Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS Airbus A330-200 or -300 / A332 or A333 vs. LAA Boeing Widebodies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS Airbus A330-200 or -300 / A332 or A333 vs. LAA Boeing Widebodies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Whereas connecting in Europe, there is no need to re-claim baggage; thus, eliminating an extra step.
We're in the AA/US section of FT, which means that checked luggage will necessarily be making an interline connection when you make a connection in Europe. At LHR, you're frankly assuming a lot when you count on a successful interline baggage connection from BA. As recently as last June BA delayed (or lost) tens of thousands of bags and was unable to return some of them to their owners until literally months later. You might get lucky and have a smooth transfer, but forewarned is forearmed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
We're in the AA/US section of FT, which means that checked luggage will necessarily be making an interline connection when you make a connection in Europe. At LHR, you're frankly assuming a lot when you count on a successful interline baggage connection from BA. As recently as last June BA delayed (or lost) tens of thousands of bags and was unable to return some of them to their owners until literally months later. You might get lucky and have a smooth transfer, but forewarned is forearmed.
I've never had a problem on a connection. I also take precautions and don't check everything so I'll always have a change of clothes and workout clothes/shoes with me no matter what happens. But if on the way back home, I don't really care if my bag of dirty laundry gets lost.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
BA managed to lose my bag on a direct flight from LHR to PHL once, so I never check a bag from/to/through there anymore.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Speedracer2
BA managed to lose my bag on a direct flight from LHR to PHL once, so I never check a bag from/to/through there anymore.
Ohh, I see. I don't really check bags so that's not much of an issue that I ever really consider. I hate having to wait to reclaim them in the US for customs (with Global Entry and carry-on I can be out the door of the FIS in about 90 seconds), so I've just stopped checking them mostly.

Still, I wouldn't focus on that as a reason for having to endure J when F (even if it is AA F) is an option.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Ohh, I see. I don't really check bags so that's not much of an issue that I ever really consider. I hate having to wait to reclaim them in the US for customs (with Global Entry and carry-on I can be out the door of the FIS in about 90 seconds), so I've just stopped checking them mostly.

Still, I wouldn't focus on that as a reason for having to endure J when F (even if it is AA F) is an option.
I do the same for business trips. I believe the missing bag was when the they only allowed one bag through security in the UK so had to check my carry on. This said, on family vacations I still try to avoid LHR connections, particularly if it involves terminal change.

As far as connecting in the US or Europe it depends on the airport. The US hubs are a breeze, particularly with global entry. I do not particularly care for MIA or JFK but they are better than LHR, CDG and FRA IMHO.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
By the way, depending on where you live, if Madrid is your final destination, don't count out Iberia J (if it's available). Very good hard and soft product (I'm pretty sure their retrofit is done for all the planes they use to and from the US--A330 and A340--so it's all lie-flat J [no F]). It would mean connecting in one of their gateways (MIA & ORD are better than JFK).
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
By the way, depending on where you live, if Madrid is your final destination, don't count out Iberia J (if it's available). Very good hard and soft product (I'm pretty sure their retrofit is done for all the planes they use to and from the US--A330 and A340--so it's all lie-flat J [no F]). It would mean connecting in one of their gateways (MIA & ORD are better than JFK).
Intra EU Iberia Express in J is as bad as new BA Club Europe (BA J). 30" pitch. Horrible.
Regular Iberia is slightly better intra Euope.

I love the BA lounges in LHR. My baggage loss rate US-EU transferring at LHR is about 25%. 1 bag lost forever; others returned after a couple of days.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My view is that if the OP wants some new experiences, take the AA F route.

However, my personal preference is US J. the shorter time, my preference of a US domestic connection vs an LHR terminal shuffle. For an overnight flight, most of the time is sleeping, and i find the US J seat as one of my favorite seats for sleep.

Life is too short to regret. If you want to experience the LHR lounges, and AA F go for it.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ericcheung
My view is that if the OP wants some new experiences, take the AA F route.

However, my personal preference is US J. the shorter time, my preference of a US domestic connection vs an LHR terminal shuffle. For an overnight flight, most of the time is sleeping, and i find the US J seat as one of my favorite seats for sleep.

Life is too short to regret. If you want to experience the LHR lounges, and AA F go for it.
OP here.

Luckily, I will be taking the 772 on the return out of LHR.

The only way I'd considering taking the 772 now on the outbound with a intra-EU connection would be to go out a day earlier and extend my trip, purely a personal preference, not a necessity due to airline scheduling/routing.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Similar dilemma as the OP. Flying LAX-CDG on an award ticket booked a few months ago and don't mind forking over the extra miles if it's worth it.

Currently I'm flying LAX-DFW-CLT-CDG with the transatlantic leg on the 332 in J. There is availability on the DFW-CDG flight that same day on the 772 in F. It's been a few years since I've flown AA across the pond and my only point of reference for long haul J seats are the NGBC seats put on the 772's around 2008?

The idea of having one less connection is appealing especially since a few schedule changes have made my connections in DFW and CLT tighter than I would have liked.

It sounds like the seats on both planes are about equal. Is service or the IFE much different?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nick90274
Similar dilemma as the OP. Flying LAX-CDG on an award ticket booked a few months ago and don't mind forking over the extra miles if it's worth it.

Currently I'm flying LAX-DFW-CLT-CDG with the transatlantic leg on the 332 in J. There is availability on the DFW-CDG flight that same day on the 772 in F. It's been a few years since I've flown AA across the pond and my only point of reference for long haul J seats are the NGBC seats put on the 772's around 2008?

The idea of having one less connection is appealing especially since a few schedule changes have made my connections in DFW and CLT tighter than I would have liked.

It sounds like the seats on both planes are about equal. Is service or the IFE much different?

Thanks!
I have flown both seats. The AA 772 F has more space than the 332 J. Both have personal TVs, and the service is similar. AA F may have slightly more personalized service than J. Plus, the AA 772 F option allows you to eliminate one connection. I would definitely make the switch.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: LH HON
Reading through the latest trip reports it doesn't seem like AA F is _that_ far ahead of US J
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: AA exp
Have flown 772 F quite a bit and just recently 330-200 US product. No doubt seat a little better and area more spacious in 772 F along with some frills like PJ's and turn down-service, however the TV in the AVOD system is clearly superior in the 330-200 product and certainly FA were equal if not better.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Slightly different question... 2 of us will be flying ex-US to either FRA or CDG on a J award ticket. AA retrofit 763 or US 332? In general, everything else is equal, although getting to MIA might involve a leg in domestic Y (int'l J awards no longer seem to do DFW/ORD-MIA in domestic F. Can still connect domestic F via CLT in a CR9/319 combo.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Slightly different question... 2 of us will be flying ex-US to either FRA or CDG on a J award ticket. AA retrofit 763 or US 332? In general, everything else is equal, although getting to MIA might involve a leg in domestic Y (int'l J awards no longer seem to do DFW/ORD-MIA in domestic F. Can still connect domestic F via CLT in a CR9/319 combo.
The A330 has a much better J seat than the 767. I would go for that. I'm not particularly fond of CLT as a transfer point, but the A330 is the better plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.