Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
Even with staff on the ground, there isn't much they can do. One, the ticket isn't valid from QR's side and two, in general QR staff don't handle anything out of the ordinary well.

I ran into this in CMB with my SO's ticket. Fortunately, we arrived 4+ hours in advance and the manager was proactive and willing to help us. Called AA and got it sorted.

For future, prior to travel, ensure that the ticket number on the AA ticket/PNR and QR PNR match. If they don't, call AA and have them reissue the ticket (keep an eye on baggage as well).
Frustrating for sure, but I am not sure why these staff can't handle it. This happened to me at JRO, where they are definitely local contract staff, and once I confirmed with AA the updated ticket number, the supervisor knew exactly what was going on, and was able to fix it.

It's not that AA's ticket, as it exists in AA's system, is invalid from QR's side. It's that they don't actually have the updated ticket attached to the flight. The flight coupons that the check-in staff have in their system, that essentially correspond to the boarding passes they issue, are still attached to the old AA ticket, which is indeed invalid.

They have to delete the old AA ticket number from the flight coupons/checkin record (which will result in flight coupons without any ticket attached), and then enter the new, valid ticket number attaching it to the coupon. This will pretty much immediately register, and they should be able to check the passenger in and issue the boarding pass. It's actually not a difficult process, but just requires someone who understands what is happening and likely has done it before.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Frustrating for sure, but I am not sure why these staff can't handle it. This happened to me at JRO, where they are definitely local contract staff, and once I confirmed with AA the updated ticket number, the supervisor knew exactly what was going on, and was able to fix it.

It's not that AA's ticket, as it exists in AA's system, is invalid from QR's side. It's that they don't actually have the updated ticket attached to the flight. The flight coupons that the check-in staff have in their system, that essentially correspond to the boarding passes they issue, are still attached to the old AA ticket, which is indeed invalid.

They have to delete the old AA ticket number from the flight coupons/checkin record (which will result in flight coupons without any ticket attached), and then enter the new, valid ticket number attaching it to the coupon. This will pretty much immediately register, and they should be able to check the passenger in and issue the boarding pass. It's actually not a difficult process, but just requires someone who understands what is happening and likely has done it before.
Right - that was my experience as well. Once AA gave me the correct ticket number, QR was able to get it sorted very quickly.

My point about handling it was more general in regard to QR. They're 9/10 or better on normal ops and 2/10 when stuff goes sideways. In CMB, the guy checking me in just kept repeating "you dont have a ticket"; words that were meaningless to me given I was holding a QR printout, an AA printout and had checked in. Only after the station manager came over and looked into it, he was able to explain that the ticket number QR had was not the one AA had issued with the change. This helped me understand the issue and then communicate to AA exactly what the issue was and what needed to be done. Had my SO been flying solo, she would have likely missed the flight.
DMPHL and brodielayne like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Right - that was my experience as well. Once AA gave me the correct ticket number, QR was able to get it sorted very quickly.

My point about handling it was more general in regard to QR. They're 9/10 or better on normal ops and 2/10 when stuff goes sideways. In CMB, the guy checking me in just kept repeating "you dont have a ticket"; words that were meaningless to me given I was holding a QR printout, an AA printout and had checked in. Only after the station manager came over and looked into it, he was able to explain that the ticket number QR had was not the one AA had issued with the change. This helped me understand the issue and then communicate to AA exactly what the issue was and what needed to be done. Had my SO been flying solo, she would have likely missed the flight.
I appreciate you sharing your insight. I was stranded in Greece due to an Italian ATC strike, needing to get back home to the US with very limited options. I found flights on QR departing within a couple hours, and they cancelled them as they flagged my transaction as fraud. Their phone agents could care less, and had it not been for a stash of SA points I would have been f'd. EK was my original flight and they could care less as well. It's sad how both airlines are widely promoted for the experience, however both suck when things go wrong. It's important that a traveler knows how to navigate and articulate in order to get results.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much less could they care?
The airline you were booked on was responsible for getting you to your destination - with a strike the options would seem likely to be limited, but EK would have got you there
If the system was refusing a booking due to suspected fraud, what would you have expected the airline staff to do?

If there is a strike that stops flights operating, there are hundreds of impacted passengers that they have to handle.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How much less could they care?
The airline you were booked on was responsible for getting you to your destination - with a strike the options would seem likely to be limited, but EK would have got you there
If the system was refusing a booking due to suspected fraud, what would you have expected the airline staff to do?

