Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alect
Hunch was right - called back - another agent who was willing to take exact details (date, airport codes, flight #) and saw the availability and booked me in for 6k +$4 taxes - initially mentioned $40 booking fee - but I mentioned that should be waived due to policy and not being able to book online - the fee was omitted!!
Glad it worked out!
Old May 1, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Booking Award ticket on LAN/TAM within Ecuador

Hey all,

It's my first time posting on the AA forum. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to my question.

I'm trying to book two low-level award tickets from Guayaquil/Quito to Baltra Island using AA miles. The AA website and award redemption chart leads me to believe that I can't do this.

Is that true? Is it not possible to use AA miles to book an intra-South American award ticket? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by berliner5000
Hey all,

It's my first time posting on the AA forum. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to my question.

I'm trying to book two low-level award tickets from Guayaquil/Quito to Baltra Island using AA miles. The AA website and award redemption chart leads me to believe that I can't do this.

Is that true? Is it not possible to use AA miles to book an intra-South American award ticket? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
You cannot book LAN tickets online. You will need to call in order to do so.

I am not sure what in the redemption chart leads you to believe this is not possible. UIO-GPS would be a "wholly within Ecuador" award; 5K in main cabin.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
My bad! I was only looking at the AA/US Air chart!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...ward-chart.jsp

I didn't realize that there was another one!!! Thanks!!
Old May 1, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
I'd price out the trip before using miles - I'm going to Colombia and will need a ticket BOG-->CTG (return), and I'd rather spend the $100 (and get miles) instead of using miles... for me, it's a better scenario since I'm unable to get many more CCs at the moment. You may want to see how much it costs for the flight before using the miles...
Old May 8, 2015, 6:40 am

Booking TAM flight segment on way from YYZ-SYD with AAdvantage

New to using AAdvantage points, apologies if this is a super basic question.

I see availability on YYZ->JFK-> SYD on TAM then Qantas during the date I'm interested in for one person in economy while using BA search engine. It does not show up on searching on the AA site, I tried calling AA and they said no availability as a reward flight for them currently

Is it that TAM is not giving availability to AA right now? If so, is there a possibility it might open up at a later date? And if so, when!

Or is it that you can't use a TAM flight in NA if not heading to Brazil?

Thanks a lot
Old May 8, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by TJ1010F
New to using AAdvantage points, apologies if this is a super basic question.

I see availability on YYZ->JFK-> SYD on TAM then Qantas during the date I'm interested in for one person in economy while using BA search engine. It does not show up on searching on the AA site, I tried calling AA and they said no availability as a reward flight for them currently

Is it that TAM is not giving availability to AA right now? If so, is there a possibility it might open up at a later date? And if so, when!

Or is it that you can't use a TAM flight in NA if not heading to Brazil?

Thanks a lot
TAM availability does not show up on aa.com period - you have to call.

There must be a published fare (in this case, between YYZ and SYD) that permits the routing and carriers that you want to use on the award.

Thus, assuming it is Qantas who publish the YYZ-SYD fare, the fare rules must permit a connection in JFK and they must permit TAM to fly the YYZ-JFK segment. The last part is most likely not true.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:45 am

You could always book JFK-SYD with AAdvantage, and book a separate award for YYZ-JFK on JJ, for 4500 BA avios in Y.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
You could always book JFK-SYD with AAdvantage, and book a separate award for YYZ-JFK on JJ, for 4500 BA avios in Y.
True, but with JJ and QF ticketed separately, there's no assurance of protection in the event of IRROPS.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I was thinking about that but how does that work logistically with checked baggage?
Old May 8, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Is there no award availability on AA from YYZ to JFK? From YYZ to LGA?

If you put YYZ-SYD into the award search engine on aa.com, does anything show up as available?
Old May 8, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Is there a particular reason why you want to fly via Brazil? My one experience in J on a JJ 330 was not exactly something I would want to repeat on two back-to-back long haul flights.

Why not just go via LAX or even SCL?
Old May 8, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris4096
Is there a particular reason why you want to fly via Brazil? My one experience in J on a JJ 330 was not exactly something I would want to repeat on two back-to-back long haul flights.

Why not just go via LAX or even SCL?
The OP does not want to go via Brazil. The OP wants to fly YYZ-JFK on TAM, and JFK-SYD on Qantas.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Is there no award availability on AA from YYZ to JFK? From YYZ to LGA?

If you put YYZ-SYD into the award search engine on aa.com, does anything show up as available?
Nope, nothing that involves YYZ-JFK on AA when searching on aa.com, and thus, not the JFK-SYD leg either. The YYZ-JFK on TAM only shows up as part of a search on BA.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by TJ1010F
I was thinking about that but how does that work logistically with checked baggage?
Many OW airlines will check bags through when on separate tickets. You'd be subject to TAM's policy on that. As noted, you have no protection if the TAM flight is delayed, so may be better to stopover in NYC anyway.

The allowance would be separate for each ticket, i.e. effectively the lesser of the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.