Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

PLEASE NOTE: Please use this thread started for impressions, opinions, reactions, feelings, concerns, etc. Attacks on individuals or groups - members with differing opinions, pre-merger AA or US flyers, lifetime status holders, mileage runners, etc. WILL NOT BE TOLERATED;posts containing such will be subject to summary deletion (moderators may do so rather than merely redact inappropriate or disruptive content), and members posting such repeatedly may be subject to sanctions defined in the Rules / TOS.

This thread has been dedicated for "REACTION and DISCUSSION" in an attempt to raise the signal to noise ratio in the "JUST THE FACTS" parallel thread, allowing members to find germane information about the announced AAdvantage program (merged pre-merger AAdvantage, and Dividend Miles) program there.

Thank you, the AA fora moderation team

AAdvantage loyalty program in 2015 - LINK
The AAdvantage program will continue to offer three elite status levels – AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum and Gold – and you’ll still have three ways to qualify with elite-qualifying miles, points and segments. On January 1, 2015, the segment qualification requirement for Executive Platinum will move to 120, and the current 100 segment threshold will continue until December 31, 2014.

Three tiers:
  • Executive Platinum - 100k EQM / 100k EQP / 120 Segments
  • Platinum - 50k EQM / 50k EQP / 60 Segments
  • Gold - 25k EQM / 25k EQP / 30 Segments

Elite Status Benefits:
  • AAdvantage elite status members receive select reciprocal benefits to enrich their travel journey when flying on US Airways.
  • This includes upgrades on US Airways on the day of departure when available, First/Business Class check-in, priority through security checkpoints, priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, access to preferred seats, and priority baggage delivery for Executive Platinum and Platinum members.
  • Upgrades will still be different on American and US Airways flights until we have a single reservation system at the end of 2015. For now, continue flying and enjoying reciprocal benefits and the ability to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. We’ll keep you updated as we move forward with other important integration milestones.

Million Miler Program:
  • 1 Million combined miles - Lifetime Gold Status
  • 2 Million combined miles - Lifetime Platinum Status

Upgrades on American: https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/AAdvantage2015/index.jsp#500mile
  • All flights 500 miles and under, no stickers needed and are complimentary regardless of elite status for the elite members.
  • Complimentary upgrades will be auto requested for all elite levels at booking. Non complimentary upgrades (aka those needing 500mi stickers) will have to be requested manually.
  • No complimentary upgrades for Y/B fares for Gold/Platinum anymore (unless flight is 500 miles or less)
  • Companion Upgrades still will require 500mi stickers to be used.
  • 8 SWUs for EXP level and EXPs still will not earn 500mi stickers to use for companions.

2015 - January Updates:
  • Executive Platinum and Chairman's Preferred members enjoy complimentary same-day confirmed flight changes on American, a new benefit
  • Redeem all your Special Dividends by early 2015; qualification ends in December 2014

2015 - 2nd Quarter Updates:
  • Move to three elite status levels in the AAdvantage program – Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum
  • Qualify for elite status based on elite-qualifying miles, segments or points
  • Receive a 100% mileage bonus if you're a Dividend Miles Gold or Platinum member who becomes AAdvantage Platinum
  • Redeem miles for AAnytime awards and mileage upgrade awards on both American and US Airways marketed and operated flights
  • Upgrade on American marketed and operated flights before day of departure

N.B. The previous thread discussing the putative, pre-announcement AAdvantage program, entitled "Speculation and discussion of what the new merged FFP might look like (consolidated)" can be found here; it has been closed and archived.
Print Wikipost

REACTION DISCUSSION: Combined AA/US AAdvantage program announced Oct 2014 – opinions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
As I mentioned in the other thread, the e500/ sticker program works well at several levels:

(1) It monetizes the F cabin somewhat, which used to (and I hope will again) encourage AA to keep service levels decent..
Delta and UA do this by selling FC upgrades to anyone with money, which I think works better.

(2) It requires people to evaluate how much they want the seat in F, rather than giving it away for free. Economists often say that when you give something away for free rather than charge even a nominal cost, consumers treat that commodity like crap..
I always want it, but obviously more on long trips. The AA domestic FC product is really almost as crappy as US, UA and Delta's, no matter what AA Cult members say.

