FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost upgrade / upgraded seat shenanigans? [master thread]
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:57 pm
ACSBill

Programs: Hilton Dmd; AA Gld
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Well .... I was on an LAX-JFK redeye recently ... that went from J7 with 10 unassigned seats to J0 and no unassigned seats within 24 hours of departure. I looked forlornly at the upgrade list with my name as #2 with 40 names below me (I have 30k spend so far this year so probably 40k annualized). Suddenly, number 3 went to number 2 and I dropped to number 3. I checked with the Aangels at the AC who said he used a swu and bumped me. I had a 9 AM work meeting and needed to be on my game so I decided to use a SWU and went back to number 2.
Yes, it sounds like you were going for a complimentary EXP upgrade. Any EQD level EP using a SWU would go before that. You could have gone to that same AAngel and offered to use 15k miles + $75 copay and you would have still moved back to #2 .

Upgrading Priority:
1. Elite Status
2. Upgrade Type: 1)SWU and Miles+Copay 2)500mupg (Complimentary for CK, EP, and PP) on purchased tickets 3)500mupg (complimentary) on award tickets
3. Rolling EQD
4. Booking Code
5. Request Date/Time

Would be very rare to see it get past #3 .