Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference in culture: AA and US Elites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
The difference is, of course, that AA is a Premium Airline, as evidenced by its continued reliance on those ultra-high-end flying palaces, those Ritz-Carltons with wings, the MD-80s, of which we mere mortals are permitted to speak only in reverent whispers and while shielding our eyes from the brilliance of their glory. And, of course, much the same is true of those brave Adonises, those Cadillacs of men, the AAdvantage elites, who jet off to the world's darkest places merely to light them with the glow of their heavenly auras.

Meanwhile, US Airways is obviously the most ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-low-cost carrier in the country, if not the world, and its so-called "Preferred" members are the very worst sort of boorish nouveau riche riffraff, whose "status" comes only from their willingness to accept connections (rather than flying solely paid F nonstop transcon/TATL/TPAC direct from the bustling, cosmopolitan hub metropoleis in which AA elites live) and to whip out their wallets and pay Dougie for the privilege of flying in what US so laughably calls "first class". Why, they even use stemless glassware! Any real Premium(TM) flyer would faint dead away at the suggestion of such a thing.

Anyway, that's the difference in a nutshell.
Good one ... I.B.T.L.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Thread's living up to expectations so far.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by panjabi
Rather than culture it comes down to product and who is willing to pay for what level of product. If one is not insanely biased, one can clearly see that pmUS was a very downmarket product and priced (and thus frequented by) a different segment of fliers

Now, we all want to be politically correct and not flame anyone, and thus we all keep silent but we can all see how far pmAA has fallen and (even worse) how much further it is going to fall.

There will be no happy mediums here. The new AA will end up looking just like pmUS. It is just being done in stages. The final goal of the pmUS leadership is to FULLY CONVERT pmAA into pmUS. As a simple example look at what is happening with the 772 refit. After the first batch is done with a higher number of J, the next batch will have a lower number of J and then even the first batch will be retrofitted to remove J!

In a perfect world pmAA would have merged with pmCO and would have had a broadly similar set of products. pmAA would still have been superior (due to the availability of Premium First) but the harmonization would have been easier. Also, then the newAA would have ruled Texas

Whether one wants to admit it or not, pmAA was the most premium airline in the US. pmUA, pmDL, pmNW, pmCO were all far behind and pmUS was not even considered a "real airline" ... just a collection of shaky and rattling old planes held together by desperation..
I agree very much with everything you've said. The little areas where AA used to differentiate its product in a positive way are pretty much gone or slated for removal. The real red flag should have come when DP began spouting crAAp about returning AA to a premium global airline. I'm not sure who are bigger liars, politicians or today's airline CEOs...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
Getting popcorn. Be right back.
Yep!

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
The difference is, of course, that AA is a Premium Airline, as evidenced by its continued reliance on those ultra-high-end flying palaces, those Ritz-Carltons with wings, the MD-80s, of which we mere mortals are permitted to speak only in reverent whispers and while shielding our eyes from the brilliance of their glory. And, of course, much the same is true of those brave Adonises, those Cadillacs of men, the AAdvantage elites, who jet off to the world's darkest places merely to light them with the glow of their heavenly auras.

Meanwhile, US Airways is obviously the most ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-ultra-low-cost carrier in the country, if not the world, and its so-called "Preferred" members are the very worst sort of boorish nouveau riche riffraff, whose "status" comes only from their willingness to accept connections (rather than flying solely paid F nonstop transcon/TATL/TPAC direct from the bustling, cosmopolitan hub metropoleis in which AA elites live) and to whip out their wallets and pay Dougie for the privilege of flying in what US so laughably calls "first class". Why, they even use stemless glassware! Any real Premium(TM) flyer would faint dead away at the suggestion of such a thing.

