Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Turbulence incidents, reports, discussion master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

DEFINITION: Aircraft turbulence (American Meteorological Society)

Irregular motion of an aircraft in flight, especially when characterized by rapid up-and-down motion, caused by a rapid variation of atmospheric wind velocities.

This can occur in cloudy areas (particularly towering cumulus and lenticular clouds) and in clear air. Turbulence is the leading cause of nonfatal passenger and flight attendant injuries. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies aircraft turbulence as follows:

Light: Causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude, and rhythmic bumpiness as occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Moderate: Similar to light, but of greater intensity, with rapid bumps or jolts, and occupants feel a slight strain against seat belts.

Severe: Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and attitude, and large variations in airspeed, with the aircraft temporarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against their seat belts and objects are tossed about, with food service and walking impossible.

Extreme: The aircraft is tossed about so violently that it is practically impossible to control, and structural damage may occur.

Incident:.AA 280 ICN - DFW on December 16 2014 local time, operated by a Boeing 777-223ER and carrying 240 passengers and 15 crew, was subjected to a prolonged period of moderate turbulence and two minute-long sessions of severe turbulence near Japan. The aircraft diverted to NRT, where four passengers and one crew member were taken to hospital for evaluation and treatment; no serious injuries were reported.

The other passengers were bussed to a local hotel, and another aircraft took them to their DFW destination today. The aircraft was taken out of service for inspection for possible damage.

(Summary by JDiver from news sources and member calexandre, who was on board.)

Originally Posted by AA spokesperson Andrea Huguely
“American Airlines Flight 280, a Boeing 777-200 from Seoul (ICN) to Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) has diverted to Tokyo (NRT) because of turbulence during the flight. There are 240 passengers and a crew of 15.
FlyerTalk member calexandre was on board. B]Link[/B] to member calexandre's photos in cabin.

Link to in-cabin raw video footage on YouTube

Link to Dallas Morning News article

Link to CNBC article

Link to (UK Daily) Mail Online (gets it all wrong -"Boeing 747-200") but decent graphics, including map

Link to Tokyo TV 50 video and interviews with two passengers (Japanese language)

Link to weather.com video taken on flight and explanation of probable turbulence source

Link to to video off Boeing destructive 777 wing test (exceeded 153% of expected highest stresses expected)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by calexandre
Here are a few from my phone. Not the best thanks to both the ongoing jiggling of the plane and the crappy camera on the iPhone 4s. Maybe next time I'm in severe turbulence I'll have upgraded to the 6.

http://imgur.com/a/LzWRz
ROFL! Let there be no next time. Great resilience, by the way. No, you.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
The interesting part of this incident is that it occurred early in flight. It's more common to read of severe turbulence causing passenger or crew injury on flights about to arrive in Asia. As much of an unwanted Six Flags experience as this was, it could have been worse in an aircraft with less fuel weight.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:00 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
The turbulence over Japan is typical for this time of year. On my flights to HKG, when you feel the turbulence, you know you're over Japan. Also, this is the part that seems to take forever. I recalled looking at the airshow and at one point, we were only traveling 389 mph, when the average is around 560 mph.

Contrast that the other day when I flew from HKG to NRT. We were traveling 798 mph! Flight departed 30 mins late and we still had to circle over NRT because of the curfew.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by econometrics
True! It makes me think of the 777 wing-bend test Boeing did. Always amazes me how far they were able to push it before it broke.

Originally Posted by ccengct
As much of an unwanted Six Flags experience as this was, it could have been worse in an aircraft with less fuel weight.
Interesting point.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
For those who flew the replacement flight - let us know what happened when you landed at DFW. Did anyone greet the plane and hand out compensation (vouchers)?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Just landed. Definitely no one with comp vouchers-- there's been no hint AA feels the need to do that. The only apology we have gotten was "sorry about the delay."

To clarify my earlier comment: the FA said rippled and bent, not ripped and bent.

New flight crew on this one-- they used the LAX based crew along with the LAX aircraft.

