Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:52 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Did you take the issue up with your credit card company?
nope, for the first flight they've told me is a LAN problem and I have to deal with them as the ticket was 004. (good luck for me on that one after 1.5 years)

for the second one, probably the Y is more expensive than the I class I paid, and who knows how to calculate the fare difference for only one segment...
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The COC explain exactly how it's calculated. You can call and they will give you a figure.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Because there are certain fares that are essentially "instant upgrades" and have conditions stipulated in the detailed fare rules that state you will be accommodated in the same class of service IF there are seats available in the same fare class (e.g. P or A) or on the next flight with such, or you can take the downgrade to Economy and fly on the next flight.

I have seen such fares, have purchased such fares and during irrops in DFW had the option of remaining overnight to fly in F cabin the next day or fly out on the next flight in Y. There is no money due back, and no compensation for that matter - and it was clearly stated in the detailed fare rules.

If I had wanted greater flexibility I could have paid much more for a full F fare (which I did not). Discounted tickets come with restrictions and different terms than nondiscounted tickets (it's pretty simple, because if they didn't who would bother paying the difference?)

Originally Posted by shortkidd
If you purchased 1st Class and didn't get first class I do not understand why you would not get a credit for the difference.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Downgrade Compensation

Hi,

So AA2 has just had an equipment change which not only means that there is no longer F on board (in which I was booked), but they have switched it from a 762 to a dreaded 757

Will AA compensate me for this? Which is the best route to ask for compensation?

Thanks,

GGL Flyer
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
look at the fares....you should get some money back....if you got an ug, prob nada....
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Customer Service. Don't be mad in your e-mail or phone call, be factual and polite. If your fare basis warrants it, you should get a refund for the difference. Any stickers or SWU's used will be returned, plus some miles for the inconvenience.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Various
You can also request to go on a later flight that does have the class of service that you paid for or were upgraded to.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by clacko
look at the fares....you should get some money back....if you got an ug, prob nada....
I got a $300 voucher when downgraded on an ORD Kansas City RJ flight that lost F due to equipment change to all Y. I didn't pay for F but was upgraded. I actually felt bad taking the voucher.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GGL Flyer
Hi,

So AA2 has just had an equipment change which not only means that there is no longer F on board (in which I was booked), but they have switched it from a 762 to a dreaded 757
The 757 does have 1st class

The fare difference , if any will be refunded
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The 757 does have 1st class

The fare difference , if any will be refunded
True - according to marketing. Qantas is more honest about that - 2-class domestic = Business/Econ. AA does First/Econ - unless they acually operate a 3-class, and THEN it's First/Business/Econ. (As you well know.)

I've have several "front cabin" 2-class domestic FA's in the front cabin insist on calling that cabin "Business" - and while incorrect by AA marketing, it seems more appropriate to me. YMMV
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I've have several "front cabin" 2-class domestic FA's in the front cabin insist on calling that cabin "Business" - and while incorrect by AA marketing, it seems more appropriate to me. YMMV
Yes, they are business class cabins in all truth except for AA marketing--and only in US/CA.

As a matter of fact, the transcon "F" fares of the 2-class cabin flights map into the transcon J fares of the 3-class cabins (the transcon F fares of the 3-class cabins being higher). So you did get a downgrade; whether the customer service rep understands the subtleties of the case it's another matter.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
True - according to marketing. Qantas is more honest about that - 2-class domestic = Business/Econ. AA does First/Econ - unless they acually operate a 3-class, and THEN it's First/Business/Econ. (As you well know.)

However , as far as AA is concerned, it is 1st class since AA2 is , iirc, a domestic US service, the higher of the 2 cabins is sold as 1st class , so the claim that 1st class is offered is flawed

I do agree, of course, that 1st class on one of the 3 class aeroplanes is better than 1st class on a 757

Looking at the fare rules, the fares do not indicate relationship to whether 2 or 3 classes is offered, simply based on flight number. For AA2 , the same premium fares are offered regardless of aeroplane type
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at the fare rules, the fares do not indicate relationship to whether 2 or 3 classes is offered, simply based on flight number. For AA2 , the same premium fares are offered regardless of aeroplane type
That's because there's only one aircraft type scheduled.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any two-class JFK<->LAX flights scheduled at the moment to serve as a direct comparison, but where two-class and three-class options exist in the same market (e.g., JFK<->SFO), hillrider is correct that the two-class F fares are generally the same as the three-class J fares.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
That's because there's only one aircraft type scheduled.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any two-class JFK<->LAX flights scheduled at the moment to serve as a direct comparison, but where two-class and three-class options exist in the same market (e.g., JFK<->SFO), hillrider is correct that the two-class F fares are generally the same as the three-class J fares.
I do agree that this is the case in general, however the ( strange imo ) way the fare rules are written, rather than state that the 1st class fare is valid on those with 2 class or that it is valid on 3 class flights, the rules simply specify the specifc flight numbers that the fare applies to

I would hope that AA customer service would refund the difference to a business class fare if the passenger does end up in 1st class on a 2 class aeroplane though, though I don't see that will be simple just to get reservations to reprice it to a lower rate
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by hillrider
Yes, they are business class cabins in all truth except for AA marketing--and only in US/CA.
Not even Canada: all US-Canada routes I have flown on have Business/Economy classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.