(3) Upgrade seats remain available for Golds with some frequency. And also for last minute flights for higher elites (bought or changed). I also have mid-tier status on US, and the US F seat maps are full often five days out. AA usually holds two seats open until the gate -- I cleared upgrades on three out of four Same Day Confirmed flight changes over the past month.
Delta has the best system here. They hold back a number of FC seats until a few hours before departure. That way last minute purchase or change high level elites still have a shot at FC. The US system has hosed me occasionally on last minute flights since they appear to fill FC with Silvers at 24 hours and don't hold back any FC seats. At least US had a good prioritization within elite level system, unlike the moronic time of booking AA uses.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
If you are going to ditch US/AA over upgrades, I really wish you good luck because you'll need it. Things aren't any better at DL. You will very, very rarely get upgraded as a DL Silver or Gold (substantially less often than at US in my experience). DL has been very aggressively selling its first-class seats. If you read the DL forum on FT, you will see people complain about this. Often, the price of F versus Y is not much more than the price of stickers would be for the same flight on AA (about $40-50 per 500 miles). I recently (as a non-status-holder) purchased a sub-1000 mile flight in F on DL for $79 more than Y. What this means is that DL is doing the same thing AA is doing-- monetizing F, but instead doing it by selling stickers to elites and giving them priority, they sell F outright to anyone willing to pay the "sticker price". As a result they can say their upgrades are free, but unless you have Diamond status, you're probably only sitting in F when you paid for it. Furthermore, while DL maintains many of the same non-upgrade benefits, SkyMiles are worth much less than AAdvantage miles for redemption. Be prepared to spend 100,000 to 200,000 miles for a transatlantic trip-- in Y. The one positive thing about DL is that it is really a very well run airline in terms of reliability and the way they treat customers. In that sense, DL is best-in-class in my opinion, but their loyalty program leaves a lot to be desired.
Monetizing F in such a way that offers PQMs isn't a bad thing. I'd upfare for $79 for 50% more PQMs - even with US's UDUs.

Just something else that's funny - I bought tickets yesterday that were about $150 cheaper for restricted F than refundable Y. Even though the trip is happening and would be cheaper for my company, I still have to buy the Y ticket. Go figure.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
The results at United were vastly different. At the 50K level, it came moderately more difficult to upgrade when just PMUA made the switch (first), but when folded in with the OnePass members it became nearly impossible to get upgraded at the 50K level -- even before TOD's got kicked up a bit with the Shares migration and the upsell systems CO had running over Shares.

YMMV on the rates because that is very circumstantial, BUT I have no doubt that upgrade rates would fall through the floor for AA Gold & Plat members as they did at UA when a similar dynamic of elites/business travelers exists.
I went thru that transition as well as a pmUA flyer, but I had the opposite experience. I fell from 1K to 2P that year and I actually had a pretty good upgrade success rate - even on transcons (not super elite heavy ones though - didn't fly them). I was doing well even out of IAH.

"Unlimited upgrades" are worthless if you never actually get any. I'd rather pay reasonably for upgrades I have a remote shot at getting than free unlimited fantasy upgrades that never clear, which was my experience at United.
And there's the rub - it wasn't worthless on US. It may be on UA and even to some degree on DL, but it wasn't on US.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
And there's the rub - it wasn't worthless on US. It may be on UA and even to some degree on DL, but it wasn't on US.
Perhaps is wasn't worthless on US alone, but the second US actually combines with AA it will be which makes this point irrelevant. Like I've been saying, the companies should have merged at the corporate level but kept operations separate. They were too different to be realistically merged into one.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by veliger
Delta and UA do this by selling FC upgrades to anyone with money, which I think works better.
US does this as well from what I have been told.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Perhaps is wasn't worthless on US alone, but the second US actually combines with AA it will be which makes this point irrelevant.
Maybe down the road, but not immediately. It's not like all the AA folks are going to start flying on US planes and vice versa. There will be harmonization and route alignment, but it's not like we're going to see seats just disappear into nothing on March 1.

Like I've been saying, the companies should have merged at the corporate level but kept operations separate. They were too different to be realistically merged into one.
I agree. I think UA and US would have been a better fit back in the day, but unfortunately that got blocked. A lot of the mergers should have been blocked.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
US does this as well from what I have been told.
Only with remaining seats after the elites have been taken care of. I can't speak for DL, but UA actively sells F seats right out from under elites waiting for an upgrade to Kettles on the cheap. See how much people love to talk about TODs in the UA forum.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
They were too different to be realistically merged into one.
Not really very different. If you had said Spirit and Qatar I would agree with you.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:20 pm

Here's what I don't get about pmUS upgrades, and why pmUS elites are so miffed about stickers:
if there's all these upgrades practically every pmUS elite has been getting for themself AND A COMPANION, from CP down to Silver, what's that tell you about demand for paid first class? There is none. They aren't making money selling first on US compared to AA making money selling first on pmAA. Do you think US should have all those big fancy seats just to give away for free at two per person, you and your companion? No wonder the pmUS first product sucked. I've flown pmUS first and it was the worst first among the big 4 DL UA AA US. And they weren't making money selling first because the product sucked and/or there weren't the number of business travelers to buy it that AA has. So what the hell, might as well give it away since nobody wants it. Not that was at pmAA

So pretend AA chose to go with unlimited upgrades for you AND A COMPANION for every elite. But NOW with the merged airline you pmUS elites are overrun with numbers of pmAA elites in quantities you've never dreamed of. It's not like suddenly there are more first class seats available for everyone. But NOW you have double? triple? MORE than triple? the number of elites, all expecting to get their upgrade for two.

GIVE. ME. A. BREAK.
your upgrade below Exec Plat was never gonna happen in this scenario. Gripe and moan all you want about losing the 4th tier and paying for your upgrades, but the fact is, you'd never have any free uprades in 2015 without being at EP levels.

Now with AA continuing to be able to sell first class to people who are willing to pay for it and generally reserving that to be elites, they can actually keep it a good product or even improve it, instead of just pass around "neverending" milano cookies and ginger ale.

You pmUS elites who don't make Exec plat wouldn't stand a chance to ever get an upgrade, let alone upgrade your companion, if you got what you want once AA flyers are fully mixed, something that hasn't happened yet due to differences in benefits, schedules, etc. btwn the two different airlines.

For those who are going to "quit flying AA after 50k", what's the use of that? Never use the benefit you just earned? That's like meeting your insurance deductible and being sure to defer more surgery till next year. Complete lunacy.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Here's what I don't get about pmUS upgrades, and why pmUS elites are so miffed about stickers
First, keep in mind that UDUs don't necessarily have to be available to every tier. For example, a four-tier program where the top two (say, 75k EQM/100kEQM) get UDU and bottom two (25k/50k) use stickers would've been perfectly reasonable as a "one from column A, one from column B" merge of the programs. And would've led to probably pretty good upgrade rates for the people getting UDUs, and would've also given the pmUS Platinums much more of a reason to stick with the program and keep putting all their flying in it.

The other thing to remember is that pmUS elites are losing a lot of benefits and really getting nothing to offset that. pmUS Silvers now have to pay for MCE where they didn't have to pay for Preferred seats before. pmUS Platinums lose the guaranteed-seat benefit, and the within-tier Special Dividends privileges, and as I explained earlier quite a few pmUS Platinums just get royally screwed by how the status merge works. And so on and so forth.

And... what are we getting in return? A run-of-the-mill domestic United States experience. Which we already had. The whole "But it's preeeeeeemium!" crap people keep bringing up gets laughed out of the room when you look at an actual premium carrier. The pmAA product, hard and soft, was at best a tiny bit above the average for a domestic legacy North American carrier (and even then, only if you were lucky enough to be able to stay on routes where AA flies planes that date from later than the Jimmy Carter administration). The route network was sketchy domestically and heavily relied on alliance partners internationally (i.e., "what did we gain over being in *A?").

So, honest question: pmUS people lost real benefits in this program announcement. What are we getting to offset that? Because right now it looks like all we get is a fat load of nothing, plus a bunch of pmAA partisans crapping on us for not liking the fact that our program got devalued down to their level for the merge.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Not sure who it works better for. It certainly comes at the cost of making the elites mad.

