Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LATAM has been a one world partner, but

LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 30 April 2020 01 October 2020.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-01-31-LATAM-to-leave-oneworld-effective-1-May-2020

oneworld statement on LATAM

26 SEPTEMBER 2019
LATAM advised oneworld earlier today of their decision to partner with an airline outside of the oneworld alliance. LATAM further advised oneworld that they intend to leave the alliance in due course and in accordance with formal contractual requirements. We are disappointed, but we respect their decision. They have been a valued long-term member of the alliance, and we wish them well.

Our priority at this time is to our customers and while LATAM remains a member of oneworld, the full customer benefits will continue to be delivered. As the transition continues, we will work to ensure a seamless experience for our customers.

oneworld remains a strong coalition of high-quality airlines. There has been significant progress in member airlines deepening their bilateral relationships, as evidenced by the recent regulatory approval of the American Airlines and Qantas joint business.
LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Print Wikipost

Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txp
I am considering booking an award ticket from IPC to PPT on LATAM.

I cannot see any availability on AA.com. I DO, however, see availability on LATAM's website. Can someone tell me if these awards are restricted to LATAM's own FF program? Or, can I use AA miles by booking over the phone?
AA and LATAM are both members of the oneworld alliance (OW). LATAM has two types of availability, its own and what it publishes to its OW partners. To see if there's OW availability that you could call in to AA about, you need to search other using other OW partners. The simplest way, if you don't already have accounts with them, might be to use Award Nexus, which you can sign up for free (and do a number of searches for free) as a FlyerTalk member (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to sign up using your FT login). At AwardNexus, you can search via QF and/or BA (for OW flights such as LATAM), and you might want to search both. If neither shows the flights, then AA won't see them either if you call in. If at least one of them shows the flights, an experienced person at AA should be able to see them if you call in.

If neither QF nor BA show the flights, the only way to book is either to pay for the flight or to obtain LATAM miles (actually Multiplus points), but if you cannot use AA miles, then anything more you want to about transferring to LATAM miles or booking with LATAM miles, you should ask in the LATAM forum, rather than here in the AA forum. The LATAM/Multiplus English US website is kind of a mess right now (it's in a long state of transition), so you may need assistance with all that from the LATAM forum.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 7, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:03 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sdsearch
AA and LATAM are both members of the oneworld alliance (OW). LATAM has two types of availability, its own and what it publishes to its OW partners. To see if there's OW availability that you could call in to AA about, you need to search other using other OW partners. The simplest way, if you don't already have accounts with them, might be to use Award Nexus, which you can sign up for free (and do a number of searches for free) as a FlyerTalk member (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to sign up using your FT login). At AwardNexus, you can search via QF and/or BA (for OW flights such as LATAM), and you might want to search both. If neither shows the flights, then AA won't see them either if you call in. If at least one of them shows the flights, an experienced person at AA should be able to see them if you call in.

If neither QF nor BA show the flights, the only way to book is either to pay for the flight or to obtain LATAM miles (actually Multiplus points), but if you cannot use AA miles, then anything more you want to about transferring to LATAM miles or booking with LATAM miles, you should ask in the LATAM forum, rather than here in the AA forum. The LATAM/Multiplus English US website is kind of a mess right now (it's in a long state of transition), so you may need assistance with all that from the LATAM forum.
Thank you very much, this is very useful. I will sign up for Award Nexus; I did not know about it...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Still Use AA Miles on LATAM?

Is there a deadline on using AA miles for a LATAM flight?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tikchik
Is there a deadline on using AA miles for a LATAM flight?
Has been reported that 12 months notice is required to leave Oneworld alliance
But getting an award on LATAM is another question. Awards are not guaranteed.
https://www.oneworld.com/news/2019-0...ement-on-LATAM

LA---> Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...m-exit-ow.html
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:57 am

AA miles for LATAM

I have AA miles and would like to take LATAM tickets to MPN (Falkland Islands) from Cordoba of Sao Paulo. AA website doesn't give such options. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VNYC
I have AA miles and would like to take LATAM tickets to MPN (Falkland Islands) from Cordoba of Sao Paulo. AA website doesn't give such options. Any suggestions?
Phone AA
LATAM flights GRU to MPN only started 6 Nov 2019 (wikipedia)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Mount_Pleasant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A...tional_Airport
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:54 am

With LATAM scheduled to leave OW Oct 1 (and speculation perhaps earlier), and AA codeshares ending in January, I'm soliciting opinions on how comfortable folks would be scheduling an AA - LATAM Award flight this summer?

There's a flight I'd like to use miles for while the opportunity is available, but don't want to set up myself for headaches with a trip derailment, possibly at the last minute. AA/OW doesn't have flights on the route so my options would be limited to purchasing a LATAM ticket.

