Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
How much am I allowed?

Can I check it through?

Im on award travel...

How long can my connection be to through check? Etc.

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016.

Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

Code:
Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners
and to reduce baggage mishandlings, we will now only through
check customers and baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Through check-in will be honored between the following carriers only:
  • Code:
    American Airlines and American Eagle
  • Code:
    oneworld airlines and affiliates

Code:
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries
with American to a non-oneworld carrier?

Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed.
We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in
the same PNR.

What would be the bag charges if the customer holds separate tickets
in separate PNRs?

American will not through check a customer’s bag, regardless if it is
a oneworld carrier. The customer will need to collect their bag at
the final destination on the AA ticket. They will pay for the bag on the
second ticket when they recheck it. This may involve exiting the secure
area, then claiming and re-checking the bags. The Minimum Connecting
Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate
tickets issued for each airline.

International flights will usually require claiming bags, clearing
customs and rechecking bags on another carrier to be continued to
their next destination.

What will customers be charged if we can through check the bag?

The charges would depend on what tickets the customer holds in the same PNR.

Do JetBlue (B6) and our other codeshare/interline partners count as affiliate airlines?

No, the oneworld affiliate airlines are generally the regional partners
of the other oneworld carriers. If a customer held an B6 ticket and an
AA ticket in the same PNR we would not through check the bag. They
would need to reclaim then recheck their bag with B6.
EXCEPTION: "Customers traveling on separate tickets where one
segment is an award ticket and another has been purchased can
through-check bags. Travel must be on American or oneworld partners,
and not on partners outside the oneworld alliance (like Etihad or Air
Tahiti Nui). Tickets much be in the same reservation."
-Gary Leff, Boarding Area

Link to FT thread: Separate PNR: oneworld AA, protection, through baggage issues as of 2016

Q. Can I check my baggage through?

YES: Due to new rules instituted by oneworld in June, and by AA 1 September of 2016, baggage between the fifteen oneworld airlines on the same PNR are required be through-checked.

NO: However, if the trip is booked ticketed separately, or with non-one world partners, through checking by AA will not occur; baggage will have to be recovered at baggage carousels landside and rechecked at the next operating airline's counter (depending on your initial operating carrier's policies about through-checking on separate booking).

On U.S.A. domestic or regional travel, you will have to retrieve your baggage and re-check the following day if your stop is overnight, or recheck, if your connection is 12 hours or longer. On international travel with overnight connections under the same PNR, you often will be able to through check (as long as the new ticket conditions are met).

If you are flying AA and a non-oneworld partner on separate PNR / tickets, you will have to recover and recheck baggage, particularly on separate PNRs. If there is no interline agreement between the airlines (e.g. AA and Spirit, Southwest, etc.) you will certainly be required to do so.

See Multi-Reservation Through-Checking across oneworld no longer required

See Australian Business Traveller article. (Link)

Q. If I'm connecting using AA on a single PNR but have a stopover at my connecting airport, can I check through or recheck?

AA will generally not through check bags or allow you to recheck bags if your layover exceeds twelve hours.

Q. Which carrier's rules apply?

Note: Checked baggage allowances may vary by status, class of service, origin or/and destination, type of baggage. Some AA affiliated credit cards allow one free checked bag on domestic travel - some up to four or eight passengers on the same itinerary.

A. It depends. On separate PNRs AA will collect baggage fees due, and the other airlines will collect what is due under their baggage policies.

On through-checked baggage, USDOT regulations require the marketing carrier of the initial segment baggage rules apply to USA originating (or ending, iirc) flights. E.g. flying QF as an AA codeshare, or QF connecting from AA marketed by AA, AA rules would apply. These take precedent of IATA rules if travel begins (or ends) in the USA.

For IATA governed international itineraries, baggage rules of the Most Significant / Prevailing Carrier apply:

In compliance with the new baggage policy issued by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), free baggage allowance and extra baggage charges for tickets issued on or after 1 April 2011 which involve one or more flights provided by other airlines will be based on a new method. If your journey includes connecting flights with more than one airline, the baggage allowances and fees of the airline that operates the longer leg of the itinerary (MDC) will apply throughout the itinerary. For example, if you fly a transpacific leg with one carrier and a domestic leg with another, the baggage allowances and fees of the carrier that operated the transpacific leg would apply to the whole journey, regardless of which carrier issued the ticket. (Language from Cathay Pacific.)