We did get some good-sized bumps throughout, but it felt like a massage compared to the original flight. I guess the upside here is that now I know what worrisome turbulence actually feels like, so the other stuff doesn't even register with me now.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Just landed. Definitely no one with comp vouchers-- there's been no hint AA feels the need to do that. The only apology we have gotten was "sorry about the delay."

To clarify my earlier comment: the FA said rippled and bent, not ripped and bent.

New flight crew on this one-- they used the LAX based crew along with the LAX aircraft.

We did get some good-sized bumps throughout, but it felt like a massage compared to the original flight. I guess the upside here is that now I know what worrisome turbulence actually feels like, so the other stuff doesn't even register with me now.
Thank you for all of the reports...hope to never encounter anything like this in my flying life!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:46 pm

Glad you are ok. Welcome home
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
So, do they get AAdvantage credit for both flights?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Welcome back to terra firma!

As to those asking about compensation , what did AA have to do with the delay? It was weather, as pure force majeure as you can get.

OK, let's see: AA Captain and First Officer did their job and flew the aircraft safely through severe to extreme turbulence; Flight Attendants did their job, comforted passengers; on the ground, AA arranged what could be described as seamless arrangements - easy transfer to emergency medical assistance for those needing it in collaboration with NRT authorities; bus, hotel and meals for those not; a substitute aircraft to take passengers to their destination.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:44 pm

Wow. As an engineer in the aerospace industry (aircraft engines), this hits home. All the countless design reviews and years of qual & certification testing we go through is all worth it.

the video has about a minute of severe turbulence. how long was it going on before the video began? I don't think I would be ready to fly the next day, honestly. Cheers to the flight crew for getting everyone safely on the ground.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
So, do they get AAdvantage credit for both flights?
Ha, I like this idea! This was my requal flight, so I don't need the extra miles, but I wouldn't object to the miles we flew u-turning in the Pacific landing in my account. Seems fair!

Originally Posted by dallaspopo
Glad you are ok. Welcome home
Thank you! Feels good to be on the ground... til Saturday, when I'm back on a 777 to LHR.

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Thank you for all of the reports...hope to never encounter anything like this in my flying life!
I hope not either!

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome back to terra firma!

As to those asking about compensation , what did AA have to do with the delay? It was weather, as pure force majeure as you can get.

OK, let's see: AA Captain and First Officer did their job and flew the aircraft safely through severe to extreme turbulence; Flight Attendants did their job, comforted passengers; on the ground, AA arranged what could be described as seamless arrangements - easy transfer to emergency medical assistance for those needing it in collaboration with NRT authorities; bus, hotel and meals for those not; a substitute aircraft to take passengers to their destination.
Yes, it wouldn't occur to me to ask for comp for this. Seems like bad luck and/or poor routing from the ground. The pilot and FAs kept it together and I know the FAs at least must have been scared. One said she'd been flying 29 years and never come close to this kind of experience.

Originally Posted by alo53
Wow. As an engineer in the aerospace industry (aircraft engines), this hits home. All the countless design reviews and years of qual & certification testing we go through is all worth it.

the video has about a minute of severe turbulence. how long was it going on before the video began? I don't think I would be ready to fly the next day, honestly. Cheers to the flight crew for getting everyone safely on the ground.
Count me as grateful for your testing. If anything I feel safer knowing I usually fly 777-- evidently they can really take a beating and get back down safely.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by alo53

Oh, forgot to answer about the turbulence. There were two extremely intense bouts lasting about 1-2 minutes and sending everything flying. Then between those there was enough turbulence that in C we were holding broken plates and glassware down with pillows and blankets to keep it from causing more injuries. Total we were in bad chop for probably 30-45 minutes, during which time we were shifting around from 27k feet to 36k feet, presumably in search of decent air.

We then spent a while in the bad-but-not-hitting-the-ceiling turbulence while the pilot awaited instructions as to whether to go on to Dallas or land at Narita. He knew there were injuries but also knew we might hit more crazy wind so he didn't have a plan for a good while.

I think that's pretty accurate but of course when you're experiencing it time stretches and compresses in odd ways.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened to the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21eV22fYxI
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK

there are multiple copies of it on the youtubes now.

here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rTVFB5r8E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.