Anyway, that's the difference in a nutshell.
<-- written sarcastically

Love it! And in case that you wanted proof that your analysis isn't all that exaggerated...

written genuinely -->

Whether one wants to admit it or not, pmAA was the most premium airline in the US. pmUA, pmDL, pmNW, pmCO were all far behind and pmUS was not even considered a "real airline" ... just a collection of shaky and rattling old planes held together by desperation..
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Rather than culture it comes down to product and who is willing to pay for what level of product. If one is not insanely biased, one can clearly see that pmUS was a very downmarket product and priced (and thus frequented by) a different segment of fliers

Now, we all want to be politically correct and not flame anyone, and thus we all keep silent but we can all see how far pmAA has fallen and (even worse) how much further it is going to fall.

There will be no happy mediums here. The new AA will end up looking just like pmUS. It is just being done in stages. The final goal of the pmUS leadership is to FULLY CONVERT pmAA into pmUS. As a simple example look at what is happening with the 772 refit. After the first batch is done with a higher number of J, the next batch will have a lower number of J and then even the first batch will be retrofitted to remove J!

In a perfect world pmAA would have merged with pmCO and would have had a broadly similar set of products. pmAA would still have been superior (due to the availability of Premium First) but the harmonization would have been easier. Also, then the newAA would have ruled Texas

Most paxs are flying Y and flying mainly on price, business travel included. The difference becomes long haul in which business will pay a premium to put their people up front (and a relatively few number of high end leisure flyers). So airlines try to outdo themselves in that market (think B6 joining in the premium transcon circus) while doing everything they can to eek out every cent out of the Y flyer (like AA taking the 737-800 from 144 to 16o Y seats, thinner seats and leg room of a whopping 30 inches). Its the Wal Martization of the mass market. Look at how successful Spirit is and what kind of return they are giving to shareholders. Parker is simply following the money, as Wall Street (that would never see the Y section of an a/c IF they fly commercial) demands a public company do.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by boss315
There seems to be a real difference between these two cultures.. Thoughts/observations?

Mods: If this is in another thread or area, please feel free or just delete.
This is a joke, right? Take a look at the majority of aa "elites" siting in their upgraded f seat - usually poorly dressed and overweight and excited about eating a $10 meal on airline china. The majority of these people are hardly elite. And they proudly put their baggage tags on their cheap roller bags so everyone can see they are "elite". I think most of these people are bitter from a life of being denied a seat at the cool kids table so they fly 100,000 miles to they can feel "elite" and "cool" and "included". Hey look - I couldn't get into a cool frat or country club, but did you know I'm a member of the Admirals Club?

Anyone who thinks there is anything premium about pmAA clearly has never flown private and spends most of their dining dollars at the Olive Garden.

I would say the best looking and bessex dressed people on the combined aa/us network tend to be on Clt-lga flights.

Last edited by morrisunc; Sep 25, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morrisunc
Anyone who thinks there is anything premium about pmAA clearly has never flown private and spends most of their dining dollars at the Olive Garden.
I for one would be more than happy to be served OG meals on board as opposed to the US Slop.

I hear you though. Perhaps if you're into frats you should check out DL. SkyClubs are quite the frat houses these days...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Of course there's a huge difference. You're talking about two very different airlines serving very different markets with very different customer bases and very different onboard products with very different histories.
I think this could be one of my biggest gripes with this whole AA vs US nonsense. Since I live in DC and have flown US for the last 10 years due to the fact that they got me where I needed to go out of DCA, almost always in First class, and needed the Shuttle, I am looked down upon by those from AA. US was the carrier of convenience and just worked for me. I didn't know DC was such a backwater place to be that I am a very different customer base than those high class AA people.

Because Dallas is such a glamorous world-class city in comparison.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by morrisunc
This is a joke, right? Take a look at the majority of aa "elites" siting in their upgraded f seat - usually poorly dressed and overweight and excited about eating a $10 meal on airline china. The majority of these people are hardly elite. And they proudly put their baggage tags on their cheap roller bags so everyone can see they are "elite". I think most of these people are bitter from a life of being denied a seat at the cool kids table so they fly 100,000 miles to they can feel "elite" and "cool" and "included". Hey look - I couldn't get into a cool frat or country club, but did you know I'm a member of the Admirals Club?