The Most Significant Marketing Carrier (MSC) is:
  • For travel between IATA areas: The first carrier flying in between two of the IATA areas
  • For travel between IATA sub areas: The first carrier flying in between the sub areas
  • For travel within an IATA sub area: The first carrier crossing an international border

IATA divides Areas and sub-areas. For example:

Area: North America, Central and South America, Hawaii
Subareas:
  • Canada, Mexico
  • Caribbean
  • Central America
  • South America

Area: Europe, Middle East
Subareas:
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • Africa

Area: Asia, Guam, Southwest Pacific
Subareas:
  1. Japan, Korea
  2. Southeast Asia
  3. South Asian Subcontinent / India
  4. Southwest Pacific
Q. Can I through check my baggage if I have an overnight stop?

That will probably depend on your first operating carrier. Some carriers have no problem with through checking bags if you're stopping overnight, e.g. Qatar Airways with an overnight in DOH, but AA uses a maximum of under 12 hours to determine whether you can through check or must recover bags on overnight stops. (However, ground agents may vary.)

Q. What are my AA and oneworld baggage allowances with [_______] status?

See here on aa.com for updates

A. Complimentary bags
In some cases, you won't have to pay the baggage fees for up to three 23 kg / 50 lb bags (32 kg / 70 lb some premium passengers). Find out if this applies to you. EXPs could have to three checked 32 kg / 70 lb bags.

1st checked bag is complimentary for:
  • Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator™ and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated flights)
  • AAdvantage Gold
  • oneworld Ruby
  • Alaska MVP members

1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • Platinum
  • oneworld Sapphire members
  • Alaska Airlines MVP Gold (AS is a oneworld member now)
  • Confirmed Business Class customers*

2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
  • Confirmed First Class customers on 3-cabin aircraft*
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum
  • oneworld Emerald, including Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
  • Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
  • Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel

Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald are allowed one more checked bag:

*See AA reducing some checked baggage allowance tickets pchs on / after 29 Mar 2016

Note: on through baggage: oneworld policy no longer entitles checking baggage through when using oneworld flights when connecting on separetily ticketed segments. Only AA and MH will still through-check baggage with separate PNRS.

Q. Do I have extended baggage allowance as AAdvantage Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald? (Yes, as of 1 Feb 2013

A. All oneworld Emerald customers, including AAdvantage Executive Platinums, will be entitled to an extra bag.

See:Customer Planning Advisory
Subject . . . APS 13002 – Extra bag for oneworld Emerald

Date . . . . . . Effective: February 1st, 2013
Issued . . . . .January 31st, 2013

Overview . . .Extra bag for oneworld Emerald
. . . . . . . . . . To improve the travel experience for our top tier customers
. . . . . . . . . . we are pleased to offer all oneworld Emerald members
. . . . . . . . . . one extra bag in addition to their free allowance.

Detail. . . . . All oneworld Emerald customers, including AAdvantage
. . . . . . . . . . Executive Platinums, will be entitled to an extra bag.

. . . . . . . . . . Emeralds will have the following allowance:
. . . . . . . . . . First/Business 4 free pieces up to 70lbs (32kgs)
. . . . . . . . . . Main Cabin 3 free pieces up to 70lbs (32kgs)
. . . . . . . . . . This applies to both international and domestic travel
. . . . . . . . . . on/after 1st February.

Processing . Please override the excess baggage mask using the OT
. . . . . . . . . . code using the explanation Emerald. Automation for this
. . . . . . . . . . change will be in place later in the year.

<redacted issuing personnel>

Reference . . .APS13002

Q. How many bags can I check?

A. Check up to 10 bags if your trip is:
  • Domestic
  • Transatlantic
  • Transpacific

Check up to 5 bags if you’re traveling to / through / from:
  • Mexico / Caribbean / Central America*See footnote
  • South America*See footnote

*There are seasonal and year-round baggage embargoes and restrictions

Q. Can I "split" my allowance? E.g. can I split a 23 kg / 50 lb per bag allowance and check two bags weighing up to 23 kg / 50 lb together?

A. No. Per bag weight maxima or number of bags allowed can not be shared or split.

Q. What are my Overweight Baggage Charges?

A. aa.com: Oversize and overweight baggage

We’re pleased to say that your bag can weigh up to 70lbs./32kgs at no extra cost if you are:
  • First Class
  • Business Class
  • Executive Platinum
  • oneworld Emerald

If you are checking more than 3 bags charges will apply.*

Additionally:

Link to checked baggage policy

Link to oversized and overweight baggage policy AA has a "hard limit" of not accepting any baggage that exceeds 45 kg / 100 lb for check-in.

