Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

AA operates non-status, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro combined call center as well as Executive Platinum, Concierge Key dedicated call centers.

Read on for alternatives

There can be several causes of lengthy call answering, among them irregular or off schedule operations (OSO / IROPS) caused by weather.

● Call wait times extend as OSO develop - storms, etc. particularly affecting hubs, which produce knock-on effects that may persist a day or two.

● You can see current AA travel policies: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...avelAlerts.jsp

● You can always check FlightStats current North America airport delays, for example, to see how things are - here.

● For other useful links, tools etc. see the wiki for AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources (master thread).

Try using the AA Twitter team: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.) This can be useful and rapid.

● At times like these AA may open their OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) desk to help inconvenienced travelers. 800-446-7834 is the number, and the desk is only staffed during severe OSO. (Please call only if your travel is disrupted, of course.)

● Others have called 1.800.222.2377 (web services) and had shorter response times.

● If you speak Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese or use a TDD, you may get faster attention; see numbers below.

● You can try calling non-USA numbers, listed here:

bchandler42 reports "During weather events, the elite line will have the option to press 1 for the callback. I use that, longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes which was accurate with the expected time it gave me."

giblet called Thailand using Skype (2.3 cents a minute).

● There is one call-handling nexus, with prioritized lines for Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro status holders, and separate Executive Platinum and Concierge Key "desks". Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro callers are prioritized to be answered by the same agents that respond to non-status customers.

Code:
Telephone numbers for speakers of Castilian Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, Japanese:

English (Inglés)
 1-800-433-7300
 7 days a week

Japanese 1-800-237-0027
 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. CT 7 days a week

Mandarin Chinese 1-800-492-8095
 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT Mon - Fri
 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CT Sat and Sun

Spanish 1-800-633-3711 7 días a la semana

TDD 1-800-543-1586
 (for hearing impaired or deaf people /
 para personas con discapacidad auditiva o del habla)
Link to archived previous posts in ARCHIVE: Long wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines (2014)
[/FONT]

"Transplanted from another post, for those affected overseas.

So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute), Google Hangouts or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.
Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype, Google Hangouts or other VOIP internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to USA airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware “Misery Map” (graphic representation of troubles on a USA map)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of involuntary reroute

Link to archive of this thread, posts 2015-2019

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Long call wait / delay / hold times for AA phone lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have noticed the old US Airways hold music playing on my calls recently. Is this only for certain call centers? I have noticed calls that have this type of music have much surlier service and often much more passive aggressive than those that don't.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Is there something going on today with AA? Initially quoted 20-25 min wait by the automated system, but over 40 minutes wait on the phone and still on hold. Very unusual.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
1hr 20m callback time for EXP Desk just now.

What in the heck is going on with AA right now? Are there major delays or something happening at one of their hubs?

I just called the EXP desk and they offered to call me back in 1hr20m.

It's almost laughable as I thought it was going to finish with one MINUTE.....haha
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n-6-17-a.html#
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Hmm....well I hope nobody steals my SWU upgrade before they call me back to apply it for our LAX-HKG flight! It's showing C2!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its a mess tonight. Big delays. And the weather is pretty nice across much of the country.

Ive heard 400+ cancellations out of PSA so that is going to create issues.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:46 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Its a mess tonight. Big delays. And the weather is pretty nice across much of the country.

Ive heard 400+ cancellations out of PSA so that is going to create issues.
ahh....
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
Hmm....well I hope nobody steals my SWU upgrade before they call me back to apply it for our LAX-HKG flight! It's showing C2!
which date? 😜
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by 355F1
you might try DMing aa Twitter and ask them to clear it for you.

cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:34 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aacar
which date? 😜
haha! Nice try!!!!

Just cleared both of them for January of next year--a week before their expiration date.

Originally Posted by msv777

you might try DMing aa Twitter and ask them to clear it for you.

cheers.

Like Dwight from The Office once said....I really should get a Tweeter Account.

ARCHIVE of 2015-2019 posts on this topic.

For current thread, please see here.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:19 am Reason: Insert moderator note
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA
Trying to Call AA reservations for 2 days - not available???

I tried booking a flight for me and my daughter on AA. Whenever I would put in 2 pax on the online form, it would return a "error 500 server error" so I put just 1 pax and entered my info. When I tried to do the same for my daughter, the web site stated "minors flying alone please call reservations". OMG! So I've been calling AA at the # 800-433-7300 for the past TWO DAYS and I have to go thru this gowd aweful automated system and finally get "the department you are calling is experience high call volume, please try your call again later". CLICK. It hangs up on me.

Did AA go out of business or something?

This has to be the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. First their web site doesn't work, and now when I call to book a reservation and pay them $ I get hung up on! For TWO DAYS???!!! What the heck am I suppose to do at this point? My daughter has to be on that flight with me. How can a company as big as AA hang up on paying customers!?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Waits will be lengthy (or, more rarely, calls disconnected) when there is major weather activity in a big carrier hub. That's true of AA, United, or delta. Weather in Chicago and the regional carrier debacle in Charlotte -- yeh, phone waits are going to be long.

I can appreciate you don't want to wait. Try a travel agent or another carrier.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Waits will be lengthy (or, more rarely, calls disconnected) when there is major weather activity in a big carrier hub. That's true of AA, United, or delta. Weather in Chicago and the regional carrier debacle in Charlotte -- yeh, phone waits are going to be long.
I don't think that OP is complaining that the wait is long. The complaint is that it is literally impossible to get through to AA over a period of days. Saying "oh, that stuff just happens when you try to use a company that also has terrible computer systems so can't operate flights successfully" isn't much of an excuse and is not really that reflective of what is "normal" in the industry.

I can appreciate you don't want to wait. Try a travel agent or another carrier.
It doesn't help that this is compounded by an aa.com problem in the first place that trigger OP to try to book two separate tickets. Unfortunately, using another carrier is not going to help much since OP wants to the daughter on the same plane presumably. OP and other readers may want to take note of this experience to decide whether or not to do business with AA in the future, but in the short term it seems like OP will have to periodically continue to try to call AA until they adequately staff their phone lines to actually answer the phone or get their computer system fixed enough that they don't have as many people calling to deal with their broken itineraries.

A travel agent may be helpful, but when I tried a couple online options none of them would let me set up a trip with just a child; I'm not sure if offline agencies can do this instead.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
AA's call back system didn't kick in?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been hung up by AA in the past too, very frustrating. Yesterday I waited 1:20 for a callback as an EXP. Later tried to call back and was quoted 1:30 so decided go go to sleep instead. We were stranded overnight in Lafayette, LA while trying to get from MIA to IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.