I always want it, but obviously more on long trips. The AA domestic FC product is really almost as crappy as US, UA and Delta's, no matter what AA Cult members say.
It didn't use to be but US management seems bent on making it more "competitive".

Delta has the best system here. They hold back a number of FC seats until a few hours before departure. That way last minute purchase or change high level elites still have a shot at FC. The US system has hosed me occasionally on last minute flights since they appear to fill FC with Silvers at 24 hours and don't hold back any FC seats. At least US had a good prioritization within elite level system, unlike the moronic time of booking AA uses.
AA almost never fills the last 2 or 3 F seats until just before boarding. In fact, on more and more flights AA has been upgrading no one until 24-36 hours out unless the F cabin is wide open.

Each airline has its own way to prioritize upgrades within elite tier. Each system will favor one group over another. Since I can plan most of my travel well in advance I'd say the AA system is perfect.

Last edited by Stripe; Oct 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
Not really very different. If you had said Spirit and Qatar I would agree with you.
This isn't relevant as Qatar does not compete domestically. There are quite a few very long threads here which seem to imply that the two airlines were two of the most opposite, including this one.

Originally Posted by ubernostrum

And... what are we getting in return? A run-of-the-mill domestic United States experience. Which we already had. The whole "But it's preeeeeeemium!" crap people keep bringing up gets laughed out of the room when you look at an actual premium carrier. The pmAA product, hard and soft, was at best a tiny bit above the average for a domestic legacy North American carrier (and even then, only if you were lucky enough to be able to stay on routes where AA flies planes that date from later than the Jimmy Carter administration). The route network was sketchy domestically and heavily relied on alliance partners internationally (i.e., "what did we gain over being in *A?").

So, honest question: pmUS people lost real benefits in this program announcement. What are we getting to offset that?
No one here is arguing that AA offers an experience even close to equivalent to that of CX, SQ, JL, QR, QF, etc. etc. Keep in mind that more premium and premium are two very different things. It's like saying 5 degrees is warmer than 1, but in no way are either warm.

You seem to imply that newer aircraft such as the 738 offer a better experience than older aircraft such as the S80. Can you quantify that with some reasoning other than simply the age of the frame?

Finally, you get to retain your pmUS catering (hopefully only until 11/18 though) as an offset and don't have to endure the horribly non-premium pmAA catering when flying up front. <redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 30, 2014 at 4:10 pm Reason: unacceptable name calling redacted
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can't say I'm surprised that most US fliers are angry....then again I can't say I care either. Most AA fliers didn't want the merger in the first place so this is the first piece of good news we've had in a long time - I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
No one here is arguing that AA offers an experience even close to equivalent to that of CX, SQ, JL, QR, QF, etc. etc. Keep in mind that more premium and premium are two very different things. It's like saying 5 degrees is warmer than 1, but in no way are either warm.
Here's what I liked about pmAA "premium services." (That is what AA officially calls certain employees plus its clubs and domestic F and business and flagship F products):

At the airport
The EXP dedicated phone line
Five Star Service (for sale)
Flagship Checkin (privacy is the truest luxury)
Flagship Lounges and partner F Lounges
Real food available (for sale) at Admirals Clubs
Gratis TSA Precheck (for EXPs -- I didn't ever have to speak to a single TSA -- it just appeared, and it has saved me hours of time)
Very good technology -- web, phone, mobile, app

In the air
Two FAs working domestic F for meal flights
Substantial salad followed by big entree
Courvoisier and ice cream, or sometimes cheese
IFE (on newer equipment)
Widebody hard product in business and flagship F
The new A321 transcons

Was it the most premium in the world? No. But it was premium enough for me. I was willing to pay for it. And I did and do pay for it -- I buy domestic F and international business occasionally on AA. I also buy domestic coach and upgrade. And those upgrades have value, and I would gladly pay the sticker cost as EXP and renounce that benefit at the drop of a hat.

