 13% more.

Probably OK if you were well behaved, well dressed and it was a 20 minute thing.

Although personally I would feel odd inviting friends 'up to see how the other half lives'...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
What would be the point of doing this? There are ottoman "seats," but they are much less comfortable than your friends' regular seats in J. If you are traveling together, presumably you'll have time together at origin and/or destination.

All of that said, I don't think it's a faux pas to ask.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
What would be the point of doing this? There are ottoman "seats," but they are much less comfortable than your friends' regular seats in J. If you are traveling together, presumably you'll have time together at origin and/or destination.

All of that said, I don't think it's a faux pas to ask.
I think the point is to socialize with your friends for a few minutes on the plane. I doubt the flight attendants will allow it but it does not hurt to ask.

On another note: is the walk-up snack bar area in the new 777-300 and reconfigured 777-200 conducive for socializing?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:31 pm
Suspended

As you can imagine, tis has come up quite a few times previously.

Tacky and against policy.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA LTP 3.3 MM, VS G, BA, Hyatt D, Hilton D
Just ask, and usually its completely fine.
I have requested this at least 4 times before with no problems.
as long as your guests are well behaved its no issue.
If the cabin is very empty its even easier.
American Airlines crew are usually very accommodating and quite relaxed.
Good luck, tell us how it works out.

Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I have done it more than once, and never been a problem.

ORD PEK Run.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
On another note: is the walk-up snack bar area in the new 777-300 and reconfigured 777-200 conducive for socializing?
There's no place to sit (or even to stand entirely out of the way), but midflight if the seat belt signs are off there are usually a few people standing there chatting.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, they would certainly be well-behaved, it would be a 15-20 minute thing at the start of the flight and I've been known to be discreet. Yes, it is a bit of "how the other class flies." but we have no need or desire to impress them. They are close friends and we're traveling together. I bought the seats for all of us in I (and got myself and my husband upgraded to A). I believe they've only flown internationally in coach and would be honestly interested in seeing the F suites.

We're in the back row of the front cabin in 4D,G and they're just a couple of rows back in 10H,F.

However, I'm generally not thought of as a tacky person (to my knowledge) so I'll demur.

Last edited by MarkBearSF; Dec 27, 2014 at 7:26 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

Personally, I wouldn't do it. You would be creating a bit of a party atmosphere and that might be annoying to someone else in F wanting to work, read, sleep or watch a movie.

It would be safer for them to stay in their seats, buckled in. As others suggested, you should ask the crew members first. If there is a hint of hesitation, then forget it.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.