Or this likely a non-issue to worry about --- LATAM would honor the AA Award ticket even if they pulled out of OW sooner?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
LATAM would honor the AA Award ticket even if they pulled out of OW sooner?
Yes.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Yes.

I looked at the Wiki - (which the Wiki section itself mostly seems to be deleted?) All there is, is a blurb about the One World departure, and the following statement:

LATAM must give notice one year prior to departure. AA has apparently already pulled its codeshares operated by LATAM. The ability to use AA miles to fly LATAM on awards could also end before LATAM departs oneworld.

Is this expected/anticipated?

Now that I realize the entire Wiki has been removed, I'm more concerned about going forward with an expensive trip based on a LATAM award ticket. And I haven't seen any posts encouraging folks to use miles for LATAM awards while the opportunity remains, which seems somewhat odd under the circumstances (if award tickets weren't an uncertainty). Most of the LATAM posting has dried up completely. Any insights/thoughts -- thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:45 am

I looked at the Wiki - (which the Wiki section itself mostly seems to be deleted?) All there is, is a blurb about the One World departure, and the following statement:

Now that I realize the entire Wiki has been removed, I'm more concerned about going forward with an expensive trip based on a LATAM award ticket. And I haven't seen any posts encouraging folks to use miles for LATAM awards while the opportunity remains, which seems somewhat odd under the circumstances (if award tickets weren't an uncertainty). Most of the LATAM posting has dried up completely. Any insights/thoughts -- thanks.
Just bumping this for any feedback/insight. Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:47 am

Well, I didn't get any takers on requests for thoughts -- unusual for FlyerTalk where posters usually can't wait to tell people what they think - lol - but will share my experience in case it's helpful to anyone FWIW.

This morning I was able to book to an Award on LATAM for August 2020. The agent I got was helpful, courteous, pleasant, and efficient. This was a happy bonus, as I already felt extremely lucky, as my wait time for an agent was literally about 90 seconds. She was able to see availability on my date after I told her I'd seen the availability on BA. She was able to complete the reservation on her end, even securing me a window seat. I asked how long the flight might take to ticket. (Mainly because of breathing easier once actually issued, due to the situation with LATAM.) She put me on hold for a bit, came back and said it might take awhile (days+) due to being so far out (Aug). OK, no problem, assumed it might be. But ---- Flight ticket confirmation received 40 minutes later from AA. Entire process was 65 minutes start to finish.

So, the couple interesting notes. The first thing the agent said, when I asked to the award, was "we're not going to be partnering with LATAM any longer". (She said it nicely.) I told her I saw the availability on BA, and asked if there was a cutoff date for booking Award flights, and whether those already booked would be honored. She found the flight availability, but seemed quite surprised the system let her book it. In fact she proactively stopped the process twice to check with someone else about the cutoff date / policy on Awards - she seemed really surprised the system was letting her book it. She didn't specifically say, but I could tell from her trying to confirm dates, she didn't expect to be able to book an Award at all on LATAM, and did not want to set a customer up for later disappointment. So much so that she proactively put me on hold a second time to try to confirm again with someone else. Both times the Agent came back on and said no one seemed to be able to find or confirm any policy guidance or dates with regard to LATAM Awards, either for booking or honoring down the road. Then she said that perhaps AA and LATAM were still negotiating Awards, and she thought it'd probably end up being OK either way, if I actually received a ticket confirmation from AA from her booking. That LATAM and AA would honor it.

So.... I'm not entirely comfortable the Award won't still be cancelled at some point by AA. But right now I am happy and still blinking to have scored a Business class Award for IPC !! Fingers Crossed....
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
LATAM has stated it intends to leave oneworld 01 October 2020. It should theoretically be possible to secure AA awards using LA / LATAM (JJ / TAM flight coding ceased in latter 2019) until then (through September 2020). If previous precedent is held to, awards could be valid through September 2021, but no award changes involving LATAM would be allowed.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...ive-1-May-2020

31 Jan 2020
LATAM to leave oneworld effective 1 May 2020

LATAM Airlines Group will end its membership in the oneworld® alliance effective 1 May 2020, following the group’s decision to leave the alliance.

oneworld benefits for LATAM customers will be offered on oneworld flights up to and including 30 April 2020. LATAM Pass members will not receive oneworld frequent flyer benefits offered by Royal Air Maroc, which joins oneworld effective 1 April. LATAM will not offer oneworld frequent flyer member benefits to Royal Air Maroc Safar Flyer members.

<snip>

All redemption tickets that have been ticketed up to 30 April 2020 remain valid for travel, however, customers will not be eligible for oneworld tier status benefits if travel occurs after 30 April 2020.

A number of oneworld member airlines plan to maintain frequent flyer agreements with LATAM after 30 April. Customers are advised to contact their airlines or visit the airlines’ frequent flyer programme websites for more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.