I would say the best looking and bessex dressed people on the combined aa/us network tend to be on Clt-lga flights.
^^^^ Spot on. Best post so far in this thread.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
Yep!

<-- written sarcastically

Love it! And in case that you wanted proof that your analysis isn't all that exaggerated...

written genuinely -->
Since you quoted me, I will respond (with love ). Yes, it is written genuinely. Political correctness aside, pmUS was a worse airline in terms of hard product, soft product, age of planes, connections, destinations, clubs and every other measurable factor. In fact, I would be hard pressed to think of a worse "major" airline in the United States than pmUS.

The ONLY factor the pmUS people love to trot out is that pmUS was "profitable" and pmAA was not. Well, that is not carrots to carrots. pmUS had already been through bankruptcy and reduced its cost. pmAA had not done that.

Once pmAA went through the bankruptcy process (and also became a carrot), it started generating more profits than pmUS

However, this point is conveniently forgotten by the pmUS cheering squad.

At this point, there is NOTHING us pmAA people can do. Hence, the "shut up and bear it" attitude. pmUS won and we will all soon be like pmUS... yay for us!!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I think this could be one of my biggest gripes with this whole AA vs US nonsense. Since I live in DC and have flown US for the last 10 years due to the fact that they got me where I needed to go out of DCA, almost always in First class, and needed the Shuttle, I am looked down upon by those from AA. US was the carrier of convenience and just worked for me. I didn't know DC was such a backwater place to be that I am a very different customer base than those high class AA people.

Because Dallas is such a glamorous world-class city in comparison.
You aren't looked down on by AA elites. US the airline is what is being looked down on for its inadequate product offering. No, DC is not a backwater hole by any means, but places like MIA, LAX, NYC, and ORD have historically had a stronger demand for a better product and more paid permium traffic than PHL, PHX, and in some cases CLT and hence why you see the differences between the two airlines.

This has nothing to do with each elite personally and everything to do with what was expected of the two separate airlines from their customers. We all choose our airlines to fly based on some collection of reasons and it clearly seems that between AA and US elites many of these reasons are different and why people do not like this merger. The only winners here are the shareholders, at least for the short term.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond

Yes, it is written genuinely. Political correctness aside, pmUS was a worse airline in terms of hard product, soft product, age of planes, connections, destinations, clubs and every other measurable factor. In fact, I would be hard pressed to think of a worse "major" airline in the United States than pmUS.

(
Wow the hyperbole in these posts was written genuinely? sjpmurph01, you called that one correctly!

I get it that AA people are upset with the changes as all fliers should be IMO. US definitely did some stupid things (charging for drinks) over the years but I've had relatively good luck with them. Their longer distance flights in FC were pretty decent (PHL-PHX for example). For those who wanted non-stops from Philly, they weren't a bad choice. US was not a world-class airline, but certainly a real airline.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
My favorite AA employee equated this to the homecoming king being forced to dance with the ugliest girl in school.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I think newyorkgeorge touched on it best. The difference between the two groups are largely location, location, location. The largest clusters of AA EXP's are almost certainly near DFW, MIA, ORD and to a slightly lesser extent Los Angeles and New York. US CP are likely to live in the northeast corridor, CLT and PHX. Neither group, for the most part and in my opinion, picks their airline based on first class service. Price and schedule, followed by ease of upgrade.

I do enjoy flyertalk. The members have great stories and experiences, but they are definitely not a representative sample of all flyers, and not even of elite level flyers.

And for those who don't care for the use of the word elite, one of the definitions is "having the most status in a society", which clearly applies. It doesn't necessarily mean that status is worth a whole lot.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by alex9654
My favorite AA employee equated this to the homecoming king being forced to dance with the ugliest girl in school.
Well.. it would still be OK if we had danced with a "girl".... instead the Homecoming King got stuck with Shrek the donkey

....yes..yes.. a little tongue in cheek.. I admit.. after all.. what wrong did Shrek ever do to me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.