Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by shadymg
So if all that is correct, then what kind of magic are they using for the original Upgrade List order then? Because there's no way that person above should be #21 if I'm #4 , right? I know I'm overthinking this....haven't gotten much sleep (damn you premium economy lol)
Lets assume no 1 is a CK in Y or PE seeking to upgrade to J.
Then 2-10 are EXP's in Y or PE seeking to upgrade to J. They will be ranked by annual EQD - price of ticket doesn't matter.
11-15 are non EXP's in Y or PE seeking to upgrade to J with miles. Not sure how they are ranked.

16-17 are EXP's in J seeking to upgrade to F
18-30 are non-revs seeking whatever they can get

So assuming three open seats in J, 1-3 will clear.
Assuming four open seats in F, 16-19 will clear.

Does that explain why 4-15 are skipped on an international three class?

and ... when you look at the standby list and the upgrade list, keep in mind that most of the people on the bottom of the list are actually non-revs who can get vacant seats in any class after eligible revenue pax are accommodated in that class. In other words, J will often be full on international three class flights and there will be disappointed rev pax who don't have upgrades clear. F, however, is more likely to have an empty seat or two and non-revs will be able to get them if there are no rev pax seeking to upgrade to F.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that it really matters, but I think it's probably more likely that the folks at the bottom of the list were non-rev's cleared directly into F seats; unlikely for revenue upgrades not to have cleared in advance if there were 4 (of 8) empty seats. Unless of course there were 4 no-shows/misconnects.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
I think I've seen on here that nonrevs can upgrade from Y to F, so that may account for #21 .
The confusing thing is there are multiple types of upgrades on this flight... as well as employee non-revenue tickets), but AA concatenates them all into a single upgrade list.
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
18-30 are non-revs seeking whatever they can get

and ... when you look at the standby list and the upgrade list, keep in mind that most of the people on the bottom of the list are actually non-revs who can get vacant seats in any class after eligible revenue pax are accommodated in that class. In other words, J will often be full on international three class flights and there will be disappointed rev pax who don't have upgrades clear. F, however, is more likely to have an empty seat or two and non-revs will be able to get them if there are no rev pax seeking to upgrade to F.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not that it really matters, but I think it's probably more likely that the folks at the bottom of the list were non-rev's cleared directly into F seats; unlikely for revenue upgrades not to have cleared in advance if there were 4 (of 8) empty seats. Unless of course there were 4 no-shows/misconnects.

Unlike at UA, nonrevs at AA don't show up on the upgrade list. So while they can upgrade straight from Y to F they wouldn't be on that list in the first place.

Last edited by dfw88; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dfw88
Unlike at UA, nonrevs at AA don't show up on the upgrade list. So while they can upgrade straight from Y to F they wouldn't be on that list in the first place.
Sure about that? I don't fly nonrev a lot but seems like I've been on the upgrade list ...
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Sure about that? I don't fly nonrev a lot but seems like I've been on the upgrade list ...
Yes. I nonrev (almost) weekly and I never shown up on the upgrade list, despite the fact that I've flown first and business several times, both domestically and internationally. Now, I've only been in a position to nonrev for about the past 18 months, so it's possible that things were different before I started.

Also, I just checked in Sabre and no nonrev has been given a seat in anything other than coach on the LAX-HKG flight in the last 3 days.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Then 2-10 are EXP's in Y or PE seeking to upgrade to J. They will be ranked by annual EQD - price of ticket doesn't matter.
11-15 are non EXP's in Y or PE seeking to upgrade to J with miles. Not sure how they are ranked.
SWU and Miles+Copay upgrades are viewed equally. Could be scattered throughout, with rolling EQD's being the controlling factor.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
The confusing thing is there are multiple types of upgrades on this flight (economy to business, business to first, and (potentially) displaced passengers from other flights as well as employee non-revenue tickets), but AA concatenates them all into a single upgrade list. So it can look like upgrades are clearing from random parts of the list, when actually (for instance) you're seeing the top 3 on the Y->J list clear, and the top 2 on the J->F list (starting at position 18 on the combined list), and so on.
Learn a new word every day!
Science Goy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by reeg2
Learn a new word every day!
It can be a useful Excel function as well.
ijgordon, apeortdz and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by dfw88
Yes. I nonrev (almost) weekly and I never shown up on the upgrade list, despite the fact that I've flown first and business several times, both domestically and internationally. Now, I've only been in a position to nonrev for about the past 18 months, so it's possible that things were different before I started.

