Wiki Posts
Search

reactivate on US or AA??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
reactivate on US or AA??

Sorry for duplicate posting if this has already been covered.

Things look bleak for Star Alliance based out of PHL, so I want to reactivate long dormant accounts -- I have both (long unused) US Air and AA cards (regrettably no status on either). Is my best path focusing on US Air or AA until the full merger of programs occurs.

I see I can buy up to silver on US (which seems to make some sense) -- any analogous options in AA?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Unless you plan to use your miles soon, it doesn't matter very much whether you accumulate them on US or AA since the accounts will eventually be merged. One point to remember, though, is that flights on UA (and other *A carriers) can earn miles on US from now through March 30. These flights cannot be credited directly to AA.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Actually, if you're based in PHL, you may be better with U.S. Airways. Their credit card gives you access to First Class Check In and Group 2 Boarding on US flights. I'm not sure that AA's card will do that, and for the next 18-24 months, US will be the operator on most PHL flights. Not sure if the Citi AAdvantage card will do this for you?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: US Airways, Hilton, Marriott
Also, there is no buy up that I am aware of in AA. However, currently if you have status on one, you are not eligible for upgrades on the other. If you buy up for status on USAir, you do get preferred seating for no charge on AA. I was also informed you may get free drink and food on AA but I am not clear on that point. I have a trip next week and can advise back then. Be sure though if you do travel on AA and have USAIr status that you provide your USAir FF number.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
I would go US only because for a short time (until March 30) you can earn and accrue miles on three US Domestic Airlines (US, AA, UA). This may be a moot point if you don't have heavy travel in the first quarter. Beyond March, I'm not sure if it matters much from a purely flight earning perspective.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
Actually, if you're based in PHL, you may be better with U.S. Airways. Their credit card gives you access to First Class Check In and Group 2 Boarding on US flights. I'm not sure that AA's card will do that, and for the next 18-24 months, US will be the operator on most PHL flights. Not sure if the Citi AAdvantage card will do this for you?
This ^ unless there's a significant difference in cost to reactivate (especially on a per/mile basis). If there is take that into consideration. (Where's that point up smiley when you need it...)

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.