Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Covid-19 Update:
  • Sapphire+ status pax are temporarily allowed to use the Al Mourjan Business Lounge
  • Only tickets issued on QR 157 stock are eligible for the Extending Our Commitment (EOC) rebooking policy
link to QR Travel Alerts)

For further information on AA awards see:

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion

and

AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on)

N.B. Upgrades on QR book into fares not granted EQD/EQM by AA. If you're upgraded on QR, be prepared for pushback from some AA agents. You may have to submit a formal request with accompanying documentation reflecting you purchased an eligible fare class.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
If you experience difficulties with the AA reservations system, you may be able to book by calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (South African agency Mindpearl) - as they can often see the inventory more reliably, and you can book.

NOTE: USA Canada travel on QR will earn EQ miles etc. in accordance with the fare class purchased.

Links:

Link to AA.com Qatar miles earning etc.

AA miles earning on QR changed 1 May 2016 (Link):

Minimum miles guarantee applies.

Checking QR award availability:

You can check QR availability on AA's site, BA's site, QF's site, www.awardnexus.com (which pulls from BA and/or QF), or the KVS tool. (A certain number of searches are free to FlyerTalk members at AwardNexus; click the "more signup options" link under the green Purchase button to sign up as a FlyerTalk member.)

When checking QR award availability, you have to check each segment individually. Both BA and QF can generate very misleading information if you try to check QR award availability all the way through [xxx-(DOH)-yyy] in one step. Be aware AA can only book 330 days out, even if you see availability farther out.

Awards on QR may not be visible to AA agents if a multi-segment itinerary is requested; broken into individual segments will generally reveal availability, however.

As well, AA Australia or New Zealand (actually MindPearl in Fiji) can often see and book AA awards on QR US-based ones might not be able to.

From danger: For AA awards, Economy is X, Business is U, First is Z. NOTE: Those with Z (First) awards may see "Z (Business Class)" shown on the QR website; this is a known glitch.

As well, QR sells intra gulf two class service as First and Economy, as AA does domestically. This can cause some issues with a Business flight including a Gulf "First" flight potentially incurring an F award redemption.

From hotelmotel: "Got my QR PNR from AA. Popped over to QR and selected seats." (AAdvantage award.)

Days of the week: To/from the USA, especially in business class, Qatar often only offers awards seats for Mon..Thu departures, not Fri..Sun departures. So makes sure you check different parts of the week, and not just always weekends (if you're not finding anything on weekends).

NOTE: At DOH / Hamad International Airport, lounges as follows:

Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying First Class on Qatar or oneworld airlines and QRPC Platniums flying in ticketed Business (not oneworld Emeralds flying other lower classes of service)

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Lounge (not a oneworld lounge): only accessible to those flying Business Class on Qatar or oneworld (not oneworld Sapphire flying lower classes of service)

Oryx Lounge: Third party lounge.

Qatar Airways HIA First Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First Class ticketed customers, Emerald members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Qatar Airways HIA Business Class Lounge (oneworld lounge): First and Business Class ticketed customers, Emerald and Sapphire members, as well as their accompanying guests, travelling on Qatar Airways and other oneworld member flights.

Arrivals Lounges (not oneworld lounges): only accessible to those arriving in First or Business Class on Qatar Airways (not oneworld Sapphire flying other oneworld airlines or other classes of service)

See FT: QR Lounges at HIA

Selecting Qatar Airways Seats
If you want to assign a seat after booking an award, you should first try the Qatar website or app. If you experience issues, please try a partner site like Royal Jordanian, Malaysia Airlines, or Sri-Lankan. You can also reach out to the QR Twitter team to fix your record in order to be able to select seats on their own site.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, Bonvoy Titanium / LT PLT
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
This contradicts what some travel bloggers are recommending. The big question: Has ANYONE been able to book QR business class through AA using points lately? Or even coach with points?
Have 2xJ US-DOH on hold for Oct 2023 but having trouble with connecting flight to MLE. Booked 330 days out. Both US/AU agents say they only see Y availability, yet JL and awardnexus (BA) both show 2 J seats on each of 4 daily flights. I've called several times over several days. Have another passenger on similar routing but a separate award & different flights, and one time an agent said "well it wasn't there a minute ago but now I can see one seat" so grabbed DOH-MLE J for that one. However the remaining 95% of the time everyone is seeing zero availability in J, and no one ever saw 2. And this seems to be specific ex-DOH, had no trouble whatsoever with outbound from US. (BTW JL was showing availability separately for US-DOH, DOH-MLE, and US-DOH-MLE combined, so don't think married segment logic is at play here).
noeatbutgo likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:21 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by iceman06
Have 2xJ US-DOH on hold for Oct 2023 but having trouble with connecting flight to MLE. Booked 330 days out. Both US/AU agents say they only see Y availability, yet JL and awardnexus (BA) both show 2 J seats on each of 4 daily flights. I've called several times over several days. Have another passenger on similar routing but a separate award & different flights, and one time an agent said "well it wasn't there a minute ago but now I can see one seat" so grabbed DOH-MLE J for that one. However the remaining 95% of the time everyone is seeing zero availability in J, and no one ever saw 2. And this seems to be specific ex-DOH, had no trouble whatsoever with outbound from US. (BTW JL was showing availability separately for US-DOH, DOH-MLE, and US-DOH-MLE combined, so don't think married segment logic is at play here).
Although we are looking at different routes, it seems we are facing the same problem, which is, no premium cabin seats (J or Z) in ex-DOH flights. I will call KR/AU desk once per day until this Wed before ticketing so I will share my progress here.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:12 pm

