Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by sellouts
I can confirm this as well. Called web services and they confirmed it's a bug with the website. Ticketed email a few days later showed correctly as business.
This seems to be an AA problem with partner tickets... award ones also.. I had booked 9W award F and it was class "R".. showed up on AA.com as Economy.. but it was F in reality..
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
F cabin booked with no difficulty (award booking) for two people HKG-KUL in June.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Oneworldboy
F cabin booked with no difficulty (award booking) for two people HKG-KUL in June.
Is this bookable on aa.com?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ashkale
Is this bookable on aa.com?
Nope.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by vxmike
There is a hole in AA's partner award chart. Now we can fly MH KUL-MLE however there is no Asia Zone 2 to India/Middle East on the award chart.

This would be nice to redeem with Avios but BA is adding the nasty YQ on MH awards.
There's no hole in the chart. Find the row labelled "Asia 2". Then go over to the column labelled "Indian subcontinent Middle East". It's 22.5K/30K/45K for Y/J/F. Considering that HKG is in Asia 2, it'd be a pretty severe oversight to not have had this on the chart before.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by echoch
Hi, I am a relatively novice international oneworld flyer. I have a trip planned leaving Sunday (2/24)
AA86 ORD-LHR
MH3 LHR-KUL

MH88 KUL-NRT
AA5822 NRT-ORD (Japan Airlines 10)

All flights ticketed in full fare economy Y.

I spoke with the AA Gold Desk about upgrades and the only flight they said I could upgrade would be AA86 for 25,000miles.

Is there anyway to get upgrades on OneWorld partner flights using AA miles?

Any other tips for this trip?
I know that I will be getting double miles for the MH flights... that's nice.

By the way: I am going to talk with the Challenge Desk about doing the PLT Challenge, I think I will be able to complete the challenge by the time I get to KUL as I think I will have 15735 EQM at that point.
Firstly, I think the correct upgrade miles on AA86 should be 15k miles and no co-pay because you're in full fare Y.

Can AA route the return KUL-PVG-ORD so you could use AA on the long TPAC? Alternatively, use miles to get from KUL to PVG (much closer than NRT) and then pay and upgrade PVG-ORD.

EDIT -Just noted that you will already have taken this trip I've left my post because it might of interest to others.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Feb 24, 2013 at 11:07 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: United
Surcharge for Reward Tickets on Malaysia Airlines

I'm considering redeeming some AA miles for a ticket from LAX-CGK on Malaysia Airlines, but I'm a little concerned about possible surcharges. In the past when I booked award tickets on Malaysia using Delta miles, it was a crap shoot--sometimes you didn't have to pay at all, while other times they demanded huge surcharges at the airport before they'd let you board the plane. It wasn't that Delta charged you when you booked the award ticket--their taxes and fees were reasonable--it was rather Malaysia Airlines that demanded the money at the airport. Has anyone had this experience when flying on Malaysia Airlines on award tickets booked through AA since they joined OW?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:44 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
No. I just flew MH on Avois, paid all my surcharges up front, no issue at gate.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Your question has been merged into the existing thread on the Malaysia airlines redemption issue. We strongly urge members to search prior to starting new threads covered in existing ones to avoid information fragmentation when members seek like information.

Thanks. /American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

Originally Posted by PakThomas
I'm considering redeeming some AA miles for a ticket from LAX-CGK on Malaysia Airlines, but I'm a little concerned about possible surcharges. In the past when I booked award tickets on Malaysia using Delta miles, it was a crap shoot--sometimes you didn't have to pay at all, while other times they demanded huge surcharges at the airport before they'd let you board the plane. It wasn't that Delta charged you when you booked the award ticket--their taxes and fees were reasonable--it was rather Malaysia Airlines that demanded the money at the airport. Has anyone had this experience when flying on Malaysia Airlines on award tickets booked through AA since they joined OW?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PakThomas
There are some taxes that are paid at the airport By Regulations such as the departure tax from DPS, that is NOT collected at ticketing, and is to be paid at the airport.

For years, Auckland, NZ did the same and worse, must be paid by cash in local currency! It finally changed to be included in the ticket may be 2 or 3 years ago.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
Like GB I had flights from KUL-NRT and back on 2/1, 2/4, 2/8 post to my AA account. C Class tickets and correct service class bonus and elite status bonus posted. Still waiting for flights on 2/13 and 2/15 to post.

2/13, 2/15, and 2/22 flights posted today on my AA account.Class of service and elite bonus posted properly.

No bonus showing up yet for the 2/15 and 2/22 legs...the double mileage bonus that is. It appears that they have this worked out now.....I was expecting a nightmare quite frankly as it usually took longer to post to my MH account !!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
There are some taxes that are paid at the airport By Regulations such as the departure tax from DPS, that is NOT collected at ticketing, and is to be paid at the airport.

For years, Auckland, NZ did the same and worse, must be paid by cash in local currency! It finally changed to be included in the ticket may be 2 or 3 years ago.
BKK was the same! Used to hate that.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: United
ExpertFlyer/Award Nexus results vs. AA's results for Malaysia Airlines

I am attempting to book LAX-CGK-BKK-LAX in economy on Malaysia Airlines using Advantage miles. The LAX-CGK portion on July 28 is no problem, but the return on Aug 17 is more difficult. Both ExpertFlyer and Award Nexus (OW BA) show lots of availability in a segment by segment search, though with a 12 hour layover in Narita which is o.k. When I search for BKK-KUL, for example, AN shows 4 flights (with 9, 3, 3, and 2 seats available), while EF shows those four and adds one additional flight with 1 seat available. However, when I called the AA agent he said he could see only one flight (the one AN showed as having two seats available), which only allows 40 minutes to connect to the next flight. Does anybody know why the availability isn't matching up between AN and EF and AA?

Last edited by PakThomas; Feb 26, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reason: Forgot to list my return date
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:24 am
Suspended

Married segments.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
MH took about 5 to 6 days to post to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.