Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Anyone successful at getting eVIP / Systemwide Upgrades that you're wait listed for?

Old Jan 26, 14, 7:04 pm
vaa
Original Poster

My experience has been that if they weren't issued immediately upon booking, they never come through. But the Plat. agents are telling me that "it looks good".
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
Originally Posted by vaa View Post
My experience has been that if they weren't issued immediately upon booking, they never come through. But the Plat. agents are telling me that "it looks good".
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Every SWU that I have ever waitlisted (>10) has cleared. I'm 100%. I know for a fact that many others on Flyertalk have also had waitlisted SWUs clear. At least for EXP, clearing is far more common than not clearing. Apparently, YMMV.
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I missed one once as a PLT (LHR-LAX). But I've yet to miss since I've been EXP; it's gone right down to the wire at the gate a couple of times, though.
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Yes, lots.
Old Jan 26, 14, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, but any waitlisted EXP will clear ahead of any Plat or non-status pax regardless of when each was added to the waitlist, so for non EXPs all they can really say is it looks good unless more EXPs request the upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:19 pm
vaa
Original Poster

Thanks all. I am EXP and last time tried to use SWU another EXP was moved ahead of me on wait list at the gate. I'm glad to hear that's unusual.
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:31 pm
cnx

I have a reservation from ORD to PVG on 3/31. I‘m EXP already requested Systemwide Upgrade from Y to J a week ago. I checked there are no seats sold in J Class,but still in waitlist. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:34 pm
vaa
Original Poster

Maybe that's why I subconsciously left out the Executive part!
Old Jan 26, 14, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by cnx View Post
I have a reservation from ORD to PVG on 3/31. Im EXP already requested Systemwide Upgrade from Y to J a week ago. I checked there are no seats sold in J Class,but still in waitlist. Any suggestions?
Relax. 3/31 is a long way off.
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
My experience is the exact opposite; In 10+ years as EXP, I've only had one SWU not clear. It was ORD-FCO maybe 5 years ago and the flight the day before had been cancelled so our flight was significantly oversold.

I fly primarily TATL, and usually book about 6 weeks in advance.

I do find that they clear later than they used to - but I'm still very happy w/my upgrade successs.
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Thanks all. I am EXP and last time tried to use SWU another EXP was moved ahead of me on wait list at the gate. I'm glad to hear that's unusual.
Do you mean the upgrade list that's visible on the screens at the airport? If so there are many explanations for how/why that happens, it isn't automatically that you were skipped over.
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Yes. In September and this month, I was waitlisted on at least one segment (ICN - DFW RTs) and both times, I got the upgrades. Be patient, you may get it.
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:15 pm
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
As an exp, all my swus (except one) have cleared. [Though I usually try to book flts. where C class is available--and not have to be waitlisted.] The one that didn't clear was jfk-zrh the Thurs. before presidents day 3 years ago. When I did a kiosk check in (I couldn't do OLCI since I was waitlisted for a swu), I was offered the upgrade for $3000...expertflyer sent me an email that "C" class was available, but that email was timestamped 5 minutes after the flight departed.
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
They would only be moved ahead of you if they could provide documentation that they should be ahead of you (read: through passenger).
Old Jan 26, 14, 9:19 pm
vaa
Original Poster

Thank you all!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: