Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Resolved] AA & US Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Resolved] AA & US Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by justforfun
Very sad to see this happen. Orbitz often produced AA itineraries that wouldn't come up on as.com. Also made it easier to price compare.
Indeed. I bought a RDU-CLT-MIA-RDU routing on Orbitz back in May that wouldn't show up on AA.com or US.com. I can't believe we're back here again
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Indeed. I bought a RDU-CLT-MIA-RDU routing on Orbitz back in May that wouldn't show up on AA.com or US.com. I can't believe we're back here again
Exactly, Orbitz was great for this. They used ITA's engine behind the scenes I believe, which allowed it to match up w/ ITA Matrix searches better.

Are there other OTAs that use the ITA search engine?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I was checking orbitz.com yesterday and AA flights were listed, just checked again now and they are gone, gone, gone. Too bad... hope they stay on kayak.com...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by docbert
Just received an email from AA with details about this, including a 20% off certificate for AA.com.

If I have booked an AA flight via Orbitz it was >> 12 months ago, so I'm not sure exactly who it's going out to.
I got the email from AA, but no 20% off certificate.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by c_d
This is a disaster. I try hard to limit my exposure for anything TATL but AA50/51. On aa.com, usually horrible AB or interestingly timed US trips show up for at least one direction and the 77W is not showing up.
A plane crash is a disaster. Not being able to book your preferred flight combination on a specific website is not.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I often used Orbitz to purchase tickets, AA and others, so I have the same irritated reaction of "not again". I saw AA fares at Orbitz till last night.

AA has now built up quite a record of getting into spats with OTAs. I am sure they will sort it all out sooner or later and things will be normal again for a while, till the next spat.

I wonder why other airlines don't get into similar cat-fights so regularly as AA.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Karelia
guess no more flying on AA or US unless absolutely necessary...

I got the email from AA because I have always purchased AA ticket on Orbitz. Not by choice. The problem is that AA does not accept my foreign credit card. I live in the US but only have foreign credit cards. AA's website NEVER accepts the foreign credit card(VISA). That is why I had to go through Orbitz.

I suppose I can use another travel site to do the same, but I feel like AA doesn't want my business. They know perfectly well that I have purchased on average 3 or 4 AA tickets via Orbitz every month. If they don't want my business either way, so be it.
- The easiest solution to your problem is to use Paypal.com when purchasing tickets from aa.com. Paypal would allow you to choose the funding source like bank account, credit card, Paypal credit, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, you AA guys are pretty charitable towards AA when things like these happen. If it were United doing this I can assure you people over at UA forum would cry bloody murder and will all be up in arms.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Wow, you AA guys are pretty charitable towards AA when things like these happen. If it were United doing this I can assure you people over at UA forum would cry bloody murder and will all be up in arms.
I am irritated but it is just one OTA. It is hard to get too worked up when AA tickets remain widely available not only at AA.com but also hundreds of OTAs including major ones like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline etc.

Compare that to Southwest which has never been available at most OTAs and we have always had to go to its own website.

While I don't like the loss of Orbitz for AA, we have to keep things in perspective. It's not like I got wider seats, greater leg room, and full meals for tickets bought at Orbitz. I'll buy elsewhere. If Orbitz and AA want a childish spat about fees, let them have it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Disagreements like this between AA and it's suppliers like OTAs and GDS' have the potential to do far more damage to AA than the other way around. Most travelers are not FTers, and many are starting at Kayak.com (or insert other ITA here) and expect to see all fares, then select the cheapest.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aktchi
I am irritated but it is just one OTA. It is hard to get too worked up when AA tickets remain widely available not only at AA.com but also hundreds of OTAs including major ones like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline etc.
Originally Posted by denCSA
Disagreements like this between AA and it's suppliers like OTAs and GDS' have the potential to do far more damage to AA than the other way around. Most travelers are not FTers, and many are starting at Kayak.com (or insert other ITA here) and expect to see all fares, then select the cheapest.
When firms have big differences in perceived value - as do these posters - these little missteps happen.

IMHO, for every inexperienced traveler who looks on Orbitz and books a carrier other than AA, there's a traveler who expects to find AA and winds up booking air/hotel/car on another OTA.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by denCSA
As far as Kayak specifically, they are still available.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:39 pm

AA will obviously lose the business of those who, for whatever reason, only shop through Orbitz. All others who look around even a little bit, will easily run into AA as an option.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I was checking orbitz.com yesterday and AA flights were listed, just checked again now and they are gone, gone, gone. Too bad... hope they stay on kayak.com...
Kayak is part of priceline (which owns booking.com and other channels).

They have a direct connect relationship with AA.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...18-2011-a.html

I find it funny how Southwest buys a ton of ad space on kayak (on specific routing), but doesn't want to share pricing alongside other airlines. As many of you have seen, Southwest can show up without pricing.

Rasheed
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by aktchi
AA will obviously lose the business of those who, for whatever reason, only shop through Orbitz. All others who look around even a little bit, will easily run into AA as an option.
These battles happen all of the time. Other major recent examples include cable channels on various providers or Coke products at Costco.

At the moment, AA is saying that Orbitz's fee for exposure of AA/US tickets (versus loss of business) is not worth it. Orbitz feels otherwise.

A risk for Orbitz is that if its reputation spreads of not having all information, it might lose its relevance in the fare search space choice by consumers. Not just only AA sales. Hence, some of the recent stock action from investors.

It will take time to resolve, but should work out. Of course, it should be noted that Orbitz for Business portal is unaffected.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.