So I called both KR and AU desk again- very weird.

KR agent- "I can't see any availability but zero for F seats in DOH-CAI... but I can try to make a booking despite zero availability, weird. Oh but Qatar system constantly is cancelling my request. Perhaps it is too far away (Oct 2023)...? I don't know. I've never experienced this kind of issue so far."

AU agent- "Oh there are 2 F seats (on a different date on Oct 2023 versus above case) but I can't grab it. Qatar system doesn't accept my request."

KR agent (again)- "Well unlike our AU desk, I can't see any availability in F seats on that day"

Well I think I have to book a Y seat in DOH-CAI for now and wait and see as it is almost a year from now.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:15 am
pjs

Hi all - Flying ATL-ORD-DOH-NBO in F on AA and J on QR via AA award tickets. We have about a 5 hour layover in ORD so plan to access the Flagship Lounge on arrival and then go to T5 for our QR flight. We only have a 1:20 layover in DOH thanks to some minor schedule changes. I was leaning toward having everyone do carry-on only due to the risk of luggage getting delayed or lost with the two layovers and shorter DOH connection. However, our ATL-ORD flight is on an E175 so I'm concerned that regular carry-ons won't fit and we'll end up having to check bags.

1) Do regular 22in carry-ons fit in E175 bins on the 2-seat side of F? Or will AA FAs be nice and put them in the closet?
2) If we have to check on board, will we be able to grab our bags in the jetway at ORD or will they check them all the way to NBO?

Thanks! Feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pjs
Hi all - Flying ATL-ORD-DOH-NBO in F on AA and J on QR via AA award tickets. We have about a 5 hour layover in ORD so plan to access the Flagship Lounge on arrival and then go to T5 for our QR flight. We only have a 1:20 layover in DOH thanks to some minor schedule changes. I was leaning toward having everyone do carry-on only due to the risk of luggage getting delayed or lost with the two layovers and shorter DOH connection. However, our ATL-ORD flight is on an E175 so I'm concerned that regular carry-ons won't fit and we'll end up having to check bags.

1) Do regular 22in carry-ons fit in E175 bins on the 2-seat side of F? Or will AA FAs be nice and put them in the closet?
2) If we have to check on board, will we be able to grab our bags in the jetway at ORD or will they check them all the way to NBO?

Thanks! Feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong place.
If I recall correctly, if your standard-sized carry-ons will not fit, you can check them at the jetway, and once you get off the plane, they will bring them back on to the jetway (i.e. they will not check them all the way through)
Perhaps others can provide additional data points- I would hate to give you incorrect information.
pjs likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:45 am
pjs

If I recall correctly, if your standard-sized carry-ons will not fit, you can check them at the jetway, and once you get off the plane, they will bring them back on to the jetway (i.e. they will not check them all the way through)
Perhaps others can provide additional data points- I would hate to give you incorrect information.
Thanks - I actually looked it up and it says this:

Valet bags

Regional flights on American Eagle® planes have limited overhead bin space. If your carry-on is larger than the personal item dimensions, you must valet your bag before boarding.* We’ll tag and check your bag at the gate for you free of charge. When you arrive, you’ll receive your bag on the jetbridge after exiting the plane.

Then it says this below:
*Embraer ERJ-175 planes allow carry-on bags and don’t offer valet service.

It's a bit confusing.

