Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AirborneLocksmith
All about the Boeing 777-323ER Business and First Class cabins and seats

Link to the Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra seating thread.
Link to the Boeing 777 Seating Guide thread for the latest seat maps

All 8 First and 52 Business seats recline to horizontally flat, have full aisle access and are isolated from other seats; they offer folding flat screen AVOD with touchscreen monitor that offers on-demand entertainment with up to 250 movies, 160 TV shows, 13 radio channels, 375 albums and 20 games, 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power. Ku-Band Satellite Panasonic Wi-Fi is offered for sale. B&O noise cancelling headphones are available for use in flight (generally picked up an hour prior to arrival), and both cabins feature a walk-up bar stocked with snacks and refreshments.

First Class seating
Eight First Class Flagship suites by Safran (nee Zodiac Aerospace), though they are not as spacious a seat as the original 772 F suite, offer 82” / 208 cm of pitch and 36” width in a herringbone 1-2-1 configuration; they become a fully horizontal 6’ 8” bed with retractable arm rests extending the width; turndown service provides a mattress pad, pillow, duvet, amenity kit and pajamas. Seats swivel, diners in D-G First suites can dine face to face with privacy screen lowered. Each suite has two folding tables.
  • A and D, and G and J are not aligned / are slightly offset (contrary to Seatguru and other seat charts).
  • D and G pairs have a high privacy screen that can be raised / lowered.
  • Note that 1D and G have no bins, so bin contention does occur
Link to Ben Schlappig aka Lucky / The Boarding Area review of AA 77W F seat
Link to Rocky Horan's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex [Link does not work]
Link to Steve Case's review of 77W F seat and service on Travel Codex

There are a large folding flat 17" touch screen AVOD, two 110 VAC international multiplug and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input (red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic eXport jack (see here). The seat controls are in an iPhone like touch controller.

Business class seats
All 52 business class seats offer aisle access and convert to fully horizontal flat beds and feature 75” pitch, 26” wide (at its widest point, so less in actuality) fully horizontal seats in a 1-2-1 "pod" configuration offer full AVOD through large flat folding screens and a Panasonic eX2 IFE system, retractable aisle arm rests. The seats move forward and aft to adjust distance fro service table, etc. The headset jack is behind a small stowage door at shoulder height that holds the B&O noise reducing headsets, personal light and air vent, 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power, RCA composite input ( red, white and yellow) and a Panasonic export jack link), touch seat controls, AVOD corded hand controller. Some storage, including shoe stowage, is available. The center seat pairs do not provide close seating for couples.

Link to JPA Design Zodiac Aerospace Cirrus Business Class seat page.
  • 3A-J people like privacy, only single window
  • 4A-4J too noisy (galley and lav close) for some
  • rows 3 and 4 have reports of being somewhat ignored by J cabin crew
  • Row 5 has only single window, close to galley and lavs / noisy
  • Row 7 one window, 7A overhead stowage taken by O2 equipment
  • Row 11 has no windows
  • Row 12 is at the wing root; 13-15 downward views impaired by the wing
  • Row 15 is positioned directly in front of the Economy lavs
Link to The Points Guy 77W J seat and services review by Sarah Silbert and photos by Zach Honig.

Center Business seat (c/o The Points Guy) link to review

Service caveats: some crew variability, and some crews excessively noisy in the galleys. Applies in F, J including J minicabin.
  • The seat selection sites (seatguru, seatexpert) are often mostly correct, and are not 100% reliable in any case (seatguru has 77W seat chart corrected errors).
  • Link to The Points Guy Business a Class and seat review with photos and video
  • Link to (amateurish) Youtube video of 77W seats in mockup
Print Wikipost

AA 77W / 777-300ER / 773 Business & First Class / F & J seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Both classes are in a 2-2-2- configuration
Typo? They're both 1-2-1 and always have been.

I agree that windows in F feel very private once you're settled in; less so initially/at boarding though
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Regardless of the photos, the experience in F is a much more private one. The seats are larger and more comfortable than the J seats. There is lot less activity going on around you and the attention from the FAs is far superior. The little back pillow they give you is worth the price, IMO.

You're certainly in more of a box in the J seats, which you can call either privacy or claustrophobia, depending on your taste.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
The last 4 trips DFW to LHR
booked J uogreaded to F using SWU found F a lot better than J
even though the J product is nice will always try for F
probably getting spoilt now but have to use the SWU somewhere
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:31 pm

Muhh privacy
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GodAtum
IMO looking at the photos, the business class herringbone seats on a 777-3000ER have more privacy then the first class seats AA seem to have got the classes the wrong way around lol
COmpletely wrong, while the photos appear to show more privacy it's not the case, the seats in F are far better then those in J, and each swivels for added privacym I'd take F on a 77w then J any day.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

To each his own. I prefer open spaciousness to the cubbie hole coffin “suites”. Often wonder what people are up to, to need to be so secret. I Much prefer Flagship First and Jal First Skysuites are marvellous. But others like to boxed away.... vive la difference.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:50 am
Suspended

