Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
for AA awards, you can only book US - Asian region 2 via the pacific.
Qatar is good for ex-US to indian subcontinent though.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ward-chart.jsp
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Couldn't it be booked as two separate awards but still on the same ticket & PNR?

PHL - DOH would be US - Middle East (Transatlantic)
DOH - BKK would be Middle East - Asia 2
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:53 pm

Some variant of this question gets asked every few days or weeks. It is clearly stated in the AAdvantage rules, which you can read online, that USA to Asia 2 (which includes BKK) may only be flown transpacific on a single award. You CAN book this on QR, but only as two awards, PHL-DOH and DOH-BKK. It costs more miles, obviously.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Some variant of this question gets asked every few days or weeks. It is clearly stated in the AAdvantage rules, which you can read online, that USA to Asia 2 (which includes BKK) may only be flown transpacific on a single award. You CAN book this on QR, but only as two awards, PHL-DOH and DOH-BKK. It costs more miles, obviously.
The OP reported not being able to book those flights at all, not that he could book them as two awards. <redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2018 at 12:09 am Reason: Too personal and intent interpreted
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SamOF
The OP reported not being able to book those flights at all, not that he could book them as two awards. <redacted>
I think the OP means as 1 award. "not able to do that routing" to me sounds like 1 ticket vs 2.

It is definitely doable with 2 awards.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2018 at 12:10 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
<redacted> OP might not want to pay 110k miles to go PHL-BKK via DOH when it only costs 70k to fly even more BIS miles to go, say, PHL-LAX-HKG-BKK on AA/CX.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 25, 2018 at 12:11 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:09 pm

Has anyone noticed that Qatar F award seats seems to be pretty much gone these days? I'd seen that they aren't releasing F seats on the LHR route, but I don't see availability on other routes either.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:47 pm

no availability after June 19, 2019

BA is showing zero availability out of DOH to any city starting June 20, 2019...i called up AA the other day as they can finally see up to at least June 20 and the rep confirmed she wasn't seeing anything. very strange since every day up to June 19, 2019 is showing multiple seats. anybody have an insight to what is going on? fare code change seems unlikely as XXX-DOH is still available after the date.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Kyle Shipps
BA is showing zero availability out of DOH to any city starting June 20, 2019...i called up AA the other day as they can finally see up to at least June 20 and the rep confirmed she wasn't seeing anything. very strange since every day up to June 19, 2019 is showing multiple seats. anybody have an insight to what is going on? fare code change seems unlikely as XXX-DOH is still available after the date.
I have no idea as to what is going on but I can concur that QR award availability started disappearing on or about that date.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kyle Shipps
June 20 is right at the 331 day mark so I would just give it a day or two and see if flights are loaded.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
June 20 is right at the 331 day mark so I would just give it a day or two and see if flights are loaded.
QR awards have been available on BA and QF to 350 days out for a while. I suspect something else is going on. But we will see.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

Hello All,

I am trying to redeem AAdvantage miles on Qatar Airways for business class. The US segment to Doha is available but not DOH-HYD or DOH-BOM. I have read few messages on it but I would appreciate those who are current on this aspect and can guide me how to proceed to get it. I am planning to fly mid August.

Thanks
Arvind
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: US Airways DM Silver, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by arav_m
Hello All,

I am trying to redeem AAdvantage miles on Qatar Airways for business class. The US segment to Doha is available but not DOH-HYD or DOH-BOM. I have read few messages on it but I would appreciate those who are current on this aspect and can guide me how to proceed to get it. I am planning to fly mid August.

Thanks
Arvind
I had a similar challenge as you have, was able to book US-DOH, but not DOH-India due to non-availability of any seats on that portion of my trip. I ended up booking DOH-CMB-India for the dates I wanted, which are also in August. However, I did my bookings in May, whereas you're looking now to book for August. If the CMB route is not possible, I'm not sure if you will have any other options. Your only hope is for QR to release seats as you get closer to the travel date. Otherwise you may have to buy that leg using $$.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
Trying to book JFK/DOH/KUL for later this year.
Availability is ok according to BA's site.
Are layovers allowed in DOH? Or do they need to be ticketed as 2 differente itineraries?
I want to spend a couple of days in DOH and then continue to KUL.
Also, what are typical imposed charges?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pdcarg77
Trying to book JFK/DOH/KUL for later this year.
Availability is ok according to BA's site.
Are layovers allowed in DOH? Or do they need to be ticketed as 2 differente itineraries?
I want to spend a couple of days in DOH and then continue to KUL.
Also, what are typical imposed charges?
You can book it as a through itinerary and will be charged for 2 awards ( USA-Middle East and Middle East to Asia 2)

There are no carrier surcharges for awards on QR

There will be some taxes - this can be checked using a pricing tool such as ITA
pdcarg77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.