FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1575249-faq-baggage-luggage-rules-allowance-through-check-aa-other-airlines.html)

GBA83 Jan 2, 2019 9:20 am

FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines

HI,

Simple question, but no answer to be found:
Scenario: flying Aruba - Philadelphia - Seattle with AA with an overnight connection in PHL (13h30).
Since we have pre clearance on Aruba, Philadelphia won't be the first port of entry.
So... can AA check our luggage all the way to SEA? or do we have to pick it up @ PHL?

Many thanks!

JDiver Jan 2, 2019 10:25 am

Originally Posted by GBA83 (Post 30599440)
HI,

Simple question, but no answer to be found:
Scenario: flying Aruba - Philadelphia - Seattle with AA with an overnight connection in PHL (13h30).
Since we have pre clearance on Aruba, Philadelphia won't be the first port of entry.
So... can AA check our luggage all the way to SEA? or do we have to pick it up @ PHL?

Many thanks!

AA normally uses 12 hours as the cutoff for through-checking baggage.

wjb567 Jan 4, 2019 3:02 am

LHR Baggage Carousels

Hi All,
Can someone tell me if the baggage carousels at London Heathrow are flat (horizontal) or angled like they have in North America?

econometrics Jan 4, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by wjb567 (Post 30607969)
Hi All,
Can someone tell me if the baggage carousels at London Heathrow are flat (horizontal) or angled like they have in North America?

They're all flat at T5, I know that. And IIRC, they are mostly all flat at T3, but there's a couple that are angled, like in the US. I haven't claimed a bag in LHR in a couple years, so I don't usually pay attention when I'm walking through.

anaggie Jan 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Family baggage allowance with EXP

Flying to SJU with my wife and two kids in Y. Going to book all the tickets under one PNR so was wondering if everyone gets the baggage allowance since I am EXP. Would we be allowed 8 bags total?

This is one of the first Y flights I have booked in years so just wondering.

Thanks

josmul123 Jan 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 30649567)
Flying to SJU with my wife and two kids in Y. Going to book all the tickets under one PNR so was wondering if everyone gets the baggage allowance since I am EXP. Would we be allowed 8 bags total?

Thanks

The checked bag fees will be waived for all elite members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) for travel in the Main Cabin on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or marketed by American or American Eagle®.

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp (You have to click "More information about benefits at the airport" to see). Also, it's 3 bags for EXP. 4 people is 12 bags.

Uncle Nonny Jan 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 30649567)

Thanks

Yeah, 3 bags per passenger for 12 total. If you later split into separate PNRs (for upgrade purposes) you'll be reduced to 3 per whomever is left on your PNR. I made this mistake on a ski trip recently so I could upgrade my wife and I and have the kids ride in the back. We were then limited to 6 checked bags.

footballfanatic Jan 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Why bother with EXP if you rarely book Y?

anaggie Jan 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic (Post 30649642)

I earn EXP since my business travel is INTL J and with all the miles earned, I usually book J for family on long haul trips. Going to SJU doesn’t sound like a good usage of miles for J so we are buying Y seats.

Antarius Jan 13, 2019 2:49 pm

IRROPS.

JMN57 Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm

It's not like you have to select it - it kind of gets given to you automatically when you qualify.

Often1 Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm

The allowance and bag waivers should all be on OP's e-ticket receipts. That is what the counter agent will see when the bags are dropped. What do OP's say?

anaggie Jan 14, 2019 1:11 pm

It shows as two bags — no charge per person. As EXP, I know I am allowed three so we should get 12 bags.

TxGramma Jan 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Baggage on Finnair AY

Quoting from your prior post, " Under US law, the baggage allowance for all segments of a ticket originating or terminating in the US the base allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment. For this ticket, AA is the marketing carrier and the allowance for US-EUROPE is 1 bag. …."

We have round trip tickets, basic economy, DFW-LHR, with a Finnair confirmation number, labeled as " Finnair 5780 operated by American Airlines." Are you saying that we will have 1 baggage each on this flight? Will this be carry on or checked? Finnair apparently does not allow free baggage, but AA does. Thanks

giants_fan Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Caribbean Limit?

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 30654094)
It shows as two bags — no charge per person. As EXP, I know I am allowed three so we should get 12 bags.

I believe itineraries to the Caribbean are limited to 2 checked bags per person, hence a total of 8...

Any thoughts to splitting your PNR to take advantage of EXP upgrade for 2 of the 4 of you? SWUs or Miles+Co-pay for the other 2, space permitting?

What you can’t bring

When traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean, Central or South America, you will not be able to travel with:
  • Overweight items (more than 70lb/32kgs)
  • Oversized items
  • Excess bags (only 2 checked bags allowed)
  • Boxes**
**A “box” is any container that isn’t normally used for transporting items for air travel; this includes plastic tubs, containers and coolers.