Very happy my upgrade on LHR-LAX cleared immediately on ticketing. So I have a question for the Mavens out there. I have flown F before a number of times on this route but always end up with a middle seat as late bookings on busy flights. Only seat taken was 1A, so I took 1J. This was always my favorite seat on 777 200 in the old days despite people complaining about light noise etc. I see people flag row 1 rhd side as disturbed by light. Never bothered me on 772 and on 788 I choose 1A and it never bothers me there. Is there some hidden factor I have not thought about or do some folks have problems using eye shade? Looking forward to packing my binoculars. I love the swivel seats and the way it makes watching the scenery so much easier than looking forward as you have a much wider field of vision. Appreciate any informed comments about 1J. (PS Always pack an air freshener as AA planes seem plagued with toilets that pass on odors and other passengers with flatulence etc. I find a car dash Febreeze passes TSA and solves the problem.)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by rjlon
Very happy my upgrade on LHR-LAX cleared immediately on ticketing. So I have a question for the Mavens out there. I have flown F before a number of times on this route but always end up with a middle seat as late bookings on busy flights. Only seat taken was 1A, so I took 1J. This was always my favorite seat on 777 200 in the old days despite people complaining about light noise etc. I see people flag row 1 rhd side as disturbed by light. Never bothered me on 772 and on 788 I choose 1A and it never bothers me there. Is there some hidden factor I have not thought about or do some folks have problems using eye shade? Looking forward to packing my binoculars. I love the swivel seats and the way it makes watching the scenery so much easier than looking forward as you have a much wider field of vision. Appreciate any informed comments about 1J. (PS Always pack an air freshener as AA planes seem plagued with toilets that pass on odors and other passengers with flatulence etc. I find a car dash Febreeze passes TSA and solves the problem.)
Just flew that route last week. 1A LAX-LHR...1J LHR-LAX

1A sucks. There is a light in the hallway leading to the cockpit that is one all the time- AND the curtain on that side is transparent! A mesh screen) On 1J there is a solid curtain. You are slightly closer to the galley, but FAs tend to hold it down in F.

2J is, however, my favorite, then 2A.

Having said all this, it IS a day flight in your direction-
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Just flew that route last week. 1A LAX-LHR...1J LHR-LAX

1A sucks. There is a light in the hallway leading to the cockpit that is one all the time- AND the curtain on that side is transparent! A mesh screen) On 1J there is a solid curtain. You are slightly closer to the galley, but FAs tend to hold it down in F.

2J is, however, my favorite, then 2A.

Having said all this, it IS a day flight in your direction-
Thanks.

It is funny about row 1 being special. I think it was all those years where 1A or 1J were the only seats on a 747 that could look forward and you really felt it was your BBJ. Somehow that specialness of first in 747 has never been replicated in other planes. Even with these coffin cubicles, apartment complexes and other excesses on some carriers. Still looking forward to a good window as I love the swivel and using my binoculars which are powerful enough to actual make out what is going on on the ground. Also nice length of flight to watch some mvoies, have a nice lunch and grab a quick nap. At 6'5" having a lay out and snooze is not easy in First on many carriers like BA. Thanks again for the reassurance.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
Arrow Inflatable Mattress Pad

I'll be flying LAX-HKG in J at the end of the month and just had a thought... Even with those Casper bedding enhancements it's still an airline seat cushion that you're lying upon.

Has anyone tried using something like this inflatable backpacking mattress pad for additional sleeping comfort?

Last edited by Ready2SailAway; May 6, 2019 at 12:46 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 6, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Thought about it years ago. 1) takes up a large amount of carry on. 2) Might work in wider First seats but difficult to use in narrow business seat beds. 3) I do not find them any better than the Casper thing you get in F. Only F I find really comfortable is JAL. Still flying TATL to LAX on a77W and looking forward to it. I know it is childish but I love looking out over Canada from swivel seats.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; May 6, 2019 at 1:32 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ready2SailAway
I'll be flying LAX-HKG in J at the end of the month and just had a thought... Even with those Casper bedding enhancements it's still an airline seat cushion that you're lying upon.

Has anyone tried using something like this inflatable backpacking mattress pad for additional sleeping comfort?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d9a9b98f14.jpg
Well, if nothing else, you would be the talk of the town for the crew and nearby passengers!

But seriously, it does seem like a little overkill. I think the mattress pads provided are sufficient, but then again, I can pretty much sleep on anything, anywhere.

Last edited by JDiver; May 7, 2019 at 11:52 am Reason: Downgrade image to link for space purposes
Old May 19, 2019, 2:25 pm

I am flying MIA - LHR. On the American Airlines 77W, First Class is $200 more than Business Class for my itinerary. Is it worth the extra $200 for First Class? Most of the reviews I have read don't make a very big distinction between First and Business Class on this particular plane. Thanks for your help!
Old May 19, 2019, 2:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by HAPPYLIFE
I am flying MIA - LHR. On the American Airlines 77W, First Class is $200 more than Business Class for my itinerary. Is it worth the extra $200 for First Class? Most of the reviews I have read don't make a very big distinction between First and Business Class on this particular plane. Thanks for your help!
For $200, I’d do it. The hard product is nicer, the soft product unpredictable.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HAPPYLIFE
just flew first LHR-LAX. I think First is worth every penny. $200 difference is a steal, half the discount business upgrade copay.
Food is better. I loved the Lobster appetizer and the Artichoke soup (catering will differ ex US). The seats have more length and width and the cabin is much quieter than Business. The B&O headphones were cool but stuck with my Bose. The Pajamas fit which is unusual for airlines and the turn down service was very polite. Ate meal and then relaxed. 11hours seemed to take about an hour. Business is good but more claustrophobic. Appetizers, soup etc are far more basic or missing. I also find food is better cooked and presented in first. Presumably due to higher FA to PAX ratio. So for me as a tall PAX who like the good life, best $200 you will spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.