Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:22 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by PakThomas
I am attempting to book LAX-CGK-BKK-LAX in economy on Malaysia Airlines using Advantage miles. The LAX-CGK portion on July 28 is no problem, but the return on Aug 17 is more difficult. Both ExpertFlyer and Award Nexus (OW BA) show lots of availability in a segment by segment search, though with a 12 hour layover in Narita which is o.k. When I search for BKK-KUL, for example, AN shows 4 flights (with 9, 3, 3, and 2 seats available), while EF shows those four and adds one additional flight with 1 seat available. However, when I called the AA agent he said he could see only one flight (the one AN showed as having two seats available), which only allows 40 minutes to connect to the next flight. Does anybody know why the availability isn't matching up between AN and EF and AA?
4 out of 5 flights shown below do have Y Award Seats available -- for tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.7/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/BA-OneWorld]
Code:
BKK  Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
KUL  Kuala Lumpur Metro / Intl MY = KUL SZB [WMKK]
SAT  17 Aug 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
MH         797     BKK   06:40     KUL   09:50              CS4  YS9
MH         789     BKK   14:15     KUL   17:25              CS1  YS2
MH         783     BKK   17:05     KUL   20:15              CS1
MH         781     BKK   19:40     KUL   22:50              CS1  YS2
MH         785     BKK   11:05     KUL   14:15              YS3
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Married segments
Would not apply to Award Availability: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Factors
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by KVS
Would not apply to Award Availability: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Factors
Interesting. I think I have seen quite a few experiences in the AA forum suggesting married segments issues exists with awards.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Happy
There are some taxes that are paid at the airport By Regulations such as the departure tax from DPS, that is NOT collected at ticketing, and is to be paid at the airport.

For years, Auckland, NZ did the same and worse, must be paid by cash in local currency! It finally changed to be included in the ticket may be 2 or 3 years ago.
Peru had that as well but I think stopped. Very annoying.

Originally Posted by PakThomas
I'm considering redeeming some AA miles for a ticket from LAX-CGK on Malaysia Airlines, but I'm a little concerned about possible surcharges. In the past when I booked award tickets on Malaysia using Delta miles, it was a crap shoot--sometimes you didn't have to pay at all, while other times they demanded huge surcharges at the airport before they'd let you board the plane. It wasn't that Delta charged you when you booked the award ticket--their taxes and fees were reasonable--it was rather Malaysia Airlines that demanded the money at the airport. Has anyone had this experience when flying on Malaysia Airlines on award tickets booked through AA since they joined OW?
See post#9

Last edited by UA Fan; Feb 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think I have seen quite a few experiences in the AA forum suggesting married segments issues exists with awards.
Exactly right.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:56 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Interesting. I think I have seen quite a few experiences in the AA forum suggesting married segments issues exists with awards.
The issues do, sometimes, exist, but Married Segments as such do not:

From http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Factors:
Note: Segment Marriage Logic is generally intended to apply to Regular Availability only. However, occasionally, it can get [mis-]applied to Award/Upgrade Availability as well, due to a human or system error. If you run across a case of Married Segments when searching for Award/Upgrade Availability, check Availability segment-by-segment to determine the actual Award/Upgrade Availability for each flight.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:11 am
Suspended

Quoting yourself as authority for a disputed proposition is plain weird.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Got a complimentary upgrade on MH flight from DEL to KUL a couple days ago. Made me even more happy about them joining OW.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
Got a complimentary upgrade on MH flight from DEL to KUL a couple days ago. Made me even more happy about them joining OW.
What kind of Business was on this route? I flew it a year back and it was the old style domestic F type seats.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by onlysuites
What kind of Business was on this route? I flew it a year back and it was the old style domestic F type seats.
An upgrade is an upgrade! ^

Doesn't matter what seat it is...I'm happy. But now most flights are operated on new 737-800s!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
An upgrade is an upgrade! ^

Doesn't matter what seat it is...I'm happy. But now most flights are operated on new 737-800s!
I agree with you. Am booked to fly in August so was wondering.

The 737's are only on the day flight. Looks like the 777 is refitted now too. ^
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
2/13, 2/15, and 2/22 flights posted today on my AA account.Class of service and elite bonus posted properly.

No bonus showing up yet for the 2/15 and 2/22 legs...the double mileage bonus that is. It appears that they have this worked out now.....I was expecting a nightmare quite frankly as it usually took longer to post to my MH account !!!

Even with my AA FF number on my boarding pass and in my reservation my last KUL-NRT flight On 2/28 got credited to my Enrich Account

Not good.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

777-200. 2-2-2 seating with angle flat seats, much like AA NGBC.

Will be trip reporting soon.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VS, PX, AI
They didn't look new, but were in god condition. There was a fair slope to them when flat. The recaro seats in the 333 on my next sector were similar. BTW Antarius got upgraded to the seat next to me.

Taking the 738 on this sector on my return in 3 weeks.

Cheers skip
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:51 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
MH miles posting to AAdvantage account

How long is it taking for MH miles to post to the AAdvantage account? It has already been 10 days for me (flown in D class) and it still hasn't posted.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-11.html

Some people are reporting between 5-6 days and a few weeks. My flight from 2/28 has not posted yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.