Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Turbulence incidents, reports, discussion master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

DEFINITION: Aircraft turbulence (American Meteorological Society)

Irregular motion of an aircraft in flight, especially when characterized by rapid up-and-down motion, caused by a rapid variation of atmospheric wind velocities.

This can occur in cloudy areas (particularly towering cumulus and lenticular clouds) and in clear air. Turbulence is the leading cause of nonfatal passenger and flight attendant injuries. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies aircraft turbulence as follows:

Light: Causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude, and rhythmic bumpiness as occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Moderate: Similar to light, but of greater intensity, with rapid bumps or jolts, and occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Severe: Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and attitude, and large variations in airspeed, with the aircraft temporarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against their seat belts and objects are tossed about, with food service and walking impossible.

Extreme: The aircraft is tossed about so violently that it is practically impossible to control, and structural damage may occur.

Incident:.AA 280 ICN - DFW on December 16 2014 local time, operated by a Boeing 777-223ER and carrying 240 passengers and 15 crew, was subjected to a prolonged period of moderate turbulence and two minute-long sessions of severe turbulence near Japan. The aircraft diverted to NRT, where four passengers and one crew member were taken to hospital for evaluation and treatment; no serious injuries were reported.

The other passengers were bussed to a local hotel, and another aircraft took them to their DFW destination today. The aircraft was taken out of service for inspection for possible damage.

(Summary by JDiver from news sources and member calexandre, who was on board.)

Originally Posted by AA spokesperson Andrea Huguely
“American Airlines Flight 280, a Boeing 777-200 from Seoul (ICN) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) has diverted to Tokyo (NRT) because of turbulence during the flight. There are 240 passengers and a crew of 15.
FlyerTalk member calexandre was on board. B]Link[/B] to member calexandre's photos in cabin.

Link to in-cabin raw video footage on YouTube

Link to Dallas Morning News article

Link to CNBC article

Link to (UK Daily) Mail Online (gets it all wrong -"Boeing 747-200") but decent graphics, including map

Link to Tokyo TV 50 video and interviews with two passengers (Japanese language)

Link to weather.com video taken on flight and explanation of probable turbulence source

Link to to video off Boeing destructive 777 wing test (exceeded 153% of expected highest stresses expected)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by LAXative
Wow, glad to hear that calexandre and everyone else aboard is ok. I read about AA280 the day it happened, just crappy Internet kept me from posting earlier. I was on the LAX-PVG flight a few days ago, and the pilot made it a point on the PA to tell us that we were delayed 15 min from departing and would arrive 45-60 min later because a) we were taking on extra fuel because b) we would fly at 28K feet (and thus slower than normal with more fuel burn) to avoid turbulent air from a winter storm. We just got some light bumps, and after seeing this story, I'm definitely not complaining about missing the Shanghai Circus!
We had the same thing on DFW-ICN last month--vectoring around weather and staying low and slow--45 minutes late arrival. One of the few appropriate places for the phrase "out of an abundance of caution".

Normally I view turbulence (light to moderate) as a nice way to sleep--the rocking is very soothing--but this is something entirely different and thankfully quite rare. Still, though, probably hits about one winter transPac flight a month badly, if I scan my memory banks and think about it. Less common in the summer when the winds are lighter.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Originally Posted by hillrider
N751AN flew back to LAX on 19DEC as a ferry flight AA9613, arriving early in the morning (before 0530).
Thanks for the update Hill. If she flew, she has no structural damage nor any fear of structural damage. Proving once again, comments like the "wings were buckled" or whatever the FA said were way out there.....

Cheers,
AA777
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
There was no "buckling" or damage to the plane. It was back in service after 36 hours. Overweight landing inspection (required) and cleanup from all the food and mess. No structural damage.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looks like its back in the air as reported to GRU.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/KLAX/SBGR

I didn't realize with flightaware one can track a/c by tail # for AA doesn't work that with AS.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by beckoa
Looks like its back in the air as reported to GRU.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...340Z/KLAX/SBGR

I didn't realize with flightaware one can track a/c by tail # for AA doesn't work that with AS.
Though delayed almost four hours

☨DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 19DEC
LAX 740P T4 48B
GRU ☨ 145P
7LAX/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *STAR REPORT FAILED* *2159*CRCYMG
3LAX/DCSN2245 MX *0025
4LAX/OUT2243 OFF2323 *0123
2GRU/ETA1656 *0123
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Had family on AA2309 yesterday from DFW to ORD. It was supposed to be a MD-80 departing at 1:20pm. It then got delayed to 5pm and was switched out to a wide-body.

All the logs I found still show that the MD-80 flew it, but it was definitely a wide-body. A FA mentioned to my family that this was the plane coming from NRT that went through turbulence and was being re-positioned to ORD (which is why they switched out the MD-80).

Given the flight log posted above, these are not the same planes. Anyone know the back-story of this plane used yesterday?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:22 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Just saw this story now. I'd like to chime in here that flight 169 (NRT > LAX) experienced a similar condition on 22 Dec over the Bering Sea, which caused our plane to partially roll a couple of times before we were eventually pushed up to 39000 ft. The condition lasted for over 40 minutes, but we arrived an hour ahead of schedule. Not sure if it was the same storm, but it was easily the scariest flight of my life.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:10 pm

AA206 MIA-MXP severe turbulence, diverts to YYT / St. John's N.L. 24 Jan 2016

AA206

Scheduled MIA-MXP, now landed in YYT

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL206

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/america...d91d1bf122a8e5
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle
1/24: American Airlines passenger jet makes emergency landing at St. John's Airport

Yikes. Hopefully everyone is ok.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Local media here reporting on twitter that 3 people removed from the aircraft on stretchers/backboards. Two are supposed to be crew (FA's). Looks like plane will be overnighting here before continuing on tomorrow PM.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
AA206 MIA-MXP diverted to YYT due to severe turbulence encounter 24 Jan 2016

Just seeing a news clip that AA206 scheduled MIA-MXP was diverted to YYT. Apparently they experienced severe turbulence and several pax + FAs have been taken to hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ohns-1.3418056

I hope the folks injured will heal rapidly!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:29 am

Good to know that they are all safe!

They are all being put in the Delta hotel in St John now, and I guess AA has to fly in a possibly a replacement plane with crews.

"Always fasten your seat belt whenever you are seated."

Carfield
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Ironic but today the only AA flight leaving YYT is back to Miami. Do you suppose it is carrying the passengers back to Miami? There is nothing showing to Milan. If so that's about 11 hours of flying to nowhere.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Ironic but today the only AA flight leaving YYT is back to Miami. Do you suppose it is carrying the passengers back to Miami? There is nothing showing to Milan. If so that's about 11 hours of flying to nowhere.
You can find an AA 206 operating YYT to MXP on January 25 (arrive January 26) on Flight Aware.

As I understand it, they ferried a plane and crew to YYT from DFW, so the plane will probably change tails before continuing to MXP.

Edit: Flight Stats and Flight Aware seem to support my previous statement. The tail of the plane which had to divert to YYT was N342AN. Tail number N388AA flew DFW to YYT early this morning, and appears to now be assigned to AA 206.

Last edited by makfan; Jan 25, 2016 at 2:44 pm Reason: Add details.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:41 pm

makfan,

You are correct. Since I posted they have updated. This has really proved costly to AA. Two planes in YYT, one to return empty to Miami plus the cost of getting relief crew up there. Not to mention the overnight stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.