Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-East Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:27 pm

Honolulu Service

Last time I flew AA prior to the merger, the Honolulu to the DFW Business Class service was similar to a business class long haul flight. Pre departure Champaign, mujlti course meal service, etc. Has that been kept in tact post merger with U S Airways?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:46 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by taveller
Last time I flew AA prior to the merger, the Honolulu to the DFW Business Class service was similar to a business class long haul flight. Pre departure Champaign, mujlti course meal service, etc. Has that been kept in tact post merger with U S Airways?
Nope. Pretty lAAme now. The only thing better than domestic F was a bigger salad. The nuts mix is sweetened - but that is a downgrade in my opinion.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA UA
DFW-HNL Seats

I have to agree with 1KHI. They advertise the 1-2-1 and deliver the 2-2-2 almost all of the time which is deceiving as the 2 are completely different products. I have emailed AA customer service and received the standard "operational changes" line and the truth is that they show the 1-2-1 so that they don't have to downgrade someone if they sold the 2-2-2 and actually used the 1-2-1. It's sad to think you're booking a flat seat only to find out that you end up with an almost-flat seat with the awkward aisle/window seats (if you fly alone).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discussed in more detail here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-non-stop.html
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Actually there still are predeparture bubbles, printed menus distributed. There is also a small fresh plated snack before arrival.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Actually there still is predeparture bubbles, printed menus distributed. There is also a small fresh played snack before arrival.
In addition, appetizer and salad are served in a separate course to/from DFW, before the main. Flights to/from LAX, however, only get slightly enhanced domestic F service, with one tray meals.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:51 am

First to Hawaii

Mostly an economy flyer, but will have the opportunity to fly AA first to Hawaii and back. I have really three options, and I am hoping you all who frequent first class could help with the choice.

1. 767 service from DFW
2. 321 service from LAX
3. 757 service from PHX

Going to Hawaii, the flight will be a day flight - so we will "use" more of the plane/services/meals - so which plane is best for the experience. Coming home, we will fly overnight most likely, so which plane would be best for sleeping well? I have read/searched posts and it seems like FT'ers really hate the FC product in the 757's, but I wonder if that was based on older 757 configs that might be phased out by summer 2017?? It will be easy enough for us to get to DFW,PHX, or LAX - so no worries about location.

This travel will be in July 2017. Thank you.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I found the 321 FC service from LA to be pretty poor.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would recommend the 767 for sleeping purposes. Also, the DFW-HNL flights leave earlier in the evening (so you aren't 12 hours without a hotel room before taking a LONG flight).
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by taseas
Mostly an economy flyer, but will have the opportunity to fly AA first to Hawaii and back. I have really three options, and I am hoping you all who frequent first class could help with the choice.

1. 767 service from DFW
2. 321 service from LAX
3. 757 service from PHX

Going to Hawaii, the flight will be a day flight - so we will "use" more of the plane/services/meals - so which plane is best for the experience. Coming home, we will fly overnight most likely, so which plane would be best for sleeping well? I have read/searched posts and it seems like FT'ers really hate the FC product in the 757's, but I wonder if that was based on older 757 configs that might be phased out by summer 2017?? It will be easy enough for us to get to DFW,PHX, or LAX - so no worries about location.

I'm dealing with essentially the same choice and am leaning toward 321 westbound and 767 eastbound. Choosing 767 mainly for better sleep potential (even if the older seats), vs. 321 for seat back IFE (plus more BA tier points starting from BOS). As far as I can tell, there are no redeeming factors for the 757.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
I would recommend the 767 for sleeping purposes. Also, the DFW-HNL flights leave earlier in the evening (so you aren't 12 hours without a hotel room before taking a LONG flight).
You mean HNL-DFW? DFW-HNL leaves around mid day.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by taseas

1. 767 service from DFW
2. 321 service from LAX
3. 757 service from PHX

767 would be my choice, even if it's an older product. As others mentioned, so much better for sleeping. Found the DFW route also feels more like a "Hawaii" experience. For day flights, the 321 would be 2nd for me. At least it's a new plane with personal IFE. For what it's worth, the Hawaii service from LAX doesn't feel very "special" to me anymore. The FA's wear some leis but gone are the days where you felt like flying to the islands was a higher class of service. Been flying back and forth from the mainland for decades and it just feels like regular domestic F for the most part. Expect little and you won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
You mean HNL-DFW? DFW-HNL leaves around mid day.
Yes, I meant HNL-DFW.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
1. DFW
2. LAX
3. PHX

In that order...either direction
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:02 pm

Thanks to everyone that responded, was able to get the 767 service both ways via DFW.

Really hoping all the 767's have gone thru the CIP by then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.