Last edited by pjs; Nov 14, 2022 at 7:46 am Reason: Updated
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
pjs Some information here:
What is the overhead cabin size for Embraer 175?
pjs likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:13 am
pjs

Sounds good! Thanks so much for finding this.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:23 am

Hi all, one of my upcoming QR flights in business, booked with AA miles just got downgraded from an A330 to an A320. That's a change from 24 business class seats (lay-flat, or at least almost) to 12 recliner seats. The flight is about 4 hours long. There are two things that QR's computer system could do with me here and I'm curious what my recourse is in each situation (this just happened, so my PNR, while reflecting the new equipment, isn't yet showing any seat assignment changes, etc, I'm just trying to get ahead of my options):

1. I stay in business class. This isn't a terrible scenario for a daytime flight of that length, but is there any chance of getting QR (via AA) to move me to a different flight that retains a lie-flat business product? I'd guess not, but I figured I'd ask.

2. I get downgraded to economy. Given that I'm a non-status passenger on a mileage booking this is probably pretty likely. In that case I would imagine I have a better case than in scenario 1 to call and get rebooked? Is this one of those "ask AA for the QR liaison to open space on a different flight" scenarios? Any tips, assuming this is even possible, to make this work out in my favor? To be honest, I'd like to get on the earlier flight anyway, so if there's a way to make that work I'd have no problem with this option.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:12 pm

Hey Everyone, booked JFK-DOH-MLE in March 2022, for travel in Jan 2023. All on QR. At the end of October 2022 QR cancelled the JFK-DOH (QR704) flight on the day of our travel, and moved us 1 full day later, with the same itinerary. We have hotels and other flights booked, that can't really be changed (not without lots of headaches and fees).

Called AA immediately and they put alternatives through to the QR liaison, and now 3 weeks later I finally reached out to the AA twitter team after calling multiple times and AA not being able to help. Twitter team said it was rejected immediately, and wasn't actually pending. Not sure if the multiple times the phone agents said it was still pending when I called for updates was wrong, and its still pending?

Have called AA again and I can move us to the AA flight JFK-DOH in J, and then connect in Y on QR DOH-MLE, but trying to avoid that. Are the odds basically 0 of us getting re-accommodated on the other JFK-DOH (QR 702) flight that leaves 12 hours earlier?

Any ideas much appreciated. If we're in AA J JFK-DOH, and then QR Y DOH-MLE, would we have QR lounge access in DOH?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think that your odds of getting on the other QR flight are low

You would be entitled to lounge access by virtie of the business class flight to Doha
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by joburghfx
Hey Everyone, booked JFK-DOH-MLE in March 2022, for travel in Jan 2023. All on QR. At the end of October 2022 QR cancelled the JFK-DOH (QR704) flight on the day of our travel, and moved us 1 full day later, with the same itinerary. We have hotels and other flights booked, that can't really be changed (not without lots of headaches and fees).

Called AA immediately and they put alternatives through to the QR liaison, and now 3 weeks later I finally reached out to the AA twitter team after calling multiple times and AA not being able to help. Twitter team said it was rejected immediately, and wasn't actually pending. Not sure if the multiple times the phone agents said it was still pending when I called for updates was wrong, and its still pending?

Have called AA again and I can move us to the AA flight JFK-DOH in J, and then connect in Y on QR DOH-MLE, but trying to avoid that. Are the odds basically 0 of us getting re-accommodated on the other JFK-DOH (QR 702) flight that leaves 12 hours earlier?

Any ideas much appreciated. If we're in AA J JFK-DOH, and then QR Y DOH-MLE, would we have QR lounge access in DOH?
I wouldn't get my hopes up and would try to change accomodation plans ASAP, yes. It's one of the pitfalls of award travel with partners, sadly. I'd probably pick the earlier AA flight.
joburghfx likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:36 pm

Is it not possible to attach an intra-gulf leg in F (which is really J) to a transatlantic leg in J? For example I have booked JED-DOH in Y and DOH-YUL in J. I see there's 2 F seats available on the same JED-DOH flight I have booked but AA keeps telling me that Qatar won't allow them to swap Y to F. What gives?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by najama2
Is it not possible to attach an intra-gulf leg in F (which is really J) to a transatlantic leg in J? For example I have booked JED-DOH in Y and DOH-YUL in J. I see there's 2 F seats available on the same JED-DOH flight I have booked but AA keeps telling me that Qatar won't allow them to swap Y to F. What gives?
See my posts above. For now it seems it is not allowed by QR.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by najama2
Is there availability for a 1st class award booking on JED-DOH in conjunction with the DOH-YUL flight? - just beig available standalone is not enough

It is possible that QR doesn't allow such changes and that you would need to start afresh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.