Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
heyeaglefn, do you have a link to the AA Twitter post?
Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP

That sort of contradicts their email to us: "We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015. That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your million mile balances and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs."

Have to love AA's last reply, such snark: https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/stat...88246876381185
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by grapkoski
That sort of contradicts their email to us: "We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015. That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your million mile balances and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs."

Have to love AA's last reply, such snark: https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/stat...88246876381185
Yes, snarky. That tweet was a direct reply to the email they sent out as they posted a link to it on twitter, then that reply came. They didn't make it clear so I think some people are going to be mad when they figure it out.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtremit
If we really do get less than zero input, then presumably they'll do the opposite of whatever we claim we want, right? Seems like a productive angle to work...
Could be.
That is more or less how United went about their changes...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Segments
Not sure why BA tier structure is relevant. The consistent message we have heard is that the new program will have wins and loses from each of the pm programs.

Your proposal would be a messy matrix... A US Elite who earns on status may reach 100 segments but less than 100,000 PQM ... That would qualify as US Plt but match to AA Exec Plt.
-And, of course, FF programs reserve the rights to change anytime.
However, if one is looking for consistency, the re-qualification rules for AA and US programs have been published long time ago. The new AA never promised to combine 2014 balances for the tier qualification. Some of us already re-qualified and are expected to get all the promised benefits in 2015. I would not be surprised if for 2015:
1) The tier and the benefits will remain the same as earned in the individual programs. I.e., US Platinum will still be getting 75% mile bonus.
2) Upgrade policies continue as implemented today.
3) Mile balances will be combined in 2015 and the tier for 2016 will be based on combined miles yearned in 2015.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I find that hard to believe. If only for 1 reason - AAdvantage has 3 elite tiers and US DM has 4. It was already announced that US DM will be merged with AAdvantage in 2015, so no changes are unlikely. And that's ignoring all other aspects of the programs, i. e. one-way awards with AAdvantage but only round-trip with US DM, etc.

When the latest award levels were announced - especially for US DM members, it was explained with the reason to allign better with the AAdvantage program. So, that's what I expect - have both programs be practically identical but differ in name only before they fold US DM into AAdvantage.

What your statement implies is that AAdvtange will continue as 3 tiers and it doesn't explain what will happen to US Platinums when they are merged into Aadvantage.
They are not merging the programs at the moment so this is not an issue. Recall Delta & NW and UA & CO. They did not merge their FF programs immediately.

I don't know if DM is being folded into AAdvantage in 2015, but i know for sure that the current AAdvantage program is not changing in 2015. There might be small little changes like awards or whatever on par of what we seen today, but no sweeping changes. The program and the way you earn miles will stay the same at least until 2016. And quite honestly, US doesn't even have that many elite members, you're talking about the smallest of the 4 major mainline carriers. (not counting WN).

Quite honestly AA/US has bigger problems to deal with during their merger than the loyalty programs (such as system integration, which must be completed before any merging of FF programs takes place).

<redacted>.

What is likely: SOMETIME in 2015, you will be given the option for DM members to transfer their miles or whatever over to an AAdvantage account, but i dont think any forced merger will happen yet.

Last edited by Col Ronson; Jul 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: was AAExecutive Platinum
AA Advantage No Longer Cares

A lot has been written about all of the recent changes to the advantage program. Let us all face facts and the new reality. American does not care about the good old days of mileage bonuses, elite status bonus programs, upgrades etc.The new ownership is only concerned with profits and paychecks. Compare the mileage bonus programs more than a year ago and now and see less than half and only with higher revenue tickets, no elite bonus mileage programs at all, and I suspect a lot fewer elite qualifiers. Sure, the few who do qualify are happy because the competition for upgrades are easier and I suspect that they will be the ones responding to this note by suggesting we all switch to UA. That is not the answer for most of us. I know that I am now flying other airlines and using up my mileage before they devalue the miles further. I told everyone a while ago the mileage changes are coming and anyone trying to book mileage tickets can already see subtle changes. Has anyone tried to get 2 first or business mileage saver tickets on the same plane to Europe lately? Good luck getting 2 tickets on different planes on the same day.The advantage world is changing. Use your miles before it is too late. Vote with your dollars and use other airlines until American changes their approach. I am not hopeful they will see the light because frankly, they do not care... yet! FORGET "THE NEW AMERICAN"! The old American was just fine with me!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
People need to stop living in the past. The dynamics of the industry have dramatically changed from "the good ol' days". For starters, oil is trading at about 4-5X as much as it was back then. Banks have used FF programs to generate their profit revenues-- and please, don't act as though none of us haven't taken advantage of the mega-bonus CC offers. More people with higher FF balances does not equal more FF seats being available for redemption. Add on top of that the population increases of this country; and thus, more people flying and being members of FF programs. Welcome to the new reality!!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
People need to stop living in the past. The dynamics of the industry have dramatically changed from "the good ol' days". For starters, oil is trading at about 4-5X as much as it was back then. Banks have used FF programs to generate their profit revenues-- and please, don't act as though none of us haven't taken advantage of the mega-bonus CC offers. More people with higher FF balances does not equal more FF seats being available for redemption. Add on top of that the population increases of this country; and thus, more people flying and being members of FF programs. Welcome to the new reality!!
Ah yes, the mantra of the pro merger brigade: "get over yourselves this is how it is now".

It's not just award seats that's the problem with the "New AA" and you can't blame population increase and CC bonus for all the other 'enhancements' we've been seeing.

Before the merger the pro brigade were telling all and sundry that the naysayers were getting far too worked up about DP and what he may do if he took control. Now that we're seeing the 'enhancements' get announced (you've got to love 10 across in MCE on 777-200s!) we're either being told (effectively) to 'get over ourselves' or that 'all of these changes would have happened anyway' (and there's little evidence for the latter).