Also, I just checked in Sabre and no nonrev has been given a seat in anything other than coach on the LAX-HKG flight in the last 3 days.
Thank you! So ... these folks lower on the list who cleared were revenue pax in J upgrading to F.

Originally Posted by ACSBill
SWU and Miles+Copay upgrades are viewed equally. Could be scattered throughout, with rolling EQD's being the controlling factor.
Well .... I was on an LAX-JFK redeye recently ... that went from J7 with 10 unassigned seats to J0 and no unassigned seats within 24 hours of departure. I looked forlornly at the upgrade list with my name as #2 with 40 names below me (I have 30k spend so far this year so probably 40k annualized). Suddenly, number 3 went to number 2 and I dropped to number 3. I checked with the Aangels at the AC who said he used a swu and bumped me. I had a 9 AM work meeting and needed to be on my game so I decided to use a SWU and went back to number 2.

Still not sure what the deal was with +1 ... he was the only one who cleared. He certainly didn't look like someone who was a CK or had higher spend than me but looks can be deceiving ....
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:57 pm

Well .... I was on an LAX-JFK redeye recently ... that went from J7 with 10 unassigned seats to J0 and no unassigned seats within 24 hours of departure. I looked forlornly at the upgrade list with my name as #2 with 40 names below me (I have 30k spend so far this year so probably 40k annualized). Suddenly, number 3 went to number 2 and I dropped to number 3. I checked with the Aangels at the AC who said he used a swu and bumped me. I had a 9 AM work meeting and needed to be on my game so I decided to use a SWU and went back to number 2.
Yes, it sounds like you were going for a complimentary EXP upgrade. Any EQD level EP using a SWU would go before that. You could have gone to that same AAngel and offered to use 15k miles + $75 copay and you would have still moved back to #2 .

Upgrading Priority:
1. Elite Status
2. Upgrade Type: 1)SWU and Miles+Copay 2)500mupg (Complimentary for CK, EP, and PP) on purchased tickets 3)500mupg (complimentary) on award tickets
3. Rolling EQD
4. Booking Code
5. Request Date/Time

Would be very rare to see it get past #3 .
C17PSGR and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ACSBill
Yes, it sounds like you were going for a complimentary EXP upgrade. Any EQD level EP using a SWU would go before that. You could have gone to that same AAngel and offered to use 15k miles + $75 copay and you would have still moved back to #2 .

Upgrading Priority:
1. Elite Status
2. Upgrade Type: 1)SWU and Miles+Copay 2)500mupg (Complimentary for CK, EP, and PP) on purchased tickets 3)500mupg (complimentary) on award tickets
3. Rolling EQD
4. Booking Code
5. Request Date/Time

Would be very rare to see it get past #3 .
Thanks. Makes more sense now.

For the OP, 500 mupg's don't apply internationally.

Is there a distinction for an EXP on international between a SWU vs mileage and cash upgrade
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: CK or bust
You might mean to say that 500-mile upgrades apply to "the next class of service for travel within North America on eligible American Airlines marketed and operated flights" per AA so they are indeed a valid upgrade instrument to international locations such as Mexico, Guatemala, etc... that fall into what AA defines as North America.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Thanks. Makes more sense now.

Is there a distinction for an EXP on international between a SWU vs mileage and cash upgrade
Sure, for the OP, there is a distinction. I apologize, I was speaking in regards to your situation. As to your question here, there isn't a distinction between using either a SWU or Miles&Copay. Same priority.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:11 pm

Non-revenue employees flying on confirmed tickets (known internally as A passes) will show on the upgrade list, at the very bottom. Non-revenue traveling standby will not show on the upgrade list.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Isn't there some linkage between what the OP is reported to the fact that companion/sponsor CK/EXP's are making with traveling partners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.