Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by PHL
I did some Qantas reward searches months out in the future and found numerous LAX/SFO - NAN options on the days they operate the flight. Good info because that's on my bucket list.
At what mileage redemption? Just curious.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:00 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Head

At what mileage redemption? Just curious.

Business class was available. Redeeming through AA that's 80,000 points each way.
Head likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please read the Wikipost regarding FJ awards to NAN etc. These awards can’t be seen on aa.com, and often enough AA personnel can’t see them. Mindpearl (AA contractor in Suva, Fiji operating as AA Australia and New Zealand) can See and book - or put the award on hold somit can be completed with Flights to LAX or SFO (or HNL if you reside in the Islands).
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
I've had no issue booking FJ awards using AS miles, and did so this past October for two seat in J LAX-NAN-SYD. I'm looking to book a similar trip in December (with AA miles this time), but it seems that availability (both for Y and J) just dries up past Dec 9th. Has anyone had this issue - perhaps they block all awards for the Christmas/holiday season?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blootch
I've had no issue booking FJ awards using AS miles, and did so this past October for two seat in J LAX-NAN-SYD. I'm looking to book a similar trip in December (with AA miles this time), but it seems that availability (both for Y and J) just dries up past Dec 9th. Has anyone had this issue - perhaps they block all awards for the Christmas/holiday season?
That may well be.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:46 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried/been able to book something like NAN-AUS/NZ- PPT as one award, flying with FJ from NAN-AUS/NZ and then Air Tahiti Nui from AUS/NZ-PPT?
Old May 27, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Trying to see classic award avail on qantas site

hi. I only have 26k on qantas account, but think bc of my low miles, can't see rewards for following. Trying to see one way classic reward avail for 6 Jan 2019 one way lax-Mel. Want to book through either aa miles or ba//avios. , if I can get Fiji flights economy or business. Can't get on qf through aa, even though aa site says avail, until you chose. Then says flights unavailable. Little lost.. any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkgg
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried/been able to book something like NAN-AUS/NZ- PPT as one award, flying with FJ from NAN-AUS/NZ and then Air Tahiti Nui from AUS/NZ-PPT?
There are some challenges:

The routing must be sold as an unconstructed ticket by the prevailing carrier.

You must not exceed MPM (Maximum Permitted Miles).
Old May 27, 2018, 9:59 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by happytravelskh
hi. I only have 26k on qantas account, but think bc of my low miles, can't see rewards for following. Trying to see one way classic reward avail for 6 Jan 2019 one way lax-Mel. Want to book through either aa miles or ba//avios. , if I can get Fiji flights economy or business. Can't get on qf through aa, even though aa site says avail, until you chose. Then says flights unavailable.
Fiji Air is also a partner of AS. I just looked for availability on the AS site. I see QF in coach to SYD with a connection on to MEL (not sure if it is phantom as you found as I didn't take it thru to purchase) and saw no Fiji availability at all.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

It long ago Fiji Airways (Air Pacific in those days) had more capacity, as they were using Boeing 747-400s leaded in from Singapore Airlines. Those routes are now operated by Airbus A300-200s (and one -300). In my opinion, reduced capacity has hurt Award availability.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Big news
​​​​​​
http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...nce-1026319195

Nice boost for us AA elites. Wonder how this will ultimately impact lounge access when flying FJ.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Big news
​​​​​​
Introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world's premier alliance | Markets Insider

Nice boost for us AA elites. Wonder how this will ultimately impact lounge access when flying FJ.
Oneworld forum Oneworld connecting partner
BA forum Fiji Airways - new BAEC partner incl. earn/burn and status benefits (start date TBC)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Big news
​​​​​​
Introducing oneworld connect - a new way for airlines to link to the world's premier alliance | Markets Insider

When it happens, good news.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
When it happens, good news.
Good news indeed, especially when you consider the high quality lounges QF, CX, and even AA operate at many airports where FJ flies
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
US AAdvantage department seeing FJ Space Again

Just booked my first trip to Fiji. Burning AS miles out, AA miles back. Thought I would add that I called the regular US based AAdvantage department to book, and they had no trouble seeing the FJ award space (which I initially found on using AS site). So it looks like that issue with having to call AA's Australian line for them to see the award space may be over.

Unfortunately no J space was to be found. Doing the SFO gateway and still no J. Going to paradise on miles, so can't complain. Still, at 6'6'' I hope I can score an exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.