Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American's CEO Doug Parker Accepts the #IceBucketChallenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American's CEO Doug Parker Accepts the #IceBucketChallenge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/22/...ge-water-waste

So, I'm guessing folks who are outraged in this thread by all the waste involved during a drought are giving up coffee, chocolate, milk and steak, right?

One of my fb friends posted this.... this chart is just about deflection. Most people singlehandedly can't stop the beef industry. But surely they can resist the urge to waste 2-15 gallons of water.

Yes, the water "wasted" from this challenge is a mere fraction of what beef uses. However, with a media-estimated 1mil videos posted and the charts 5 gals of water average per person, that's still 5mil gals (19mil L) of water wasted. That's a lot of water.

My stance is: if you do it, do it while standing in a natural body of water.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LAXative
One of my fb friends posted this.... this chart is just about deflection. Most people singlehandedly can't stop the beef industry. But surely they can resist the urge to waste 2-15 gallons of water.
Most people can just as easily resist the urge to drink coffee or milk, or eat tomatoes, chocolate or beef. But we don't see scolding about doing that in a drought. I don't think the scolding being done here is particularly logical, much like how people fear nuclear power plants and airline crashes, but blithely drive in cars that kill orders of magnitude more people every year.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I can't stand Dougie, but any criticism he (or anyone else) gets for doing this is asinine.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's not working very well. I keep seeing mentions in the media about ice bucket challenges, and I didn't even know it was about ALS, as opposed to some other cause, until I read this thread. So where's the public awareness for people who don't mindlessly follow every #hashtag they see???
I thought this was a publicity campaign for the idiots with the buckets over their heads.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by mialink
Not where I live, but I have something else I'd like to dump on his head.
Likewise

the first thing that came to my mind was Rocks from about 30K feet
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I've just been with two rather famous figures in their field who have been invited to do this today and they have refused on the grounds that this is just a ridiculous way of blackmailing well known people into succumbing to mass hysteria.
Sounds like something that would come from "Alex Jones discusses the Ice Bucket challenge" to me... Mass hysteria? I guess I just don't see it as that, but to each their own.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I would have liked to dump a bucket of ice water on him too.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I would have liked to dump a bucket of ice water on him too.
I thought it was funny he passed it forward to the head of the FA and Pilots union --

-- it was certainly a good team bonding type thing -- same as giving up the executive parking spot and his donation of $1 million to AA team members who are in need because of a financial problem.

I am disappointed about the changes to AAdvantage -- and the meals -- however, overall it sounds like it is a large net cost increase upgrading US. I think he lost the forest through the trees in not going the last mile (and UA is apparently finally getting off its a**).

Criticisms of US around FA service and dirty planes are just completely not true -- both AA and US are a mixed bag.

I think those folks who are using the ALS challenge to criticize DP would have done so as well if he had declined the ice bucket and just wrote the check (although he did both).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
SMI/J over at UA also did the challenge. Don't know about Richard Anderson over at DL. It is inane, but effective at getting donations. I say kudos to Parker for playing along. ALS needs publicity.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I thought the ice bucket challenge was to donate OR dump ice water on yourself. So does this mean that DP didn't donate?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I thought the ice bucket challenge was to donate OR dump ice water on yourself. So does this mean that DP didn't donate?
I think it's donate 100 or dump ice and only 10 -- DP at the end that he was making a donation --- didnt say the amount -- he and his wife personally donated $1 million to AA employees in need last year.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Doug Parker heard "ice bucket" and signed on before he even knew what it was
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by CMK10
Doug Parker heard "ice bucket" and signed on before he even knew what it was
LMAO I wouldn't doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.