Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport / Terminal, Gate, Counter Change - Master Thread (Changes & Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA / US Airport / Terminal, Gate, Counter Changes Due to Merger

PLEASE help us keep this changes thread updated by adding your observed or reported gate changes.

DFW Special notice March 2016

We operate out of multiple terminals at this airport. Check your flight status for gate information.

[hl]As of March 2016 American Eagle flights operated by ExpressJet CRJ - seemingly not ERJs (still out of B) moved to gates E34-E38.
Note: Admirals Clubs changes, closures, consolidations can be found here.

BNA - Nashville: Terminal C now hosts AA as of 12 Aug 2014.

BOS - Boston Logan: Terminal B expansion completed and opened on 4/30/14. All US and AA gates now at Terminal B; 3 check-in locations, marked outside by gate number.

BUF - Buffalo: Admirals Club closed end of October, 2015.

CDG - Paris Charles deGaulle: LUS moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2A in June 2015. (PurpleCircle)

CLT - Charlotte: Ticket counters at CLT are now Combined between B & C. AA has moved gates from the A concourse to the low B's (B5 & B7).

DCA - Washington Reagan, VA: AA using Terminals B and C. American Shuttle flights and ticket counters moved to Terminal B, as well as ticket counters for Priority. Ticket counters for Main Cabin in Terminal C.

DEN - Denver International: AA gates at A Concourse, West ticket counters. (Implemented ~14 Feb 2015).

DFW - Dallas-Ft. worth International: [B]All LAA and LUS flights, except American Eagle CRJ flights by ExpressJet, operate out of A-B-C-D now.

Admirals Clubs at A (old Flagship lounge closed, old Arrivals has small workout room and wonderful rain showers), C (nothing special) and international D (newest, tarmac views, Flagship Dining). All offer showers. D also offers AMEX Centurion, BA and shared. QF/QR (both offer F and J) and The Lounge at DFW. (10 Nov 2011.)

ELP - El Paso, Texas: US Airways operations moved to American Airlines Gate 1 in Concourse A.

IAD - Washington Dulles, VA: LUS moved from Z gates to the current AA B gates.

GRU - Guarulhos, São Paulo, Brazil - AA has moved from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3. The Admirals Club construction is completed and Lub is open.

JAN - Jackson Medgar Evers Jackson, Miss.: no date given. AA ticket counter moving next to LUS counter, AA signage at Gate 3. (adambrock)

JFK - John F. Kennedy International New York: US has already moved to AA Terminal 8

LAX - Los Angeles, California: On May 16 2016 the remote gates at LAX formerly 44A-I were renumbered to 60A-I. LUS operated AA flights are now in T6 (as of Nov 6, 2014). The underground tunnel from T4 to T5 is now open, in addition to the previously-open T5-T6 tunnel, so one can walk airside between AA's T4 and US's T6. The T-4 to TBIT airside connector is open. AA flights currently depart T-4, T-6, the remote Eagle terminal, and several domestic flights a day depart TBIT - easy access via the T-4 - TBIT connector.

LGA - D1 Admirals Club arranges for a shuttle if you're departing Terminal C (where the AC rebranded US Airways Club is). See Lounge Dasboard.

LHR - London Heathrow, UK: US moved from T1 to T3 June 24th, 2014 to line up with AA who fly out of T3 (and some oneworld - AY, CX, JL, QF, RJ and some BA flights).
● See NEW LHR / London Heathrow AA T3 <---> BA T5 connection / transfer thread
● See the Lounge Dashboard for LHR lounge information.

MAN - Manchester, UK: LUS Airways moved to T3 on April 2, 2014 to line up with AA and BA who fly out of T3 as well.

MCI - Kansas City, MO: LUS Moved to Terminal C (same as AA) 8 Jan 2014, more info here (US PM Forum).

MCO - Orlando, FL: Ticket counters now on B side of terminal. AA moved to the LUS airside (3) at MCO.

MIA - Miami, FL: LUS moved from J to D/E Gates on 12 Mar 2014.

MSP - Minneapolis - St. Paul: AA located at the end of E-concourse, Gates E11 through E16 (E11 and E13 share a jetway). 30 Oct 2014.

MSY - New Orleans, LA - LUS Airways has moved to Concourse C, operating out of gates C9, C11, C15, and C16.

MUC - Munich, Germany: LUS moved to Terminal 1 24 April 2014.

ORD - Chicago-O'Hare, IL: LUS moved to Terminal 3, H concourse on 1 July 2014.

ORF - Norfolk, VA: AA moved to Concourse A on 20 May 2014.

PBI - West Palm Beach, FL: AA moved from Concourse C to gate B12.

PHX - Phoenix Sky Harbor, AZ: AA moved to LUS T4 26 Feb 2014.
AA PM Forum: PHX: AA relocateD to PHX Terminal 4 26 Feb 2014

PIT - Pittsburgh, PA: AA moved ticket counters and moved to LUS Concourse B.

RDU - Raleigh Durham: LUS to move to gates adjacent to AA gates 2016 The US ticketing and check-in moving next to AA eff Aug 11 2015

ROC - Rochester, NY: AA ticket counters moved to "upper entry A" adjacent to US check in counters. Paulakers, 4 Jun 2014

SAN - San Diego International/ Lindbergh: AA and US have consolidated to AA gates 23-32. AA has left the commuter gates. See here.

SDQ - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Hall A has the ticketing counters.

SFO - San Francisco, CA: AA operate out of Terminals 1 and 2. Ticket counters are only available in Terminal 2. (US moved into (same) Terminal 1 Boarding Area C May 2015.) NOTE: AA is located in Terminal 2, Boarding Area D, Gates 50-59; the Admirals Club is located immediately left after clearing the security checkpoint. Airside connection between T-1C and T-2 open 9th Nov 2014.

SJU - San Juan Luís Muñoz Marín Int'l. AA check-in, security moved to Terminal C. Admirals Club closed end of 2015. Ex-CO Presidents Club, Global Lounge ($27, Priority Pass, Diners) nearer AA C gates.

SMF - Sacramento, CA: All AA is homed in Terminal A now. AA ticket counters.

STL - St. Louis, MO: US has moved from Terminal A to Terminal C, gates C16, C18 and C24, according to www.flystl.com.

YYZ - Toronto Pearson YYZ: US has moved to Terminal 3 on May 28.

Please edit/add to this Wikipost with any done, confirmed, announced or pending terminal and associated changes (not speculative or possible changes). Updated 16 May 2016 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Airport / Terminal, Gate, Counter Change - Master Thread (Changes & Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by jsieds
Thanks for the Massport link. No net gate increase is interesting. Will there be enough capacity to move all United flights to terminal B while maintaining US/AA capacity?
The Terminal B renovation was planned before the AA bankruptcy, so I'm sure Massport and UA both thought there was enough capacity at the time they designed the new terminal. If UA wants to expand significantly in BOS then maybe they would run out of gates but so far at least there is no sign that they want to do that.

AA has to divest two BOS gates as part of its antitrust settlement, but Terminal B doesn't seem to be at capacity presently so I don't think that should be a big deal.

If new AA decides to ramp back up its footprint at BOS, that could become a problem but again, that is speculative at present.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rajuabju
US Airways was moving out of T1 @ LAX... I assume now they will just operate out of T4 where AA is already the sole operator. I hope they refurb but doubt it.
I thought the original plan was for US to move to T3?

It would seem to be quite cramped to move all US operations into T4 - the existing AA ops already seem to stretch the place beyond capacity.

Any better solutions on the horizon for AA at LAX, beyond the extra gates at TBIT?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I thought the original plan was for US to move to T3?

It would seem to be quite cramped to move all US operations into T4 - the existing AA ops already seem to stretch the place beyond capacity.

Any better solutions on the horizon for AA at LAX, beyond the extra gates at TBIT?
It depends upon when they are planning to vacate T1 now that the merger is going ahead. AA will soon be getting access to 4 gates at TBIT. That, coupled with the fact that 321s will be flying to JFK, means that AA will have a greatly reduced need to have widebody-capable gates at T4. You could probably add two more gates at T4 with that development. IIRC, US is running around 18 daily flights out of LAX. And a third of those go to PHX. Where AA also flies to out of LAX.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2MM; UA LT Gold MM; HH LT Diamond; Marriott Tit LT PLT
SMF - AA moving to Terminal A

Originally Posted by george 3
One for me to add. I was in SMF Terminal B this afternoon. Plenty of gate space for US to join up with AA in a brand new terminal.
I talked to a US gate agent in SMF last week.

She told me that AA would be moving to terminal A with US. It sounded pretty definite, because she was relieved that the move would be after the holidays to avoid confusion during peak travel.

She said a major factor was the higher rents charged for gates in Terminal B.

To me, that's a positive - less congestion than in Terminal B with the masses from WN.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Microwave
You probably came in from Midwestington.
As far as DFW is concerned, B is not close to full, but I believe all of US Airways current DFW service is mainline. That said, we're talking maybe 15-20 daily departures; I'm sure sure A, C and D can handle it even with the temporary gate closures. As regards ORD, I'm only making educated guesses, but I remember reading somewhere that AA had capacity to grow at ORD (this would have been several months ago) and am extrapolating based on that. US have more ORD frequencies than DFW while AA have fewer ORD frequencies than DFW, and obviously there's substantially fewer gates and less terminal space, so it may be much trickier there. Even still, I personally have no doubt that AA will make a go of it in terminal 3 for the time being, and will play nice with CDA as needed to make it work. And if you knew my track record as an armchair CEO, you'd know that I've got a perfect 100% track record of always being either right or wrong.

Agree, agree, agree. If I were to do a review of the Eagle's Nest at LAX, I'd probably sound like Jebidiah Atkinson. Unfortunately, in the short term (and probably well into the medium term) LAX is LAX, and AA can deal as best they can or throw their toys out the pram and go home. The T4-TBIT connector (and commensurate TBIT gates) will help, but regionals will continue to be a pain point for some time to come I fear.
Now I remember, it was TUL! As for LAX, the connector will help, but maybe it's time for the airport authority to take two or three steps back and evaluate the airline locations. The big mergers are over.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Chetney
I talked to a US gate agent in SMF last week.

She told me that AA would be moving to terminal A with US. It sounded pretty definite, because she was relieved that the move would be after the holidays to avoid confusion during peak travel.

She said a major factor was the higher rents charged for gates in Terminal B.

To me, that's a positive - less congestion than in Terminal B with the masses from WN.
I'm going to miss the tram ride LOL. I was at SMF Terminal B on Monday afternoon and "crowded" was not a word I would use. But I can understand the economics.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:41 am

Coming thru LGA late last night it appears that AA removed the old gate desk/podium at D1. The gate area appears to be down, so they may be installing new design materials for preview January 7?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
At RDU, AA needs to stay in C as the high C gates are the only gates with a pathway to customs, which AA needs for its LHR flight.
They could also move Jet Blue and Frontier from the even numbered C gates down to the D gates US currently uses. This would free up space closer to the gates that AA currently occupies. Delta also uses one of the international gates seasonally for their flights to/from CUN.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
It depends upon when they are planning to vacate T1 now that the merger is going ahead. AA will soon be getting access to 4 gates at TBIT. That, coupled with the fact that 321s will be flying to JFK, means that AA will have a greatly reduced need to have widebody-capable gates at T4. You could probably add two more gates at T4 with that development. IIRC, US is running around 18 daily flights out of LAX. And a third of those go to PHX. Where AA also flies to out of LAX.
http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...s-in-february/

...Once the two airlines complete their integration, it’s not clear what the combined American Airlines will be able to do do with a single gate in Terminal 3. American runs its LAX operation from Terminal 4, which is not connected to Terminal 3.

So it looks like US will still go to T-3 (if there are still any PI folks with US there, it will seem like old times) and AA may run a split operation after the operational merger. As they did for a while after the TWA merger).
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Dont call me Shirley
http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...s-in-february/

...Once the two airlines complete their integration, it’s not clear what the combined American Airlines will be able to do do with a single gate in Terminal 3. American runs its LAX operation from Terminal 4, which is not connected to Terminal 3.

So it looks like US will still go to T-3 (if there are still any PI folks with US there, it will seem like old times) and AA may run a split operation after the operational merger. As they did for a while after the TWA merger).
It was mentioned elsewhere that although AA is surrendering the leases on the gates in T3, they will become CUTE (common use) gates and AA may still have some access to them.

Apparently there is some understanding between AA and LAWA that they are "owed" two gates that they lost when the old Eagle facility was closed.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by lhl12
The Terminal B renovation was planned before the AA bankruptcy, so I'm sure Massport and UA both thought there was enough capacity at the time they designed the new terminal. If UA wants to expand significantly in BOS then maybe they would run out of gates but so far at least there is no sign that they want to do that.

AA has to divest two BOS gates as part of its antitrust settlement, but Terminal B doesn't seem to be at capacity presently so I don't think that should be a big deal.

If new AA decides to ramp back up its footprint at BOS, that could become a problem but again, that is speculative at present.
A number of years ago, AA cut back from B22-36 to just using B31-36 (B30 is a bus gate). US Airways' side is significantly underutilized and they hold the master lease on B1-B21 (currently using B4-21, B9 is a bus gate which closes B11 as it is used for ground-level boarding). If Air Canada is moved out of B1-B3 (not currently connected to B4-B21 behind security) there will be more than enough room. B1-B3 can't be connected to B4-B21 without losing substantial square footage in the US Club, but can be for regionals and bussed from B9.

BOS as a whole is not lacking gates, they're just in non-contiguous bunches of 2 and 3, which is why united needed to build to get 8 together.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: US CP
Heathrow - terminal and lounge?

I was just reading the US Airways Club webpage and saw the following:

We’ll be exiting Star Alliance on March 30, 2014 and, after that date, you’ll no longer receive Star Alliance lounge access. We plan to join the oneworld alliance on March 31, 2014, and we look forward to bringing you many new benefits, including access to 550 airport lounges throughout the world.
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...b/default.html

US Airways currently flies in and out of Terminal 1 and uses the Star Alliance or BMI lounges, AA Terminal 3 and has (Flagship and Admiral?)Lounges . I would assume all operations will move over and be consolidated at Terminal 3? Will this move be before US/AA leaves Start Alliance? Or will there be an alternate club available at T1?

If this has already been discussed, apologies, I did search.

Last edited by Sally4th; Dec 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: QFF
US has to move at LHR anyway. T1 will start getting closed once the new T2 opens next year.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The timing of the LHR (and other) airport moves and shifts has not been announced yet. If US remains in T1 after March 31 when it joins Oneworld, there is a BA lounged in T1.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Sally4th
US Airways currently flies in and out of Terminal 1 and uses the Star Alliance or BMI lounges, AA Terminal 3 and has (Flagship and Admiral?)Lounges . I would assume all operations will move over and be consolidated at Terminal 3? Will this move be before US/AA leaves Start Alliance? Or will there be an alternate club available at T1?
As we already have a thread open discussing the terminal moves and consolidation that will undoubtedly come as a result of the merger, I've merged your post into that consolidated thread.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.