Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS Airbus A330-200 or -300 / A332 or A333 vs. LAA Boeing Widebodies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS Airbus A330-200 or -300 / A332 or A333 vs. LAA Boeing Widebodies

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

US Envoy Class 332 vs. AA Business Class 772

Looking at flying RDU-Sao Paulo in a few weeks. Previously, I've flown the 77W several times out of JFK, and the 772 from Miami, but the flight times might not work.

US has a CLT-GRU flight which has good flight times for me.

Can someone who's flown the AA 772 and US 332 (in business) comment on the differences? I know neither will compare to the AA 77W...

Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2016 at 8:44 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA - 1K MM, AA - EXP, DL & US - Kettle, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Gold, HiltonHonors - Gold
Smile If a A330, then go with US Airways

I took the A333 PHL to CDG 18 months ago and enjoyed the flight, the food wasn't amazing but the seats were better than what United offers in biz. The 772 won't be lay flat while the A333/A332 will be.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
Looking at flying RDU-Sao Paulo in a few weeks. Previously, I've flown the 77W several times out of JFK, and the 772 from Miami, but the flight times might not work.

US has a CLT-GRU flight which has good flight times for me.

Can someone who's flown the AA 772 and US 332 (in business) comment on the differences? I know neither will compare to the AA 77W...

Thanks.
Unless it is a newly refurbished 772 there is no contest. the US 332 is pretty much like the 77W whereas the old 772 is crap.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
US Envoy Class 332 vs. AA Business Class 772

The US 332 for sure. very similar seat to the 77w (slight finishes and storage space differences). lie flat reverse herringbone direct aisle access vs 2x3x2 angled seats, no contest - especially on an overnight
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Having flown on both business seats, I'd take the US A330 seat. Lie flat with direct aisle access, identical to the 77W seat.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:17 am

Take the A330-200 out of Charlotte. Lie-flat seats vs angled seats. 1-2-1 configuration with direct aisle access vs 2-3-2 angled seats, climbing over some one and the dreaded middle seat. Plus you could have me as a F/A

The A332 and 77W are almost identical, apart from some more stowage, a bit more privacy than the A330 and some more bells and whistles on the 77W.

Also I don't mean to be pushy but it would be awesome if you could write a trip report on such an unusal flight that does not get covered oftern here. I flew to São Paulo a few nights ago, as an off-duty F/A and will write a quick trip report.

Last edited by Piedmont767; Jul 9, 2014 at 11:46 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:40 pm

In J:

77W > A330 > 772 (until they get new J seats)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
US A330. Definitely not the same as J in the 77W (way behind), but much better than the 772.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by B7e7US
US A330. Definitely not the same as J in the 77W (way behind), but much better than the 772.
Curious as to what you think the "way behind" is. I've flown the A332 many dozens of times in biz and JFK-LHR now four times on the AA 77W and honestly, I don't see substantive differences in the hard product, and the crews on AA have been far worse. I know that's not a statistically fair sample given my more frequent use of US, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to fly an AA 77W if a US 332 were the other option - I'd do the opposite.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Isn't it the same Sicma Aero Cirrus seat in both the AA 77W and US 33x business classes?

http://www.sicma.zodiacaerospace.com...aisle-aircraft
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by dml105
Isn't it the same Sicma Aero Cirrus seat in both the AA 77W and US 33x business classes?
Nope. The difference of course depends on how much you hate AA, or US, or are generally indifferent

No two airlines fly quite the same version. Piedmont767 has the basics, there is a cutout on the 77W that is tactical in terms of extra storage and leg shaking room at your knee level under the table, which is not quite there in the US version or in AA's 32B version of the seat. And a couple of other differences which offer some more space for storage, not as significant as the cutout.

There is a head level wing on AA's variant that extends at the top of the seat and screens you a bit more from the aisle, thus increasing privacy. And the seat is finished in higher quality. Doesn't affect my sleep so much, but others may have some issues with it.

I'd rank 77W > A33x >>> current 772. Keep in mind that if you're paying, and paying reasonably top dollar (esp. D fares or higher) and are EXP, F on the old 772s comes into the picture.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
there are minor differences between the J seats on the 77W vs the A330 but not big enough to make me choose one over the other. They are 95% common imo.

the CX 77W J seats are identical to the AA 77W seats though i think (from the ONE time ive flown both lol) so if i had to choose between those id go with CX just for slightly improved catering

but to mirror everyone else here, definitely US 330 J seat > AA 772 J seat (pre-refurbishment), but even after refurbishment i dont think the difference is big enough to make me choose one or the other.

Then again im biased towards US so... lol
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dml105

http://www.sicma.zodiacaerospace.com...aisle-aircraft
As pointed out above, there are subtle differences between different airlines versions of Cirrus. Good example is the Cirrus variant used as AA's F-cabin A321 seat-- many people find the differences there to be quite noticeable.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Curious as to what you think the "way behind" is. I've flown the A332 many dozens of times in biz and JFK-LHR now four times on the AA 77W and honestly, I don't see substantive differences in the hard product, and the crews on AA have been far worse. I know that's not a statistically fair sample given my more frequent use of US, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to fly an AA 77W if a US 332 were the other option - I'd do the opposite.
I find AA 77W J seat more elegant, comfy and practical. US A330 seat has a small gap between the cushion and the back that I found very annoying. I also found the seat itself much harder than AA's.

I am comparing the seats, nothing else, so no need to mention crew.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:12 pm

US 332 (J) vs AA 772 (F)

I'm booked on the 332 but see some availability opening up on a 772. I don't mind spending the mileage difference to move from J to F. Overall, is jumping to the 772 a no brainer in both hard and soft product?

I've yet to try either. My lie-flat experience is on QF, UA GF, AC and way too much experience on old AA 763.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.