Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Virgin America competition coming to DAL: effect on AA?

Old Apr 28, 14, 8:43 am
txp
Original Poster

Programs: Former CO OnePass, UA, AA, DL, Starwood & other hotel chains

VX will soon fly from DAL to LAX, SFO, LGA, DCA and ORD. I hear their product is superior to AA both in coach and first. And their prices are very competitive, especially in first class. Will this have any effect on AA's product quality or price?
Old Apr 28, 14, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Given that Virgin America already services DFW, I'd say probably not.
Old Apr 28, 14, 8:54 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LucWise View Post
Given that Virgin America already services DFW, I'd say probably not.
They're moving completely out of DFW to DAL. But they will now fly to five destinations instead of two. The DAL-DCA and DAL-LGA market will now see some serious competition.
Old Apr 28, 14, 8:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by txp View Post
They're moving completely out of DFW to DAL. But they will now fly to five destinations instead of two. The DAL-DCA and DAL-LGA market will now see some serious competition.
This isn't confirmed yet though. Virgin America held a big publicity event last week, but Dallas city council, which has the final say, hasn't actually awarded then the two DAL gates that AA are giving up yet. Indeed, it was reported that the recommendation to the council is that those gates should go to WN.
Old Apr 28, 14, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I think they'll recruit at least one passenger: https://www.facebook.com/RRRawlings/...&stream_ref=10
Old Apr 28, 14, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
VX will soon fly from DAL to LAX, SFO, LGA, DCA and ORD. I hear their product is superior to AA both in coach and first. And their prices are very competitive, especially in first class. Will this have any effect on AA's product quality or price?
AA, with over 800 flights per day from DFW, should be concerned about VX with 2 gates at Love for what reason?
Old Apr 28, 14, 9:53 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I believe DL also announced plans for DAL-LGA.

Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
AA, with over 800 flights per day from DFW, should be concerned about VX with 2 gates at Love for what reason?
Because everything about AA sucks compared to VX. Sure VX will only compete with AA on a few routes but they are high yielding business routes with juicy O&D demand.

I have status with AA (currently Plat but has been as high as EXP) and heaps of AAdv miles banked but as a frequent purchaser of paid F there is no <redacted> way I would stick with AA when a much better option to LGA, ORD and SFO exists. I will be cheating on AA all the time on VX once this service begins and I suspect many more will do. Screw miles and status. If I can fly a better product at a competitive price, I will.

For those who actually pay for F, this is a no-brainer.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 14 at 6:55 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:02 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmsdfw View Post
This isn't confirmed yet though. Virgin America held a big publicity event last week, but Dallas city council, which has the final say, hasn't actually awarded then the two DAL gates that AA are giving up yet. Indeed, it was reported that the recommendation to the council is that those gates should go to WN.
http://www.virginamerica.com/press-r...ove-field.html

I think it's a done deal. See link above. And they are selling tickets already for these new routes.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:06 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
I believe DL also announced plans for DAL-LGA.

Because everything about AA sucks compared to VX. Sure VX will only compete with AA on a few routes but they are high yielding business routes with juicy O&D demand.

I have status with AA (currently Plat but has been as high as EXP) and heaps of AAdv miles banked but as a frequent purchaser of paid F there is no <redacted> way I would stick with AA when a much better option to LGA, ORD and SFO exists. I will be cheating on AA all the time on VX once this service begins and I suspect many more will do. Screw miles and status. If I can fly a better product at a competitive price, I will.

For those who actually pay for F, this is a no-brainer.
I agree. Anyone willing to pay F should go with VX. Their F cabin is reasonably priced also. Less than $900 RT to either the west coast or the east coast with enough advance purchase.

Although this might not seem like much of a threat to AA in the short term, over the longer term one should not be surprised to see VX making inroads in Texas once people start experiencing their product. Especially with a declining quality of UA's premium product, and now, I venture to say, AA's premium product also under the new management.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 25, 14 at 6:56 am
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:06 am

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Once Wright expires, WN will be flying many/most/all of these same routes out of DAL as well. AA knew competition was coming to the Dallas market.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:10 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
Once Wright expires, WN will be flying many/most/all of these same routes out of DAL as well. AA knew competition was coming to the Dallas market.
Yes buy WN is not what it used to be anymore. And, WN can never compete with AA for business travelers on routes to the east and west coasts. VX can, and they are the real competition.

AA could respond by upgrading their premium product experience.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:12 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
I think it's a done deal. See link above. And they are selling tickets already for these new routes.
As of this morning, those gates are still up for grabs. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/04/28/d...-up-for-grabs/

I hope folks purchasing those tickets have a viable backup plan if the airline ends up not getting the gates.

Last edited by Sant; Apr 28, 14 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:15 am
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sant View Post
As of this morning, those gates are still up for grabs. http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/04/28/d...-up-for-grabs/

I hope folks purchasing those tickets have a viable backup plan if the airline ends up not getting the gates.
Wow! Clearly a premature announcement from VX. This said, I hope the Dallas City council does the right thing and allow some much needed competition at DAL.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all due respect to the yokels on the Dallas City Council, they can no more give those gates to WN as they could give those gates back to AA.

The Department of Justice required that AA divest those gates as a remedy in an antitrust settlement, and the DoJ has selected VX as the appropriate new competitor. The Dallas City Council isn't in a position to second-guess that determination.

WN already controls 80% of the 20 gates at DAL and not a chance that a consultant's opinion will provide a legal rationale for awarding WN control of 90% of those scarce gates.
Old Apr 28, 14, 10:24 am

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Clearly a premature announcement from VX.
I think it's a brilliant move by VX. Generating a lot of publicity and drumming up interest ahead of time is a great way to put some pressure on the City Council.

I'm sure that VX Elevate members (I'm not in their program yet) with Dallas mailing addresses have already been contacted by VX and asked to lobby Council on their behalf.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: