FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Airport / Terminal, Gate, Counter Change - Master Thread (Changes & Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1529163-airport-terminal-gate-counter-change-master-thread-changes-discussion.html)

miamigrad Dec 9, 2013 9:45 am

Airport / Terminal, Gate, Counter Change - Master Thread (Changes & Discussion)

This thread is dedicated to discussion of current/ongoing and future airport and terminal (including gates, ticket counters, etc.) changes for American Airlines and US Airways due to the merger of the two airlines.

Please feel free to amend the wikipost and add further changes. Any member with 90 days on FT and 90 posts can edit unlocked wikiposts. Note that Moderators are not charged with wiki maintenance. :)

Note: Admirals and US Clubs changes, closures, consolidations (including which of both might be best, at least in the interim, at one location) can be found here.

~ New American Forum Moderation Team

masonuc Dec 9, 2013 12:07 pm

Any news on DCA divestments?

Haven't heard a thing but the settlement made it seem like they would happen fast.

alanh Dec 9, 2013 1:10 pm

The Arizona Republic article from today says AA will move from T3 to T4 at PHX in February.

rajuabju Dec 9, 2013 1:59 pm

US Airways was moving out of T1 @ LAX... I assume now they will just operate out of T4 where AA is already the sole operator. I hope they refurb but doubt it.

ty97 Dec 9, 2013 3:14 pm

A thread in the Delta forum says that RDU is testing out moving Delta to the D gates, presumably to allow US to move closer to the AA gates.

Shareholder Dec 9, 2013 3:19 pm

Hoping there's enough space at the US terminal at LGA for AA to move in (shifting DL and any other airline into the main terminal). AA's facilities at LGA, particularly the regional pier, are atrocious. The terminal is a dump and there's no air side link between the two piers AA uses and only one Admirals Club. Of course US has already moved into the AA terminal at JFK. And an article in Saturday's Chicago Tribune noted that the new combined airline will exceed UA's domestic operations at ORD.

US will likely move from T1 to T3 at YYZ since AA started flying E170s that use standard gates. There will be enough gate space for US's PHL/CLT regional jets.

ty97 Dec 9, 2013 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 21934452)
Hoping there's enough space at the US terminal at LGA for AA to move in (shifting DL and any other airline into the main terminal).

US gave those gates to DL as part of the LGA/DCA slot swap. DL is in both Terminals C and D and is building (or has built) a connector between the two terminals, so DL isn't going anywhere.

The Central Terminal Building (Terminal B) that AA uses will be going somewhere, however, as redevelopment is set to start soon.

ElmhurstNick Dec 9, 2013 4:07 pm

At ORD, US currently uses four gates in Terminal 2: E7, F8, F10, F12. They are all a brisk walk from Terminal 3, but the walk can be done without leaving security. Folks who have been flying US into ORD on UA codeshares are used to the inter-terminal walk as most of UA leaves from Terminal 1.

Phoenixtinct Dec 9, 2013 4:26 pm

Gate alignment

At PHL, it seems that AA is in A-East but someone on the forum mentioned that AA has plans to move to Terminal D, where there is no US presence, so I think the wise thing to do will be to stay put at A-East.

At CLT, AA is in Concourse A and US has presence in all the rest with B, C and E for their exclusive use and D - dedicated to international flights. Not sure if US will have space in their concourses to move the AA gates out of concourse A. The new AA may have to occupy all concourses at CLT.

At MIA, it appears that US will be moving to concourses D and E where AA is.

At ORD, new AA had to divest 2 gates but they were specified to be AA gates in Terminal 3. I would have preferred to have 2 of the US gates at Terminal 2 divested and the additional US gate moved to Terminal 3 in Concourse L where Spirit/Alaska/JetBlue/Virgin America have gates and can have one or more of them move to Terminal 2. With AA having to divest one of their own gates, that means all 3 US gates from Terminal 2 would have to be swapped with one of the above carriers to make the move to Terminal 3 but US will be moving to Terminal 3 Concourse L.

I'm curious to see what happens at BOS - with so many gates between AA and US, it'd be interesting to see what role BOS will play in new AA's network. With its presence exceeding BOS' "home" airline JetBlue - I wonder what new AA will do with that - maybe offer more international flights?

At DFW, AA is in terminals A,B,C and D and US is in E, unless AA can have the US gates moved to any of the A, B or C terminals (space permitting), US may have to remain at Terminal E as Terminal D is international and no domestic carriers operate out of there, so no gate swap is possible.

At LAS, both AA and US are operating out of the D gates but not sure if they are adjacent to each other - even if no moves are possible, all D gates are easily accessible, so it shouldn't be an issue for connecting passengers (if any).

At EWR, both AA and US operate out of Terminal A and I believe the gates are in the same concourse and adjacent, so not much work required there.

At FLL, both US and AA are in Terminal 3, Concourse E, so not much needed there.

At DEN, US is in Concourse B and AA in Concourse A. AA cannot move to Concourse B as the rest is occupied by United, so US will have to move to Concourse A.

At SEA, US is in Concourse A and AA is in Concourse D. AA used to be in Concourse A but moved to D to make space for United, so now US will have to move to Concourse D.

At MSP, both AA and US are in Concourse E, so even if gates are separated, they are easily accessible.

At SLC, both AA and US are in Concourse A, so shouldn't be any issues there.

At ATL, AA is in Concourse T and US in Concourse D. United is split between both but they have an United Club in D, so maybe US can swap its D gates for United gates at T. AA has an Admirals Club in T, so common sense dictates they'd want to keep it.

At CLE, both AA and US are in Concourse A, so not much work needed there.

At MKE, AA is in Concourse C and US is in Concourse D. The rest of Concourse C is used by WN/FL, so no consolidation can happen there. Either, AA moves its gates to Concourse D where there are a lot of abandoned F9 gates (if possible) or both AA and US can move to Concourse E which is currently only occupied by United & AC.

At BDL, both AA and US gates are adjacent, so nothing needed there.

At BUF, AA can have United take over its gate 11, so that JetBlue can occupy United's Gate 10 and AA can co-locate next to US at JetBlue's Gate 7 next to the US Airways Club as well.

At PIT, US is by itself in Concourse B, while AA is in D. Unless US can accommodate the existing AA flights out of B or the airport decides to open a few more gates in B to have AA move there, AA's gates will probably remain in D, however, it's an easy access between B and D, so there should be no issues.

At SMF, US is in Terminal A and AA in Terminal B. It's possible that either one of them moves to the other terminal. Time will tell what they'll end up choosing.

At RNO, both AA and US are in Concourse C, so even if gates are not adjacent, that shouldn't be a problem.

At ONT, both AA and US operate out of Terminal 4, so no additional effort should be necessary.

At SAN, AA is in Terminal 2 East and US is in Terminal 2 West. Considering AA has an Admiral's Club in 2 East, it would be wise for US to move there.

At SNA, AA is in Terminal A and US in Terminal B. AA has and Admiral's Club there, so my guess is US will be swapping gate/gates with either AS or DL.

At SJC, both AA and US are in Terminal A, so unless gates are not adjacent, no further work should be needed.

At BWI, AA is in Concourse C and US in Concourse D. If Spirit's gate space is enough for US to move into, then AA can consolidate in C, the rest of C is occupied by Southwest/AirTran. Otherwise, if AA can fit into JetBlue's gate space in D, they can move there and consolidate in D. Those are the only 2 options I see.

At SFO, US is in Terminal 1 and AA in Terminal 2. With Terminal 2 being nicer than 1 and having an Admiral's Club, the logical choice would be a move to Terminal 2 if the 14 gates there are sufficient for the joint AA/US and VX operation. Otherwise, a shuffle at Terminal 1 may be possible.

At PBI, AA is in Concourse C and US in Concourse B. US can swap with AC and/or DL and consolidate in C or have AA swap gates with United and consolidate in B.

At TPA, both AA and US are in F, so no consolidation necessary.

At RDU, American is in Concourse C and US in Concourse D. Their gates are at opposite ends of each other. Thus, the best solution is for AA to swap gates with UA and AC and have the entire Concourse D to themselves.

At MCI, AA is in Terminal C and US in Terminal A - new AA can consolidate in Terminal C.

Life_Platinum Dec 9, 2013 4:35 pm

U.S. Air moved into the AA terminal (8) about 2 months ago.

Crazyhotelguy Dec 9, 2013 5:43 pm

Would love to see a club return to MCO

carlosdca Dec 9, 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct (Post 21934875)
At SAN, AA is in Terminal 2 East and US is in Terminal 2 West. Considering AA has an Admiral's Club in 2 East, it would be wise for US to move there.

US has gates 34, 35, 42, IIRC.

http://www.san.org/maps/TempSANTerminalMaps.pdf

34 and 35 are very close to T2East, I don't see why they would want to give those up. And they are of the nicest gates in T2, I wonder if they still have the rocker chairs.

And I think 33 is already AA's.

42 is indeed too far away. T2 East and West is all airside connected though.

Fanjet Dec 9, 2013 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 21935284)
US has gates 34, 35, 42, IIRC.
34 and 35 are very close to T2East, I don't see why they would want to give those up. And they are of the nicest gates in T2, I wonder if they still have the rocker chairs.

US's gates are probably closer to the AC than most of AA's gates at SAN. However, the check-in counters couldn't be further apart. I just wish the airport would allow AE to operate out of T2 instead of the commuter terminal.

jsieds Dec 9, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct (Post 21934875)
At PHL....

I'm curious to see what happens at BOS - with so many gates between AA and US, it'd be interesting to see what role BOS will play in new AA's network. With its presence exceeding BOS' "home" airline JetBlue - I wonder what new AA will do with that - maybe offer more international flights?...

At MCI...

1. Thank you for such a comprehensive list.
2. BOS - Terminal B gates will be connected sometime in 2014 as Massport completes current construction. International arrivals arrive in terminal E (unless there is passport control at the originating airport). More international flights are welcomed by me.
3. DCA - Gates will remain in C terminal North pier exclusively US/AA, center pier US/AA and others. Please renovate the US club in north pier and combine US and AA club in center pier.

MrMan Dec 9, 2013 6:52 pm

The only for sure is there are now two gates at DAL AA has been paying rent on since the 70's that are ripe for the picking.