Last edited by Stripy; Jul 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Stripy

Before the merger the pro brigade were telling all and sundry that the naysayers were getting far too worked up about DP and what he may do if he took control. Now that we're seeing the 'enhancements' get announced (you've got to love 10 across in MCE on 777-200s!) we're either being told (effectively) to 'get over ourselves' or that 'all of these changes would have happened anyway' (and there's little evidence for the latter).
Maybe Parker got the idea of 10-across MCE seating in the 772s from Horton's idea of doing for Y- in the 773s. Just a thought. Here's hoping that he doesn't warm up to the idea of converting the US 319s to Horton's 319 configuration. And btw, that's what I'm basing the "this would have happened anyway" on.

Oh! And I forgot to mention... the newly re-configured 763s... they have one less row of MCE on them. Consider that Horton's "Farewell Gift" to his beloved AAdvantage elites.

Last edited by Fanjet; Jul 13, 2014 at 12:28 am
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Guys 10-across MCE 772 seating was posted on a single blog site. Unless it comes from an AA source, i'm holding my judgment.

And quite honestly, 80% of passengers aren't going to care about 10-across seating on a 777. All the airlines that do it are still enjoying hefty load factors and profits. AA's 77Ws in the main cabin at 10-across are flying out full, so its not like people are avoiding it. Sure it sucks, but hey whatever.

And quite honestly, considering the traffic on these 772 routes (mostly asian tourists, while the businessmen still fly in business/first), i dont blame them. These asian tourists book with a travel company and just pick the cheapest option.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:32 am

Maybe Parker got the idea of 10-across MCE seating in the 772s from Horton's idea of doing for Y- in the 773s. Just a thought.
So you're suggesting that because Horton crammed more people into Y- on the 773s (while giving elites a decent number of MCE seats with 9 across seating) it's his fault that DP has screwed over elites in MCE on the 772s? How does that work? Horton didn't screw elites over on the 773s while DP did on the 772s it's really quite simple.

Oh! And I forgot to mention... the newly re-configured 763s... they have one less row of MCE on them. Consider that Horton's "Farewell Gift" to his beloved AAdvantage elites.
One less row isn't great...true, but that's not the same as making ALL rows terrible is it? I'll take one less row of MCE on the 772s and keep 9 across thanks!

No matter how you spin it (and I admire your efforts!) Horton didn't really screw elites over nor did he show that much inclination to. DP, on the other hand, has only just started wielding his scythe and already it isn't nice.

Last edited by Stripy; Jul 13, 2014 at 9:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by huteshab16
Let us all face facts and the new reality
When making such a "big picture" statement, don't limit it to AA.

Speak to elites from any major US carrier, and they will raise the same concerns. The reason? Airlines are enjoying a period of increased fares, high load factors and relatively stable fuel costs - something they have not seen in a VERY long time. no reason to offer incentives. The current exceptions are AS and DL, who are battling for market share in SEA, SLC. You can be sure that during the next economic downturn, the bonus mile promotions will be back.

The other reality is that the majority of US consumers (including employers who pay the bills for their traveling staff) are willing to put up with increasing levels of inconvenience to save money. Sure, they will whine and complain, but given the choice, will take a perceived great deal over comfort. NK is the textbook example, where customer go back, even after a bad experience if the price is right.

Just prior to the merger, Parker and Kirby found the threshold of pain for HP/US customers, demonstrated their ability to listen, pulled back to avoid alienating both kettles and elites. This leads me to believe that they will test our patience, but when push comes to shove, avoid crossing lines that will drive us to the competition. UA's self destructive race to the bottom, DL's further degradation of the Sky Pesos program unfortunately give Parker and Kirby more latitude to experiment.

Welcome to the Walmartinization of the US airline industry. It is naive to believe AA would be immune, regardless of who is calling the shots.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by diver858
When making such a "big picture" statement, don't limit it to AA.

Speak to elites from any major US carrier, and they will raise the same concerns. The reason? Airlines are enjoying a period of increased fares, high load factors and relatively stable fuel costs - something they have not seen in a VERY long time. no reason to offer incentives. The current exceptions are AS and DL, who are battling for market share in SEA, SLC. You can be sure that during the next economic downturn, the bonus mile promotions will be back.

The other reality is that the majority of US consumers (including employers who pay the bills for their traveling staff) are willing to put up with increasing levels of inconvenience to save money. Sure, they will whine and complain, but given the choice, will take a perceived great deal over comfort. NK is the textbook example, where customer go back, even after a bad experience if the price is right.

Just prior to the merger, Parker and Kirby found the threshold of pain for HP/US customers, demonstrated their ability to listen, pulled back to avoid alienating both kettles and elites. This leads me to believe that they will test our patience, but when push comes to shove, avoid crossing lines that will drive us to the competition. UA's self destructive race to the bottom, DL's further degradation of the Sky Pesos program unfortunately give Parker and Kirby more latitude to experiment.

Welcome to the Walmartinization of the US airline industry. It is naive to believe AA would be immune, regardless of who is calling the shots.
Best summation of the new reality in this thread, IMHO.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
And quite honestly, 80% of passengers aren't going to care about 10-across seating on a 777. All the airlines that do it are still enjoying hefty load factors and profits. AA's 77Ws in the main cabin at 10-across are flying out full, so its not like people are avoiding it. Sure it sucks, but hey whatever.
AA has 10-across on their 77W for over 1 year now. But UA and DL still have 9-across seating in Y on their 777s, and don't appear to have any plans to switch to 10-across. If most passengers don't care, why aren't UA and DL changing to 10-across to take advantage of more revenue potential?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.