Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

What’s next

We plan to bring current Dividend Miles accounts into the AAdvantage program in 2015
(date as yet unspecified - JD). That means we will combine your award mileage balances, your Million Miler™ balances, and your elite-qualifying activity from both programs. In the meantime, continue to book travel and earn miles as you normally would. We will follow up with you when we begin the process of integrating accounts, but rest assured your miles and elite status are safe as we work to combine the two programs.

It will take some time to fully integrate our loyalty programs, including everything from the systems that support them to bringing our terms and conditions in line with one another. We will be sure to keep you updated as changes occur
Print Wikipost

Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by flyer121
award travel will require many many more miles.
+1 - that's a safe bet, as well as higher ticket prices and a downgrade in customer service.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:30 am

New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Speculation Discussion)

I know it is speculation, but here goes: I am about 150 miles short of keep status with US after my mileage run this week. I called US and they basically said don't worry about it, they would "almost" certainly retain my level with such a small mileage shortage. Is AA usually similar in this way? Also/or will the programs still be separate this year (early 2014) when these decisions are made?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Park3755
I know it is speculation, but here goes: I am about 150 miles short of keep status with US after my mileage run this week. I called US and they basically said don't worry about it, they would "almost" certainly retain my level with such a small mileage shortage. Is AA usually similar in this way?
AA have a similar policy, similarly unwritten, with a similar level of risk involved in testing the waters to see if it works.

Also/or will the programs still be separate this year (early 2014) when these decisions are made?
It's fair to say that the new FFP will not be in place during CY14; if I were a gambling man I'd wager that it will be in place starting 1/1/15 (Europeans and North Americans can all get behind a date like that).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
I just pray that the new AA will keep US's current policy for the "Same Day Confirmed" program (ability to confirm a move up to an earlier flight in the day) of waiving the fee for elites. That has been one of the absolute best benefits I've had as a DM member.

I believe AA charges $75 for this, even for elites?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I just pray that the new AA will keep US's current policy for the "Same Day Confirmed" program (ability to confirm a move up to an earlier flight in the day) of waiving the fee for elites. That has been one of the absolute best benefits I've had as a DM member.

Yes, AA only gives elites free standby, but it offers it to ALL elites, Gold through EXP and Ruby through Emerald.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1k; MR Platinum; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Rus925
I want the Milano cookies from the US Clubs.
I think we have Milano cookies? Am I dreaming?

I think the Admirals Club LHR and Flagship Lounge LHR have Milano and Walkers cookies.

Flagship Lounge JFK/LAX/ORD all have fresh baked cookies in the afternoon through evening I believe (someone correct me on the hours if I'm wrong?)

*Just thought it was impt that we address the very real and serious concerns of the merger that are at the top of everyone's mind --> cookies.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: AS 100K

Correct, though you can standby for free. If you have EF access and can see E space for the flight you want to change to, it will likely happen. Many AAngels will just confirm you onto that flight regardless.

Having said that, I like the inability to confirm flight changes for free. Over at UA, it creates A LOT of confusion w/r/t the upgrade list, both for GAs and customers. You've got people jockeying for better upgrade positions just because their original flight ran out of u/g space, so the significant number of people on the list might suddenly get placed one or two spots lower because some GS or 1K is suddenly on the list when they weren't before.

AA's option makes more sense to me because a) it's a significant source of revenue and b) if you want to change flights, you have to REALLY want to change flights, reflective of your desire to spend $75 on it.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:13 am

Waved for EXP.

Think there might be a fee for Gold/Plat - I think that might be new, as I don't remember ever paying when I was at those levels.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WhatsInYourBackpack
*Just thought it was impt that we address the very real and serious concerns of the merger that are at the top of everyone's mind --> cookies.
I own stock in the airline and cookies and booze are pretty much the only parts of the merger I care about. Call it the carb theory: offer great sources of carbs, and the profits will follow. Just look at Italy's economy!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Rus925
I own stock in the airline and cookies and booze are pretty much the only parts of the merger I care about. Call it the carb theory: offer great sources of carbs, and the profits will follow. Just look at Italy's economy!
If only Alitalia would start serving dishes inspired by its home country, they wouldn't be burning through cash like it is going out of style.

That means on a related note we should be addressing those terrible giant chocolate chip cookies they have for sale on the AA flights. Have they changed those yet? Would it kill them to source a better chocolate chip cookie to sell?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:27 am

That means on a related note we should be addressing those terrible giant chocolate chip cookies they have for sale on the AA flights. Have they changed those yet? Would it kill them to source a better chocolate chip cookie to sell?
Haha! I've never actually had one. The flight attendants wouldn't sell it to me. They always told me to go for, well, anything else. I'm sure they'll figure it out soon enough. Pretty sad that Chef Samuelsson is being outdone by the Pillsbury Doughboy in the cookie department.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Waved for EXP.

Think there might be a fee for Gold/Plat - I think that might be new, as I don't remember ever paying when I was at those levels.
Are you sure? I'm not talking about same day standby, I'm talking about making a same day confirmed change. Unless something has changed in the past couple months, I'm almost positive this was $75, and not waived, even for EXP.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Are you sure? I'm not talking about same day standby, I'm talking about making a same day confirmed change. Unless something has changed in the past couple months, I'm almost positive this was $75, and not waived, even for EXP.
You are correct - AA charges EXP $75 fee for confirmed change within 24 hours of departure of original flight. I know - I have paid it this year.

Only the standby at the gate change is free for EXP - and then this really only works on a nonstop flight.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
People keep talking about the multiple bankruptcies by US Airways...that was prior to the merger with HP (purchase by HP). This was not the leadership team during those bankruptcies. The HP team took over and has done a very good job. Just like in this merger, they are keeping the most recognized name.

In 1 week I will be back to Chairman's on US (Platinum or Chairman's for 5 years now).

I think we need to wait and see what is officially announced before declaring what will and won't be.

Personally, if I were to lose the ability to have unlimited space available upgrades and the ability to move to an earlier flight, I'll seriously consider jumping to Delta (heck, even for non-preferred, it's only $50 for a same day earlier confirmed flight).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Here's a question: If they move from the current AA elite tier scheme (GLD, PLT, EXP) and, say, go to one that combines the two (SLV, GLD, PLT, EXP), then what happens to the LT GLD and PLT members? IIRC, the welcome letter stated that I'd be GLD for life, not that I'd have entry-level status for life. Would that mean that all the LT GLD members would now have tier-two status? Or will this be seen as an opportunity to screw LT members by somehow changing the program enough to be able to say "the 'life' of the AAdvantage Gold program" (wording used in the letter) is over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.