Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American's CEO Doug Parker Accepts the #IceBucketChallenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

A number of new-hire AA FAs were given the opportunity to throw buckets of ice water onto American's CEO... for a good cause

http://youtu.be/CKKmz3xwN4E

He challenged AA FAs' union head, AA pilots' union head, and his wife.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I liked the FAs that couldn't lift the bucket high enough to dump, so they kept smashing the side of the bucket on Dougie's head. Just like a bad day at the airport.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I bet if he does this again after a couple contract negotiations the FAs will want to replace the water in those buckets with something else.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Since Mr Parker heads American Airlines Group, the parent of both US and AA, this thread has been moved to the combined forum.

~Moderator
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by FTcadence
A number of new-hire AA FAs w
Perhaps the one group of people who dont despise him yet....
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This is one the stupidest campaign yet devised and shows the shallowness of social media in its worst incarnation. When grown ups, and senior executives in this case, do such absurd and childish memes it's time to reconsider the maturity of American society and the leadership of Corporate America. I am really put off that and wonder if this guy has the right stuff to run the largest airline in the world ?! I've just been with two rather famous figures in their field who have been invited to do this today and they have refused on the grounds that this is just a ridiculous way of blackmailing well known people into succumbing to mass hysteria. They will support campaigns that are worthy based on substantive events and not mass media hype. Grow up, Mr. Parker. I thought more of you before you sunk to this shallow level of mass mediocrity!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Shareholder
This is one the stupidest campaign yet devised and shows the shallowness of social media in its worst incarnation. When grown ups, and senior executives in this case, do such absurd and childish memes it's time to reconsider the maturity of American society and the leadership of Corporate America. I am really put off that and wonder if this guy has the right stuff to run the largest airline in the world ?! I've just been with two rather famous figures in their field who have been invited to do this today and they have refused on the grounds that this is just a ridiculous way of blackmailing well known people into succumbing to mass hysteria. They will support campaigns that are worthy based on substantive events and not mass media hype. Grow up, Mr. Parker. I thought more of you before you sunk to this shallow level of mass mediocrity!
I agree. Plus there's a drought.
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/p...ent_tx_cat.png
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:27 pm

The ALS ice bucket challenge has raised over $53 million so far and has raised public awareness about a disease that has been on the sidelines for many, many years. Having lost someone that I cared about (at a very young age)to this incurable disease I applaud the public figures that have participated and have generously donated to fund research for this horrible disease.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Interesting. I'm not sure how it is one of the stupidest campaigns when it has been enormously successful. The level of attention to the disease and the funds it has generated is remarkable.

To the extent that it has its detractors is probably a testament to its success.

I'm sure that Doug Parker's decision to participate in the Ice Bucket Challenge is certainly more than sufficient evidence that he cannot run American Airlines. You'd better head on over to United as we know that Jeff Smisek is likely too smart to do the challenge and is doing a bang-up job on running United.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Not where I live, but I have something else I'd like to dump on his head.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
The ALS ice bucket challenge has raised over $53 million so far and has raised public awareness about a disease that has been on the sidelines for many, many years. Having lost someone that I cared about (at a very young age)to this incurable disease I applaud the public figures that have participated and have generously donated to fund research for this horrible disease.
+1
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My grandfather died from ALS. My grandmother was his caregiver, and it took a tremendous toll on her. There's no way you can know what it's like to care for someone with ALS unless you've done it. Cheers to Doug for stepping up.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not working very well. I keep seeing mentions in the media about ice bucket challenges, and I didn't even know it was about ALS, as opposed to some other cause, until I read this thread. So where's the public awareness for people who don't mindlessly follow every #hashtag they see???

(Ironically, I'd saw some news piece on increased ALS attention recently, but the ice bucket challenge wasn't mentioned in that, and in fact I think it predated the ice bucket challenge surge, so I didn't know they were connected.)

Meanwhile, where I live there definitely is a drought, and that I'm very aware of. So they better be recycling that water!!!

(Where did he do this? There's a drought in AZ where US was based, and there's a drought in most of TX where AA is based.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 22, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/22/...ge-water-waste

So, I'm guessing folks who are outraged in this thread by all the waste involved during a drought are giving up coffee, chocolate, milk and steak, right?

Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

It's a wonder that he finds time to do this - surely an unannounced devaluation and more cutbacks aren't too far behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.