Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Resolved] AA & US Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:28 am
SK
Original Poster

Seems the old problems reemerge:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...161500498.html
Excerpts:

American Airlines Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

American Airlines has withdrawn its fares from consumer websites powered by Orbitz, effective immediately. American Airlines Group has notified Orbitz it also will withdraw US Airways fares on Sept. 1, 2014.

"We have worked tirelessly with Orbitz to reach a deal with the economics that allow us to keep costs low and compete with low-cost carriers," said Scott Kirby, President – American Airlines.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...161500498.html

--------------------

MODERATOR NOTE:

For those interested in the previous incarnation of this issue, you can read this thread. That thread has been archived, and this is the correct thread for the current issue.

~AAdvantage Moderation Team

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 27, 2014 at 3:55 am Reason: Added mod note
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Always loved using Orbitz as it priced out and allowed purchases of multi-city fares that were sometimes cheaper than RT.

This is what I got in my e-mail:
As a customer who has purchased an American Airlines ticket through Orbitz in the past, we want to let you know our fares are no longer on orbitz.com. You can still find American Airlines and US Airways fares through other online and brick and mortar travel agencies.

To book future travel on American Airlines or US Airways and easily search for our lowest available fares with no online booking fees, visit us on aa.com. Only on aa.com will you find convenient booking options, online check-in, flight status notifications, and the ability to earn AAdvantage® miles on flights, hotels, cars and more – providing an all-in-one experience from booking to takeoff. You can also add options like Main Cabin Extra seating to your itinerary, giving you up to six inches of additional leg room.

For more information, visit aa.com/orbitz.

Thank you for flying with us.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Always loved using Orbitz as it priced out and allowed purchases of multi-city fares that were sometimes cheaper than RT.
You can always use ITA (matrix.itasoftware.com) to find the multicity fares that you want and the book them somewhere else (aa.com or other travel agency).

-z
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
AA/US not on Orbitz

Not this crap again:
American Airlines fares are no longer available through consumer websites powered by Orbitz, including orbitz.com and cheaptickets.com. We also anticipate removing US Airways fares from Orbitz on September 1, 2014.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/ota.jsp?...ortedTitle=You won't find our fares on Orbitz&reportedPosition=0&url=undefined&_locale=en _US&repositoryName=undefined&repositoryId=undefine d
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, you can always make the process more complicated.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:06 am

guess no more flying on AA or US unless absolutely necessary...

I got the email from AA because I have always purchased AA ticket on Orbitz. Not by choice. The problem is that AA does not accept my foreign credit card. I live in the US but only have foreign credit cards. AA's website NEVER accepts the foreign credit card(VISA). That is why I had to go through Orbitz.

I suppose I can use another travel site to do the same, but I feel like AA doesn't want my business. They know perfectly well that I have purchased on average 3 or 4 AA tickets via Orbitz every month. If they don't want my business either way, so be it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by zski1
You can always use ITA (matrix.itasoftware.com) to find the multicity fares that you want and the book them somewhere else (aa.com or other travel agency).

-z
Problem with that is the known issue with AA.com going into a loop and repricing fares without ever allowing the customer to complete the purchase.

Guess it's time to find and start using another OTA.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Very sad to see this happen. Orbitz often produced AA itineraries that wouldn't come up on as.com. Also made it easier to price compare.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
just got that email, seems like it’s 2010, 2011 all over again… it’s annoying but I guess American wants to push the ancillary fees or Choice fares which they can upsell…
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Problem with that is the known issue with AA.com going into a loop and repricing fares without ever allowing the customer to complete the purchase.

Guess it's time to find and start using another OTA.
Yeah, this was what I always used Orbitz for.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Bttc
Yeah, this was what I always used Orbitz for.
+1
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Karelia
guess no more flying on AA or US unless absolutely necessary...

I got the email from AA because I have always purchased AA ticket on Orbitz. Not by choice. The problem is that AA does not accept my foreign credit card. I live in the US but only have foreign credit cards. AA's website NEVER accepts the foreign credit card(VISA). That is why I had to go through Orbitz.

I suppose I can use another travel site to do the same, but I feel like AA doesn't want my business. They know perfectly well that I have purchased on average 3 or 4 AA tickets via Orbitz every month. If they don't want my business either way, so be it.
Seriously, somehow you managed to turn a disagreement between AA and Orbitz about fees into AA not wanting your business, because you choose to have a foreign credit card? You could always purchase gift cards from AA, or do a prepaid card, or just get a credit card in the US if you live here.

And sorry to pop your bubble, but your "3 to 4 AA tickets via Orbitz every month." means absolutely nothing to AA. They likely sold MILLIONS of tickets annually through Orbitz.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loyalty to an online travel agent that trumps loyalty to the airline itself appears to be somewhat atypical.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:46 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by justforfun
Very sad to see this happen. Orbitz often produced AA itineraries that wouldn't come up on as.com. Also made it easier to price compare.
This is a disaster. I try hard to limit my exposure for anything TATL but AA50/51. On aa.com, usually horrible AB or interestingly timed US trips show up for at least one direction and the 77W is not showing up.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wow. Must have just got in under the wire. Booked a ticket through Orbitz on Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.