Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Virgin America competition coming to DAL: effect on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Virgin America competition coming to DAL: effect on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by txp
Yes buy WN is not what it used to be anymore. And, WN can never compete with AA for business travelers on routes to the east and west coasts.
Lots of business travelers are just fine in a Y seat for a 1-3 hour flight, especially if that is on a 737 instead of a cramped RJ.

WN did not become a large airline just flying Maw and Paw Kettle to see the grandkids, and they have MORE gates at LGA, DCA and LAX than VX does, as well as ability to fly to HOU, SAT, PHX, ATL and other places than VX will never be able to offer out of DAL.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
I think what this shows is that Virgin does not have enough differentiation in product versus AA in order to win customers over once they decide to use DFW airport. Virgin, on the other hand, absolutely has a product lightyears different than Southwest and that they "could" compete more on product than anything else.

I think this is more a story of inability to compete with AA than anything else.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Lots of business travelers are just fine in a Y seat for a 1-3 hour flight, especially if that is on a 737 instead of a cramped RJ.

WN did not become a large airline just flying Maw and Paw Kettle to see the grandkids, and they have MORE gates at LGA, DCA and LAX than VX does, as well as ability to fly to HOU, SAT, PHX, ATL and other places than VX will never be able to offer out of DAL.
VX also pulled out of PHL, so they appear to be focusing in on WN, WN is also being attacked on the leisure side by NK.

Will be very interesting to see how WN responds. They are no longer a low fare carrier, lack of amenities, chronic delays, no interlining during IRROPS, labor issues, stated goal of 15% margin combine to put them in a precarious position; will they match fares, risk their stellar financial performance, or cede market share to VX, NK?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Herb687
For those who actually pay for F, this is a no-brainer.
I don't disagree that VX has a great product, I like it - but limited frequency is what won't make this a true competitor. I'm just spit-balling here, but let's say VX does 3-4 departures to NYC-area daily. Is the product that much more superior to AA that you'd trade AA's 24+ daily flights? If it's as successful as you guys are predicting - won't the fares rise as the capacity is severely constrained by just having a handful of flights from 2 gates with zero room for expansion?

VX should have grown at DFW, but AA is such a juggernaut in terms of daily schedule that it's very hard to make any in-roads.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think the City of Dallas is legally bound to the DoJ "recommendation" that VX get the two gates AA had to give up at DAL. Though if they DO decide to snub VX and lease the gates WN, I am certain there will be a legal challenge.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
I don't think AA is very much concerned with VX and their 3x daily service to DCA and the 4x to LGA - the huge win for AA is that they get to block DL out of DAL- When the divestiture was announced, DL proposed a large number of flights out of DAL that they won't have the chance to use now... An LCC competitor capped at two gates and a handful of flights is just what AA wants.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VX is the aspirational airline of the Silicon Valley crowd (and the one in the U.S. with the highest customer satisfaction), and AA is forced to match its prices on SFO-DFW even if VX only has 3 frequencies to AA's 11.

UA, which is far stronger in the Bay Area than AA, does not match VX's lowest prices on its 4 frequencies (2 of which are on -- gasp -- CR7s).

However, the days of $1,000+ SFO-DFW economy class roundtrips are gone.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FWAAA
With all due respect to the yokels on the Dallas City Council, they can no more give those gates to WN as they could give those gates back to AA.

The Department of Justice required that AA divest those gates as a remedy in an antitrust settlement, and the DoJ has selected VX as the appropriate new competitor. The Dallas City Council isn't in a position to second-guess that determination.

WN already controls 80% of the 20 gates at DAL and not a chance that a consultant's opinion will provide a legal rationale for awarding WN control of 90% of those scarce gates.
I agree the city really has no control because the Federal Government controls the landing slots I believe
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by john398
I agree the city really has no control because the Federal Government controls the landing slots I believe
They may do, but that's not the same as controlling the gates. They were just talking about this on the DFW-area local news. The city council is sure that they have the final say, but AA believe that they get to decide since they are the ones giving up the gates (and they chose VX)
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I am from Dallas (north), but have felt that, while DAL is convenient for central and south of Dallas folks, the lack of connecting flights INTO DAL makes it less viable than DFW. Maybe this will change with VX, but VX has limited flights everywhere (small route map).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by reeg2
AA, with over 800 flights per day from DFW, should be concerned about VX with 2 gates at Love for what reason?
I'm sure someone said something similar 3 or 4 decades ago about Herb Kelleher...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by relangford
I am from Dallas (north), but have felt that, while DAL is convenient for central and south of Dallas folks, the lack of connecting flights INTO DAL makes it less viable than DFW. Maybe this will change with VX, but VX has limited flights everywhere (small route map).
This will change with the expiration of Wright.

If this is no big deal for AA why did they offer DEQM when VX launched service to LAX and SFO?

I'm hoping at a minimum that this leads to a major fare ware. It would be nice not to have to trek to DFW.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
They may do, but that's not the same as controlling the gates. They were just talking about this on the DFW-area local news. The city council is sure that they have the final say, but AA believe that they get to decide since they are the ones giving up the gates (and they chose VX)
It seems like AA is trying argue that they own the leases to the gates so they get to pick, i.e. essentially subleasing the gates. However, DOJ has required AA to divest the gates, not simply stop using them, which would seem to mean the lease is broken and the gates would revert to the authority that controls the airport, which is the city.

Of course AA wants VX to have the gates. VX could stay at DFW and fly the same proposed flights, while WN could have 2 more gates and add even more competition to AA.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
It'll be a fun two years or so while it lasts. Cheap fares for everybody.

And AA isn't going to be the one that runs Virgin America out of town, it will be Southwest.

Maybe after $20M in losses Virgin will give up on this ridiculous idea?

I love Virgin America, it's domestic product is the best out there (but AA has superior catering, IMO, and Virgin's product is the worst in the trans-con market now), but wow, is it being stupid with this.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Despite the fact that Dallas is primarily served by pmAA, the new airline is acting as one entity from the perspective of business intelligence planning and route competition. Therefore I'll move this to the parent forum.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.