Q. Must I recover and re-check my bags arriving from another country?

A. If you are arriving in the U.S.A. from an international airport, it will depend:

1) If you check in at airports like AUH, DUB, YVR etc. where you process USCBP immigration and customs prior to boarding, your flight will arrive in the U.S. as a domestic flight. Your bag can be checked through (assuming other conditions mentioned above are met), you will be able to proceed to your next flight airside.

2) If you are otherwise arriving from an international airport, you will generally be required to pass USCBP immigration, recover your baggage at the indicated carousel and process through Customs. As you depart the Customs hall, you can re-check your baggage for your continuing flights prior to departing the airside part of arrivals. You will generally have to produce a valid boarding pass and pass through TSA Security to return airside to continue your travel.

3) DFW, MIA (only) in the USA allow through ("ITI") checking for certain passengers arriving internationally and departing on another international flight. This will result in an "ITI" (International to International) check with ITI sticker on your boarding pass, and baggage will not have to be collected and rechecked. ITI passengers may still be required to pass through immigration, exit through customs gate and pass back through security. See this FT thread.

Helpful resource links:

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

AA: American Airlines a Checked baggage policy (includes infant assistive and medical devices, mobility devices, pets and specialty sports items).

See No More Multi-Reservation Through-Checking across oneworld

See Change to through-checking Oct 2014 (interlining) baggage on separate tickets

oneworld: oneworld Extra baggage allowance (status / class of service)

Please see FT: EXP / Emerald extended baggage / luggage allowance 1 FEB 2013 (master thread) if you are AA Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald.

Link to archived thread with older posts.

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Personally, I have bought a mixed carrier ( in terms of fare ) before through ITA Matrix and Priceline.
In this case, AA obliges that on transatlantic fares, the transatlantic leg should be marketed by AA and in this case, the OP's LHR-JFK flight is clearly marketed by and operated by AA.

AA offers a wider selection of transfer options.
BA Exec Club members earn more Avios ( redeemable miles ) on BA marketed flights so the OP may have wanted to maximize miles when possible.
There is a big difference between using multiple carriers on a single fare and a single ticket being made up of a fare issued by 1 airline on the outbound and the fare of another airline on the inbound

The issue of earning miles is simply down to what airline is used for travel . The AA issued fare allows travel on either BA or AA , It is still an AA fare though. Is is not using an AA fare on the outbound and a BA fare on the inbound. It is an AA fare throughout, just travelling on BA
Old May 15, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a big difference between using multiple carriers on a single fare and a single ticket being made up of a fare issued by 1 airline on the outbound and the fare of another airline on the inbound

The issue of earning miles is simply down to what airline is used for travel . The AA issued fare allows travel on either BA or AA , It is still an AA fare though. Is is not using an AA fare on the outbound and a BA fare on the inbound. It is an AA fare throughout, just travelling on BA
Oops, I made a typo error in my previous post,
The correct version of that sentence would be
In this case, AA obliges that on transatlantic fares, the transatlantic leg should be marketed by AA and in this case, the OP's LHR-JFK flight is clearly marketed by and operated by BA.
And here is the proof that the outbound is a BA, but the inbound is an AA fare.
Also, why should AA market his one flight under the BA code ( BA 4333 ) if AA was the one marketing the fare ?

As the OP hasn't given his departure date, I've selected a random one.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:29 pm

Because AA's fares rules permit it.- it may also be a JBV route

The OLN4T6B4 BER-LAX r/t fare specifies
Originally Posted by EF
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY BA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
There are more combinations permitted with IB and AY but have removed them for clarity.

In combinations it allows combination of fares

Originally Posted by EF
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER AA IN
ANY RULE AND TARIFF.
Where AA wants its flight numbers to be used on the transatlantic flight, it specifies it in the rules. e.g. for DXB-LAX rt the applicable flights includes

Originally Posted by EF
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH
TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AY
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY BA
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY IB.
On something like DXB to LAX, where BA and AA do not have itentical fare bases listed, does ITA return a fare combining 1/2 rt of an AA fare and 1/2 rt of a BA fare?

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 15, 2020 at 5:41 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Because AA's fares rules permit it.- it may also be a JBV route

The OLN4T6B4 BER-LAX r/t fare specifies

There are more combinations permitted with IB and AY but have removed them for clarity.

In combinations it allows combination of fares
You might be right in your assumption that it's a JBV route.

