Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Post-merger Heritage / Retro / Vintage Livery / Color Scheme Paint (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Post-merger Heritage / Retro / Vintage Livery / Color Scheme Paint (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Possible stupid comment alert...but it wouldn't surprise me if this were required by regulation. I'd think that being able to visually identify the operator of a given commercial airline might be necessary/helpful in some situations...
Your logic fails when considering over half of the PMUS fleet still wears US Airways titles and livery. It's permitted, with an "Operated by American Airlines Inc." by the boarding door.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Your logic fails when considering over half of the PMUS fleet still wears US Airways titles and livery. It's permitted, with an "Operated by American Airlines Inc." by the boarding door.
More importantly, the tail number accomplishes this for those who need to identify an aircraft from afar
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
More importantly, the tail number accomplishes this for those who need to identify an aircraft from afar
Guess I was thinking more police/fire heat of the moment. But understood.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I love it! Reminds me of the DC-9s that used to roar over my parents house (KSGF) when I was young. Long live TWA!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think the TWA one looks amazing, far better than I hoped for (especially as I think the Reno Air one looks pretty weak).
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cmd320
They should really have used an S80 for the TWA and Reno aircraft.
I can't agree with you!!! They won't be painted the entire MD80. Because of this, the MD80 will be retired. Only for 737-800 aircraft.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ty97
I really do wish AA had not chosen to put the current 'American' title on all of these retrojets. It throws off the flow/look of the retro liveries. That said, this TWA retrojet is the least impacted by the bad title decision and looks quite good.
Agreed. There was a mock up released several months ago that showed the heritage airline name in big letter, in the proper font. That looked way better. Even the US jets looked better with the US Name in the same color as the heritage jet, rather than making their obnoxiously obvious.

Oh well, its better than nothing, but a bit disappointing.

Originally Posted by ty97
I am no expert (so this reply might be totally off base) but my understanding is that AA could put a sticker/label by the boarding door that says 'operated by American Airlines' and that would suffice.

United's retro Continental jet (which I did not even know existed until it rolled past me at ORD yesterday) has Continental, not United, titles. I presume there is an 'operated by United Airlines' sticker by the door.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/md11forever/14428647894
Unless there was something added very recently, the pics I took the last time this bird was at the UA family day did not show any "operated by" sticker near 1L.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA needs to stop defacing historical liveries if they're going to insist on getting the base color wrong.

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
The "Operated by American Airlines" sticker is not required because the operating certificate has both "American Airlines" and "US Airways" on it. None of the unrepainted LUS aircraft have it.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:11 pm

American aircraft with retro TWA livery

A friend just sent me this. Makes me nostalgic for the old TWA days

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanAir...53160047161078
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Why is that TWA livery gray when the original was white?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA PG, MR Plat, SPG Plat50
I wasn't able to snap a picture but, saw the AirCal livery at DFW while taking the Skytram from C to A. Pretty neat to see heritage stuff.

Originally Posted by sbm12
AirCal, Reno Air and TWA 737-800s will join the AA fleet this fall. The target date was shared by Beverly Goulet at a conference this week.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Boilermaker2006
I wasn't able to snap a picture but, saw the AirCal livery at DFW while taking the Skytram from C to A. Pretty neat to see heritage stuff.
Thanks for sharing Boilermaker2006!! ^
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love the AirCal, first airline I ever flew.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...88199244_o.jpg
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by megalab
Front page of FT showed the Reno Air 737, which started service Friday.

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ph...age-plane.html
Saw this at ORD last night. For the life of me I have no idea who Reno Air was and didn't recognize the livery. I knew it would be here!
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Seen by Ms AMflier tonight at DCA:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.