Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:10 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I have one more question regarding making changes to award tickets:

I have another AA award ticket I booked last year, and it has 5 segments with international flights.
For this ticket, I was trying to make a change today where I simply wanted to change the first flight on my ticket to an earlier time with the same origin/connecting point and same day.
I thought it should be an easy simple change, but the agent told me I cannot make that change because AA only allows maximum of 4 segments per international award ticket, which is a rule that was introduced sometime last year.

My ticket was issued before that rule was introduced so I think I should still be able to make a change to my ticket within AA's rules except the 4 segment cap, because I booked it before AA introduced this limitation.
I tried to explain the situation to a couple of different agents but they simply kept saying that I cannot make further changes to my ticket because of the max segment cap.

I think it's unfair to lock my ticket in a state where I cannot make any further changes to it...
Does anyone know what AA's official rules are in situations like this, where one already holds an international award ticket with more than 4 segments and wants to make a simple change like changing flight times/dates for the same origin/destination?

Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:10 pm

I have another AA award ticket I booked last year, and it has 5 segments with international flights.
For this ticket, I was trying to make a change today where I simply wanted to change the first flight on my ticket to an earlier time with the same origin/connecting point and same day.
I thought it should be an easy simple change, but the agent told me I cannot make that change because AA only allows maximum of 4 segments per international award ticket, which is a rule that was introduced sometime last year.

My ticket was issued before that rule was introduced so I think I should still be able to make a change to my ticket within AA's rules except the 4 segment cap, because I booked it before AA introduced this limitation.
I tried to explain the situation to a couple of different agents but they simply kept saying that I cannot make further changes to my ticket because of the max segment cap.

I think it's unfair to lock my ticket in a state where I cannot make any further changes to it...
Does anyone know what AA's official rules are in situations like this, where one already holds an international award ticket with more than 4 segments and wants to make a simple change like changing flight times/dates for the same origin/destination?

Thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by agjil

Thank you.
When is the departure date? If more than 60 days, good chance there will be a schedule change, should create some type of conflict or rule violation, opportunity to request another itinerary. When you receive the change notification, do some research before calling, have a specific option in mind.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:54 pm

Thank you.
When is the departure date? If more than 60 days, good chance there will be a schedule change, should create some type of conflict or rule violation, opportunity to request another itinerary. When you receive the change notification, do some research before calling, have a specific option in mind.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:03 pm

Good luck finding 4 saaver awards to most anywhere. I would start 2 at a time, see what can be cobbled together.

There is often better AA saaver award availability on AS metal, who fly to all islands from multiple west coast cities: PDX, SAN, SEA, SJC.

In addition to HNL, check KOA availability.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:03 pm

Good luck finding 4 saaver awards to most anywhere. I would start 2 at a time, see what can be cobbled together.

There is often better AA saaver award availability on AS metal, who fly to all islands from multiple west coast cities: PDX, SAN, SEA, SJC.

In addition to HNL, check KOA availability.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Departure date is in about a month, and there have been a few schedule changes already.
The flight I was trying to change was not affected by the schedule change though, so I'm not sure if the schedule change can help in my situation, but I guess it's worth asking.
Dealing with agents who are just unwilling to help is so frustrating...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Departure date is in about a month, and there have been a few schedule changes already.
The flight I was trying to change was not affected by the schedule change though, so I'm not sure if the schedule change can help in my situation, but I guess it's worth asking.
Dealing with agents who are just unwilling to help is so frustrating...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thank you.
1) We have merged your query into the MileSAAver Help Desk thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for useful information.

2) AA changed the rules, you then wanted to change your ticket preserving the old rules. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. But for all changes you can (and can’t) make, see the Wikipost details in AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd).

/Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thank you.
1) We have merged your query into the MileSAAver Help Desk thread. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for useful information.

2) AA changed the rules, you then wanted to change your ticket preserving the old rules. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way. But for all changes you can (and can’t) make, see the Wikipost details in AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd).

/Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Thanks for your suggestion. I've looked into those and will continue to. The surprising thing is that there are four tickets to HNL on the day I want to fly!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:54 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I've looked into those and will continue to. The surprising thing is that there are four tickets to HNL on the day I want to fly!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
The problem you are running into is called "married-segment availability." The LAX-OGG award seats are available to passengers originating at SFO, but not to passengers originating at DFW.

Keep in mind that AA now permits up to 18 hours to connect between the Mainland and Hawaii on an all-AA itinerary, but aa.com might not show such connections even if they are available. Search for segments individually, and if you find anything suitable, put them on hold; then call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award, reminding the agent of the special 18-hour connection rule.
Thanks for letting me know about the "married-segment availability." I had hoped they could work around it, but it looks like a no go. I'll keep looking - the 18 hour advice is great as well.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
The problem you are running into is called "married-segment availability." The LAX-OGG award seats are available to passengers originating at SFO, but not to passengers originating at DFW.

Keep in mind that AA now permits up to 18 hours to connect between the Mainland and Hawaii on an all-AA itinerary, but aa.com might not show such connections even if they are available. Search for segments individually, and if you find anything suitable, put them on hold; then call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award, reminding the agent of the special 18-hour connection rule.
Thanks for letting me know about the "married-segment availability." I had hoped they could work around it, but it looks like a no go. I'll keep looking - the 18 hour advice is great as well.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

Do I have a chance?

Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade from premium economy to business using miles on AA716 PHL-MUC. I was told that there's no upgrade inventory but I was placed on the waitlist. I am Platinum and I am also trying to upgrade my mom, who has no status, and is on a separate PNR. They put in a note not to split the party as I told them I only wanted to upgrade if we could both be upgraded.

Some questions:
  1. Is there any way to find out where I am on the waitlist? The agent said she couldn't tell me.
  2. Do I stand a chance here?
  3. For upgrades using miles (vs. "status upgrades"), how is the waitlist ranked? (And am I using the right terms here?)
  4. EF shows J7 U0 C0. C is what I want, right? If the J bucket isn't eaten up by folks booking with miles, would they open up that inventory for C, or would they start using that for status upgrades? How does that work?
Many thanks. I couldn't find much with search because I don't think I know the right words to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.