Where AA wants its flight numbers to be used on the transatlantic flight, it specifies it in the rules. e.g. for DXB-LAX rt the applicable flights includes

On something like DXB to LAX, where BA and AA do not have itentical fare bases listed, does ITA return a fare combining 1/2 rt of an AA fare and 1/2 rt of a BA fare?
Indeed I was mentioning this, AA wants to be the marketing carrier on the transatlantic leg on most fares when they use their own fare. ( Including ex-IST tickets which I book multiple times during each year )
And, it doesn't seem possible to have a 1/2 rt AA and 1/2 rt BA fare on the DXB-LAX route. It's either a full BA or a full AA fare that is allowed.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:07 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Over size baggage over charge - what to do next?

Quick question for the forum -
I had a painting to check on to last night’s AA38 from MIA to LHR, and I had measured it, and it had a total dimension of 90”. LxWxD.
Which is within the limits of the oversize item dimensions.
The website clearly states the fee for an item of such size, for European (transatlantic) is $150.
The agent said - it will be $200. But I need to check with my supervisor. The supervisor came back, and said it would be $400. We asked to speak to the supervisor who made the call, and she refused to come out and speak to us directly.
The check in agent said - he could override that charge, and make it $200. But we said - why, your website clearly claims it is $150. The agent said, it doesn’t matter what the website says, we have to charge by what the computer tells us to charge.

Ok, so its a quibble over $50. But there is a principle involved here. If we are told by AA.com the price is X, is that price what the consumer should pay?
And if so, how do we go about disputing this? Question it with AA customer services? We have the receipts, and dated screen shots of the website. We don’t dispute paying the correct oversize checked item fee. But to be overcharged and then argued about it with check in staff, just leaves a bad taste.

Annoying. But curious if other members have had price disputes over the published price and how it got resolved. Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:32 pm

You can request a refund of the difference by using prefunds.aa.com. Or you can reach out to Customer Service for clarification and compensation if appropriate. You can use the AA app now, so it should be quite straightforward.

Were you entitled to any free checked bags to begin with? Keep in mind that the oversize bag fee is in addition to any checked bag fee you may be subject to.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 2:53 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
You can request a refund of the difference by using prefunds.aa.com. Or you can reach out to Customer Service for clarification and compensation if appropriate. You can use the AA app now, so it should be quite straightforward.

Were you entitled to any free checked bags to begin with? Keep in mind that the oversize bag fee is in addition to any checked bag fee you may be subject to.
Yes I was flying in business class and also AA Platinum. I had one checked bag other than the oversized item.

Thanks for your advice. I shall pursue a refund for the difference which I am owed.
Just frustrating when agents point blank to believe what their own website says.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:21 am

AA Domestic Baggage Fees

Hi,

I've recently booked an AA domestic flight using British Airways Avios miles.
Due to the number of Avios I had available, I just booked economy class.
The taxes cost £17.20.

There are four of us travelling and we will be taking at least 3 checked bags.
So from what I have read on aa.com, they will cost $30 each.

In a couple of months, I will probably have the additional Avios that would have allowed me to book business class tickets.
So I was thinking of cancelling the original booking and re-booking in business class.

I would lose my original £17.20 taxes for the economy class tickets and would need to pay an additional £17.20 for the business class tickets.
But am I correct in thinking that I would no longer need to pay $90 baggage fees?
I.e. on AA business class domestic, each passenger gets at least one free checked bag?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:52 am

If you book business class, then you will get 2 pieces of baggage at 32Kg max per piece per person included
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:57 am

If you book business class, then you will get 2 pieces of baggage at 32Kg max per piece per person included
Thank you.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If you cancel they don't refund taxes? Who do they go to then?

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 11, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
If you cancel they don't refund taxes? Who do they go to then?
BA charge to cancel an Avios flight and refund the points (it's and admin/service fee).
The rule is "£35 per person OR the taxes and charges, whichever is lowest."
In my case, the taxes would be the lowest.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Aadvantage award Gold member checked baggage allowance (to merge)

Hello..i am AA lifetime Gold needing checked baggage allowances in economy from USA to Turkey over CMN on AA/RAM itinerary. Can I presume 2 bags of 50lbs.each?
thanks
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello..i am AA lifetime Gold needing checked baggage allowances in economy from USA to Turkey over CMN on AA/RAM itinerary. Can I presume 2 bags of 50lbs.each?
thanks
I believe AA Gold members are only allowed one free checked of up to 50 lbs, regardless of destination
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by cagcag
thanks
AA's website covers this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.