I hope all of my listed items eventually return, and I hope our fellow US elites joining AA will learn to feel that the small pains of this e500 "sticker shock" are more than reasonable in exchange for these premium services.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Here's what I don't get about pmUS upgrades, and why pmUS elites are so miffed about stickers:
if there's all these upgrades practically every pmUS elite has been getting for themself AND A COMPANION, from CP down to Silver, what's that tell you about demand for paid first class? There is none. They aren't making money selling first on US compared to AA making money selling first on pmAA. Do you think US should have all those big fancy seats just to give away for free at two per person, you and your companion? No wonder the pmUS first product sucked. I've flown pmUS first and it was the worst first among the big 4 DL UA AA US. And they weren't making money selling first because the product sucked and/or there weren't the number of business travelers to buy it that AA has. So what the hell, might as well give it away since nobody wants it. Not that was at pmAA

So pretend AA chose to go with unlimited upgrades for you AND A COMPANION for every elite. But NOW with the merged airline you pmUS elites are overrun with numbers of pmAA elites in quantities you've never dreamed of. It's not like suddenly there are more first class seats available for everyone. But NOW you have double? triple? MORE than triple? the number of elites, all expecting to get their upgrade for two.
Your ignorance shows. You clearly have no understanding of how UDU works on US.

First of all, the upgrade windows started at a week out for CP. US didn't actually have to release inventory at T-7, and often doesn't. On heavier demand routes, I wouldn't start clearing until T-4 if I was lucky. As a PP before becoming a CP, sometimes I wouldn't even clear at all on CP heavy routes.

Secondly, there has to be sufficient inventory released when it's your spot on the upgrade list if you're traveling with a companion. If there's only one seat available and 2 pax on your PNR guess what happens? You get skipped! You might not even clear with a companion. I know I haven't at times. And at the airport, your companion's on their own. There were times I could have been upgraded if I were willing to split the PNR, but I wasn't making my wife ride in the back.

Thirdly, there are lot of flights I've booked that even a week out, F doesn't have much availability since it actually sold. I usually avoided those flights for a better chance at an upgrade. To say that US F doesn't sell is hogwash and ignorance at its finest.

GIVE. ME. A. BREAK.
How about YOU give US a break and cut the condescending attitude? It's an airline and we're all paying customers. It's not a social club that you just happen to be allowing US "riff raff" into.

your upgrade below Exec Plat was never gonna happen in this scenario. Gripe and moan all you want about losing the 4th tier and paying for your upgrades, but the fact is, you'd never have any free uprades in 2015 without being at EP levels.
Speculation with no proof. It also sounds like an assumption that AA capacity would all disappear and there'd be a massive influx of AA elites on US planes. You still have two airlines' combined fleets and schedules. Sure, it'll shrink some with route optimization and consolidation, but it's not like capacity's going to disappear.

And clearly, with the disdain you and your AA compadres have, I'm not worried about upgrades on US metal as you likely wouldn't set foot on it anyway.

Now with AA continuing to be able to sell first class to people who are willing to pay for it and generally reserving that to be elites, they can actually keep it a good product or even improve it, instead of just pass around "neverending" milano cookies and ginger ale.
I'd rather have Milano cookies than snack mix.

In the meantime, I'll keep searching for this orgasmic F product you AA folks keep crowing about as I have yet to experience it. There isn't that much difference in F between the legacies.

You pmUS elites who don't make Exec plat wouldn't stand a chance to ever get an upgrade, let alone upgrade your companion, if you got what you want once AA flyers are fully mixed, something that hasn't happened yet due to differences in benefits, schedules, etc. btwn the two different airlines.
See above.

For those who are going to "quit flying AA after 50k", what's the use of that? Never use the benefit you just earned? That's like meeting your insurance deductible and being sure to defer more surgery till next year. Complete lunacy.
Not really, but clearly you have difficulty seeing the validity of arguments besides your own. There are people who do that after flying 100K on an airline too. Are they stupid too?

Your argument might make sense if you started at nothing, flew your 50k, and stopped. However, they may fly their 50k, save the perks for next year and enjoy them then as they fly another 50k. That's not lunacy.

Status on a second airline can be beneficial. Not every airline or every partner goes where everyone wants to go, when they want to go. Even if you're flying in an alliance, the partner airline treats its elites better than alliance elites (LH was notorious for this) - especially in IRROPs. If things are bad an an airline at a given point in time (labor strikes, hubs subject to weather, lots of mechanicals), it gives another choice without having to be a Kettle on another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.