Wiki Posts
Search

ABQ-DFW changing to Eagle?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, AvisFirst
ABQ-DFW changing to Eagle?

Based out of ABQ and 90% of the time fly through DFW. Notcied a flight I am book for this winter is an Eagle flight. We have always had the MD80 mainline to DFW from here.

Any other folks noticing changes from AA to AE around the country?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, there are some routes currently or recently flown with MD-80s that might see some large (76 seat) two-class RJs like E175s or CRJ900s. For the most part, those large RJs will replace 50-seaters, but in some cases they'll also permit serious downgauging such as your flight.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by minnz21
Based out of ABQ and 90% of the time fly through DFW. Notcied a flight I am book for this winter is an Eagle flight. We have always had the MD80 mainline to DFW from here.

Any other folks noticing changes from AA to AE around the country?
Traveling ORD-STL in two weeks and that route has gone from all mainline 757/S80 to mostly E75 with a few S80/738 in the mix.

From a pax perspective the E75 is an improvement in F, but of course the AA F/As and fleet service workers in STL prefer mainline.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm honestly fine with this. The new big regional jets are quite comfortable, and since there wasn't a meal service, we won't see a downgrade there.

However--I'd rather see the bigger regional jets replacing 50 seaters.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
MD80's are slowly going away. So, what will AA replace them with?

738/A319/E175/CR7 can all fill that role.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daze
MD80's are slowly going away. So, what will AA replace them with?

738/A319/E175/CR7 can all fill that role.
For quite a while there, retired MD-80s were replaced with larger capacity 738s, and while that might work in markets with lots of frequencies where AA could reduce frequencies to help compensate for all those new seats, the 738 is a lot of airplane in markets where the MD-80 was already too much airplane.

Why didn't AA replace those MD-80s with large RJs years ago? Wasn't until late 2012 that it finally had the contractual authority to outsource more than the existing 47 large RJs (the Eagle CRJ700s).

Part of it is that AA had to be very selective where it flew its tiny fleet of 47 large RJs, and that meant that some markets kept their MD-80s because there weren't enough large RJs to go around, plus the 50-seaters were just too small and expensive to fly. With lots of large RJs on the way, AA has the luxury of finally replacing MD-80s with 76-seaters.

When AA ordered the A319s in mid-2011, that raised hope that some MD-80 markets might get one to one replacements with A319s. While that might happen in some markets, it doesn't appear to be happening in very many of them.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Same is happening in ELP. Used to be 7-8 mainline flights a day, now starting November it looks like 6-7 Envoy flights a day with maybe one or two mainline.

Do not like it at all, losing that many seats will not be food for fares.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:09 pm

Wink

Do the large RJs typically require valet checking of roll-aboards?

If so, this change will have a major impact on business travelers out of ABQ and other affected locations...

I fly ABQ-DFW-wherever a dozen or so times a year; that isn't going to happen if I have to check my bag every time.

DL is almost all mainline out of ABQ, I believe. Grass appears way greener over there!

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
A random check in January shows 5 MD-80 and 3 CR7 Envoy flights per day from ABQ-DFW.

The CR7s will require checking any full size carryons.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by gruss
A random check in January shows 5 MD-80 and 3 CR7 Envoy flights per day from ABQ-DFW.

The CR7s will require checking any full size carryons.
Yuck. Thank you for the info, though.

saunders111
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by saunders111
I've had no issues with my Briggs & Riley widebody bag fitting in the bins on the larger RJs.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pinned
I've had no issues with my Briggs & Riley widebody bag fitting in the bins on the larger RJs.
No issues on the larger E jets, but they won't fit on the CR7.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No issues on the larger E jets, but they won't fit on the CR7.
Sorry to be drifting off topic a bit, but is there a definitive list somewhere of what AA and Eagle planes will fit full size carry ons?

Or is it up to the whim of the gate agent?

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by saunders111

If so, this change will have a major impact on business travelers out of ABQ and other affected locations...

I fly ABQ-DFW-wherever a dozen or so times a year; that isn't going to happen if I have to check my bag every time.

DL is almost all mainline out of ABQ, I believe. Grass appears way greener over there!

Thanks,
saunders111
If it is an Embraer 17x/19x ... yes ... if it is CRJ not so much ... The ERJ-175 is very comfortable even in coach ....
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
I thought it was interesting that ABQ-ORD was listed as one of the inaugural routes for the E175 when AA took delivery, but that lasted just over a year before going back to CR7s. Having flown the route a lot this summer, was definitely a bummer to see the downgauge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.