Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Unfortunately true of most so called 22" bags that I've looked at.

I went for a 20" bag and even that is only just inside the allowed limits as they seem to forget to measure including the wheels ...
Tumi includes wheels and handles in its calculations. However, most of the mainstream manufacturers such as Samonsite do not.

I really don't see the problem with enforcing published limits. People should just be glad it's not like most international airlines where they have strict size and weight requirements. For instance, I was on a Qantas flight on Tuesday, and I saw that they had a scale/sizer combo with a 7 kg (15.4 lb) limit. How many people who fly domestically in the US consistently have a 22x14x9 bag with 15-18 pounds total? (Unless you're flying F9 or NK I suppose... )
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by TheAJ
I love how the airlines will start enforcing these rules, but then for the last four or five people to board to gate check their bags. They will pick and choose what is convenient for them without regard for the customer.
On Monday, the man who was upset that he had to check the bag was PLT.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:37 pm

So how do we know before buying if our bag will fit, given manufacturers lie about true size constantly?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sppunk
So how do we know before buying if our bag will fit, given manufacturers lie about true size constantly?
You either have to rely on a confirmed report here on FT or (better yet) measure it yourself at the store.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
As a passenger, I have two choices.

First, buy a suitcase that fits easily in the overhead bin, but not the sizer, thus gaining more room to carry on my clothes, equipment, etc, and avoiding a checked bag fee if not elite.

Second, buy a suitcase that fits in the sizer, thus needing to check (and pay for if not elite) another bag for clothes, equipment, etc, and hope that the sizer is always enforced....

......I'll just go with buying an using a bag that fits in the overhead bin but not necessarily in the sizer.
Perfectly valid choice as long as you accept with good grace having to check the bag if challenged.

Personally I don't find the difference in size between say a 20" bag that meets the rules and a 22" bag which doesn't to be worth the potential need to check.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sant
Has anyone tested the Briggs & Riley U122CX to see if it fits within the sizer? Although the specs state 9in x 14in x 22in; folks have complained the actual size is between 23.5in and 24in.
I haven’t tested it in a sizer, but the U122CX is spot on 9” deep & 14 “ wide. I placed it against a door on hardwood floor and using a yardstick, the height is 22.4-22.5”

I have a trip Wednesday & I’ll try to find a UA sizer (or an AA one) and see how it does. I’ll bring a tape & get the actual inside sizer dimensions if I can. The U122CX “looks” much smaller than my Tumi Alpha and I doubt it would get much attention at the gate if the new program is as aggressive as some think it is.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AATrout
I haven’t tested it in a sizer, but the U122CX is spot on 9” deep & 14 “ wide. I placed it against a door on hardwood floor and using a yardstick, the height is 22.4-22.5”

I have a trip Wednesday & I’ll try to find a UA sizer (or an AA one) and see how it does. I’ll bring a tape & get the actual inside sizer dimensions if I can. The U122CX “looks” much smaller than my Tumi Alpha and I doubt it would get much attention at the gate if the new program is as aggressive as some think it is.
Thanks for providing the measurements. It saved me the hassle of heading to a local retailer to do the same.

On their Facebook page, Briggs & Riley showed a photo of the U122CX fitting inside the United sizer. From the angle, it seemed it fit without any issues.

On the initial post of the New United Carry-On Sizer and Enforcement of Policy (eff. 1 March 2014) thread, it appears the United sizer allows leeway for the handle to extend beyond it.
Originally Posted by drowelf
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Perfectly valid choice as long as you accept with good grace having to check the bag if challenged.
Sure. I'm prepared for that. The only thing I would not want to leave in the carry on bag, if forced to check, is my laptop. I have a convertible purse from Eagle Creek that folds into a regular lady's handbag size, or unfolds into a tote bag size. The laptop fits in a special sleeve when the purse is unfolded.

Thus, if asked to check my slightly-too-large-for-the-sizer carry on bag, I just pull the laptop out, put it in the convertible purse and I'm all set. I'd leave the charging cables, power supply, etc., in the carry on bag. That and toiletries are all easily replaced if the bag is lost or pilfered.

Added later:

Today I had to take some friends to LAX, so I brought along my empty laptop bag for a sizer check, It fit perfectly, like a glove. The escalator guard guy told me it was perfectly OK. I now have no fear of the sizer police.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Jun 17, 2014 at 11:25 pm Reason: Added later
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Blog rounds, but how (in)accurate are they?

This is bad news, friends. Following United’s lead back in March, it appears that Delta and American have followed suit and cut the acceptable size of carry-on bags from 22″ x 15″ x 9″ to 22″ x 14″ x 9″.

First of all, I don’t understand the new Personal Item rule that just went into effect this week. Was anybody checking before? Second of all, an inch? They cut the size of carry-ons by a lousy INCH??? Doesn’t seem like a big deal, right? It is. This is why: so many luggage makers make bags specifically to adhere to the airlines’ size requirements. They want to give you the maximum amount of luggage space, so those bags are all based on the previous standard. That inch that they just shaved off is going to mean that the luggage you bought for the very purpose of fitting into the overhead bins perfectly is now too damn big.
http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/t...size-allowance
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Blog rounds, but how (in)accurate are they?
Very inaccurate I'd say as AA cut to those figures as of 5/19/10

Before that the figures were 22 x 18 x 10.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:24 pm

Actual Sizer Dimensions

My notes have the actual sizer dimensions as 23 1/4 x 9 7/8 x 14 1/2. dstan's in an older post are similar:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11974486-post26.html

While the post is '09, I believe the measurements are for the current sizer.

Last edited by alien; Jun 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Very inaccurate I'd say as AA cut to those figures as of 5/19/10

Before that the figures were 22 x 18 x 10.
In between and in someways still, the figure AA has peddled has also been 45 linear inches without any mention of 22 x 14 x 9 figures. It's been years since anything greater than 45 linear inches has been peddled by AA in policy.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alien
My notes have the actual sizer dimensions as 23 1/4 x 9 7/8 x 14 1/2. dstan's in an older post are similar:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11974486-post26.html

While the post is '09, I believe the measurements are for the current sizer.
I've seen AA use 10 x 15 x 23 inch sizers in 2010 and 2011. But then that just goes toward AA being inconsistent in sizer use too as that is more than the allowed linear inch count has been for quite some time too.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I've spent some time browsing Amazon and eBags today, and the majority of the carryons, not just the supposed 22" but also the smaller 20" bags, are 15" wide. A lot of folks are going to be shopping for new bags and finding limited choices, at least till the luggage companies get with the program.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
A lot of folks are going to be shopping for new bags and finding limited choices, at least till the luggage companies get with the program.
They have had 4 years to get it right already ...

AA has not changed the size since 2010, the only recent alteration has been to remove the size from the 'personal item', so hardly a prompt for a lot of bag changing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.