Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see the current thread here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I was flying ORD-PHL-MUC all on AA metal, my ord to phl flight was delayed due to mechanical issues causing AA to rebook me ORD-YYZ-LHR-MUC on AA and BA metal. AA gave me a 35 minute illegal connection in customs in YYZ which I didn't realize right away so I missed the connection again. I was rebooked YYZ-MUC on Lufthansa however AA rebooked me after the bag cutoff so LH turned me back to AA. Finally AA rebooked me YYZ-LHR-MUC on BA. Since I arrived at the final destination 8 hours late do I qualify for EU261 or do I not since the AA domestic flight was delayed causing all of this? This was a business extra ticket not a regular award ticket.
Of course not, but you could ask for a $200 voucher and likely get it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I was flying ORD-PHL-MUC all on AA metal, my ord to phl flight was delayed due to mechanical issues causing AA to rebook me ORD-YYZ-LHR-MUC on AA and BA metal. AA gave me a 35 minute illegal connection in customs in YYZ which I didn't realize right away so I missed the connection again. I was rebooked YYZ-MUC on Lufthansa however AA rebooked me after the bag cutoff so LH turned me back to AA. Finally AA rebooked me YYZ-LHR-MUC on BA. Since I arrived at the final destination 8 hours late do I qualify for EU261 or do I not since the AA domestic flight was delayed causing all of this? This was a business extra ticket not a regular award ticket.
We have merged your query into the existing thread. Please take a few minutes to read the information in the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are EC261 payments made by AA subject to withholding or even a 1099 for someone resident in the US for tax purposes?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Are EC261 payments made by AA subject to withholding or even a 1099 for someone resident in the US for tax purposes?
No.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mark_T
No, but just as in most EU countries, that does not mean they are not income.

That is dependent, for a US taxpayer, on who paid for the ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
No, but just as in most EU countries, that does not mean they are not income.

That is dependent, for a US taxpayer, on who paid for the ticket.
In which EU countries is EC261/2004 compensation considered taxable income? I am expecting this to yield an amusing answer.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the feedback folks, I couldn't immediately see any way that a 1099 would be issued and if there is no withholding then that's all the answers I needed.

The EU position was never in doubt, for me at least
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
AA flight as follows: MAD-PHL-DCA-CLE. Wacky routing due to AAward ticket. MAD-PHL-DCA on time. DCA-CLE canceled due to MX. Over night in DCA tonight. On a flight in the morning. From what I've been able to determine upstream this looks to be EC261 worthy. Please confirm.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
AA flight as follows: MAD-PHL-DCA-CLE. Wacky routing due to AAward ticket. MAD-PHL-DCA on time. DCA-CLE canceled due to MX. Over night in DCA tonight. On a flight in the morning. From what I've been able to determine upstream this looks to be EC261 worthy. Please confirm.

Thanks in advance.
If all the flights are on AA metal then yes, this is legally covered by EC261. But you will probably have to fight hard to get it - there is only the Moroccan airline case to support you, but it is in a precedent-setting court.

If I were you I would find the relevant equivalent of Bott & Co (in the UK) and see if they will take it on for you. Bott and Co will fight all the way for just a share of your compensation (about 30% including VAT). I don't know whose jusridiction you'd be looking for to fight this one.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If all the flights are on AA metal then yes, this is legally covered by EC261. But you will probably have to fight hard to get it - there is only the Moroccan airline case to support you, but it is in a precedent-setting court.

If I were you I would find the relevant equivalent of Bott & Co (in the UK) and see if they will take it on for you. Bott and Co will fight all the way for just a share of your compensation (about 30% including VAT). I don't know whose jusridiction you'd be looking for to fight this one.
Yes, all flights are on AA metal and one PNR. Very worth going after as there are two PAX.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know why BA323 was delayed on 3/17/19? BA was telling me it was weather related but LHR and CDG did not have rain that day and my incoming flight was late.

Last edited by Pasqualle7; Apr 4, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Anyone know why BA323 was delayed on 3/17/19? BA was telling me it was weather related but LHR and CDG did not have rain that day and my incoming flight was late.
Not sure why this is posted in the AA forum, but you could check out The BA Source if there was a significant delay. Perhaps the incoming flight was from somewhere where there were weather conditions slowing things down.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not sure why this is posted in the AA forum, but you could check out The BA Source if there was a significant delay. Perhaps the incoming flight was from somewhere where there were weather conditions slowing things down.
It was AA ticket stock. Either way I figure someone would have access. The previous flight was LHR-CDG in which the flight left on time and landed at CDG 34 minutes late causing a 39 minute delay for my flight. After checking the weather at both cities with 0% rain at both airports and no high wind gusts.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
you aren't going to get any compensation for a 39 minute delay unless there was a knock onto a connecting flight that delayed you if so you need to provide those details.

But to reiterate it makes no difference who you bought the ticket from or the flight number for EU261 you claim from the operating carrier.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How delayed were you on arrival at LHR? You always claim with the operating carrier. That it was AA stock is not relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.