If there is a strike that stops flights operating, there are hundreds of impacted passengers that they have to handle.
EK flight ATH-EWR had room and they wouldn’t move me!
As far as the fraud, I called and was able to confirm it was me who made the transaction, however they told me I had to wait for my miles to reinstate, which of course happened after the flight departed.
Back to the regular scheduled program folks.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
no
Checking QA's internal award inventory was helpful. I was able to book a flight from Europe to DOH and another from DOH to Europe in 2025 at the 42.5 rate. If QA had it listed as their safe award rate, the transaction went through. There was definitely a bit of phantom award availability that made it really frustrating, but it also wouldn't show on QA. YMMV.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:37 am

Best way to book AA award travel on QR

Apologies if this belongs in an existing thread, I can’t locate the proper one.

I am interested in booking a vacation to Seychelles using AA miles or SWUs. It looks like the touring would be on QR via DFW or ORD (then DOH). What is the best way to achieve this? When I search on AA.com, no business class options come up for award travel.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer16

I am interested in booking a vacation to Seychelles using AA miles or SWUs. It looks like the touring would be on QR via DFW or ORD (then DOH). What is the best way to achieve this? When I search on AA.com, no business class options come up for award travel.
In order to get an award involving both AA and QR, QR has to make its flights available to AA, and all of the AA connecting flights would have to have inventory available at the old "SAAver" level.

Perhaps check availability not from your home airport, but instead from one of QR's North American gateways. If you find something suitable, you can then consider booking a separate ticket -- for either cash or miles -- to the QR gateway with availability. Just call AA to book everything simultaneously and have both tickets put on a single PNR so that you can through-check any baggage, and be protected in the event of IROPS.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Seats from QR are released (if they are released) to AA 331 days out. You may or may not find any inventory for AA points. They also my release seats within a few weeks of travel.

Best to be flexible, and perform your searches from QR-"hubs" in the US, if you find them, put on hold, then call AA to ticket (and add on if possible a positioning flight).

US Airports: DFW, MIA, ATL, JFK, ORD, BOS, IAD

Additional information here:
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Mar 22, 2024 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WannaTheater

US Airports: DFW, MIA, ATL, JFK, ORD, BOS, IAD
There are more, no? From a previous search QR flights to SEA, LAX, SFO and IAH come to mind.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I see SFO and PHL for recent QR revenue flights. I think PHL is a newer destination, that’s said “pending approval” pretty recently.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer16

Business class award space on QR is very hard to find. It is not surprising at all that you didn't find anything, if only it were as easy as merely searching your preferred dates and booking it. As everyone has mentioned you need to expand your search to include all QR gateways and be very flexible with dates.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I see SFO and PHL for recent QR revenue flights. I think PHL is a newer destination, that’s said “pending approval” pretty recently.
QR does not serve PHL any more, PHL-DOH service was moved to AA.

And don't forget about YUL.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
There are more, no? From a previous search QR flights to SEA, LAX, SFO and IAH come to mind.
Yes- thanks for pointing that out. I am out of the ease coast, and forgot to mention SEA, LAX, SFO. Didn't know about IAH.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Mar 22, 2024 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:24 pm

AA award on QR process?

Can someone please remind me of the process for booking on QR using AA award miles? I did it 8 years ago and recall some glitches, but cannot recall what they were.

I plan on gifting a trip from MNL to Europe to a grad student in the fall, and am wondering about the time lag between booking and confirmation. I recall its 24 hours or more? And, once the ticket is booked (I assume that means a QR PNR is generated?) can the student then manage seats etc with the PNR? Or are there other steps?

And I checked and award seats are available.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by SixMileMtn
Can someone please remind me of the process for booking on QR using AA award miles? I did it 8 years ago and recall some glitches, but cannot recall what they were.

I plan on gifting a trip from MNL to Europe to a grad student in the fall, and am wondering about the time lag between booking and confirmation. I recall its 24 hours or more? And, once the ticket is booked (I assume that means a QR PNR is generated?) can the student then manage seats etc with the PNR? Or are there other steps?

And I checked and award seats are available.
If you see the award availability on the AA website, I would place it on hold. Then, call in and have an agent issue the ticket. Be sure to ask the agent to ensure that the correct baggage allowance is on the ticket. Many people lately are having issues with award tickets being issued with no baggage allowance (just happened to me too - verify it in the email they send you and check the QR website). There's a whole thread dedicated to that issue. With regard to how long it takes the tickets to actually get issued, in my experience it has been 1-2 days with QR. Yes, once there is a QR PNR, the traveler should be able to manage seats on own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.