Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
last week i was on #136 LAX-LHR. i booked in late nov and was always on waitlist. i called no fewer than 6 times to check/confirm and was always "on the list"

a week out i call and am informed i was NEVER on the list. put on list and naturally call every day.

day before flt i check in at LAX and was #2 on list. 7 open seats. by noon the day of flt only 2 seats remained open, i was knocked down to spot #4 then come time for boarding i was #1.

i sat in coach.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I bet those flights have -A- available, and that's what's causing the display of "upgrade available!" when it isn't. In any case, even if they don't, the functionality is *supposed* to show flight where SWU can be applied (on-line, eventually) but, is completely broken at present.
Indeed. One of my itineraries is showing "Systemwide Upgrade" on a BA-operated flight.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
Indeed. One of my itineraries is showing "Systemwide Upgrade" on a BA-operated flight.
Well, that, OTOH, could very well be a good omen for the not-to-distant future at such time when this functionality -does- work.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG PLT75, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by VSLover
last week i was on #136 LAX-LHR. i booked in late nov and was always on waitlist. i called no fewer than 6 times to check/confirm and was always "on the list"

a week out i call and am informed i was NEVER on the list. put on list and naturally call every day.

day before flt i check in at LAX and was #2 on list. 7 open seats. by noon the day of flt only 2 seats remained open, i was knocked down to spot #4 then come time for boarding i was #1.

i sat in coach.
You bring up a good point. I've seen several FT posters mention that the new AA site shows when SWUs are pulled(even for waitlisting). Can someone confirm that they have had the same experience?

I am supposedly waitlisted on two flights in March but my account page isn't reflecting that.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:16 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Next (horrible) data point: I was waitlisted at AA51 yesterday. I was unable to check in through BA for some reason and called up AA. They told be it's impossible because the flight is under LHR control and that I should expect to not get the upgrade cleared. The reason they stated is that if I would checkin now, my list position would be significantly higher but going through an agent the next morning would kick me back.

The next morning BA was unable to check me in for a while because they claimed they just saw the waitlisted flight and not the confirmed flight in Y. After some research, they checked me in and I was immediately placed at list position 10 :-(
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
2 for 2 on SW Upgrades..

Hi there,

Just as a data point...I was 2/2 for JFK->BCN and LHR->JFK for
SW upgrades. Both flights had empty J seats. I was confirmed
T-48 hours...

Now only if I could use these for BA flight upgrades, I would not
have to travel through JFK ;-)

First year, I was able to use all (8) SWUs :-)

F.A.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Booked SFO-DFW-ICN and return in December for March. SWUs waitlisted both ways on booking, but just cleared approximately 1 months before flight.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:34 am

I'm waitlisted for LAX-PVG and PVG-LAX flights, the first of which is less than two weeks away. Business cabin availability for both flights is 7 according to ExpertFlyer and two-thirds of the seats are unassigned. Is this normal? The EXP desk AAgents had said they would likely start clearing about a month out.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by bwiflyer01
I'm waitlisted for LAX-PVG and PVG-LAX flights, the first of which is less than two weeks away. Business cabin availability for both flights is 7 according to ExpertFlyer and two-thirds of the seats are unassigned. Is this normal? The EXP desk AAgents had said they would likely start clearing about a month out.
Yup. Happens often. Many times upgrades are not released even with an empty cabin in hopes of last minute purchases.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:57 pm

So my first ever upgrade attempt went sour and very quickly. When I booked(LHR-LAX on 77W) at 2 months out, there were 28 seats in J. By now(3 weeks to go), EF is saying that J availability is zeroed out. AA seat map shows 6 seats(I am guessing these are simply not claimed yet).

Has anyone had any luck with getting the upgrade in such situations? I am assuming that my only hope is that I am high on the list and a few people change their travel plans last minute.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Andrito
So my first ever upgrade attempt went sour and very quickly. When I booked(LHR-LAX on 77W) at 2 months out, there were 28 seats in J. By now(3 weeks to go), EF is saying that J availability is zeroed out. AA seat map shows 6 seats(I am guessing these are simply not claimed yet).

Has anyone had any luck with getting the upgrade in such situations? I am assuming that my only hope is that I am high on the list and a few people change their travel plans last minute.
What date?

Remember, there is bad weather that is resulting in people having to change their travel plans.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
DFW-NRT and NRT-ORD (2 for 2)

Late January cleared SWU for DFW-NRT C with about three days to go. The return NRT-ORD cleared I believe at about the same time even though I was returning on a three day trip. NRT-ORD usually has lots of J seats and C inventory seems to open up without any problem based on what I was tracking in January. in/out DFW is tougher.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
What date?

Remember, there is bad weather that is resulting in people having to change their travel plans.
March 1st

I booked a Saturday - smart. I booked on the eve of the Oscars - not so smart. If Sunday remains strong(about 20 seats left), I'll probably just switch over to that day. Unfortunately, I probably get in the back of the line for the upgrade list.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Andrito
March 1st

I booked a Saturday - smart. I booked on the eve of the Oscars - not so smart. If Sunday remains strong(about 20 seats left), I'll probably just switch over to that day. Unfortunately, I probably get in the back of the line for the upgrade list.
Feb 28 and March 1 are both packed. I am on Feb 27, which looks ok so far from a UG chance perspective.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was waitlisted for ORD-PEK-ORD on a sponsored EVIP I have no status. My PEK-ORD for early next week cleared yesterday along with a MIA-PHL segment. Sadly i'm cancelling the trip so do not get to sample the AA J service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.